HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2009, 12:36 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Wow, (6) 0720NETs. What kind of power supply are you pushing all that with? That's a lot of power on hand!
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2009, 01:04 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2007
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray
Wow, (6) 0720NETs. What kind of power supply are you pushing all that with? That's a lot of power on hand!
I will be using 3 x Mascot 2225 28V 20A 588W powersupplies. I will have two 0720 on each powersupply. I looked into getting one big 1500W supply, but it was the same price and weight as three of the Mascots. Also I am more futureproof for when there comes a 500W charger on the market.

I also got a Honda EU20i 2000W generator to use when there is no outlet availlable, but hope to avoid using it. It sort of defeates the point of an electric setup...

The idea is to be able to fly continously on my 100CC convertion on 14s 5500 mAh. 30 minute chargetime and 4 sets of batteries where 3 sets are on the chargers at all times, means I can fly every 10 minutes. I also plan to do a 170CC convertion that will require 14s 16500 for IMAC. With 6 chargers and two sets of batteries, I can fly this every 30 minutes. (I have a 0610DUO for charging smaller packs and keep me busy inbetween.)
Captain Norway is offline Find More Posts by Captain Norway
Last edited by Captain Norway; Mar 31, 2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 01:53 PM
The Eh Team
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2000
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave
I just got the box label done for our big new Wolf Samson II biplane. It's a good example of why the ZS40 series motors are worth the extra money (and not THAT much extra) compared to the average motor. The recommended ZS4025-14 motor can handle 1450W on 6S with a 16x10 prop and remain highly efficient. At that level, the 8.5lb model is ballistic and fully 3D-able. No other motor we tried in the same weight class could come close to the same performance...

Samson II should be in USA on about May 15th, we expect.

D
Hey Dave, LOVE the look of that bipe, 99% sure there's one in my future. We're approaching an average 1 Hyperion ARF per capita in our club right now (Seriously who can resist the old Chipmunk 70e at $115 each?) and the new planes look great. One of our guys bought the Hayate 40 - looks fantastic. Keep up the good work!

Eric
eajohnson is offline Find More Posts by eajohnson
Old Mar 31, 2009, 04:17 PM
I am UNIQUE!
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2008
1,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Norway

One last question: Will the 0720NET be able to do 2C on the 7s 5500 packs, or just barely? I plan to have 6 x 0720NET chargers to charge a 14s 16500 flightpack and was wondering what my chargetime would be.

Erling
The 720NET is 250 Watt Charger, if you can hold an input Voltage of 15V you will be able to charge a 7s pack at 8.5 Amps (slightly more early on in the charge).

Mike
Fig Jam is online now Find More Posts by Fig Jam
Old Mar 31, 2009, 04:39 PM
Joined Oct 2007
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Jam
The 720NET is 250 Watt Charger, if you can hold an input Voltage of 15V you will be able to charge a 7s pack at 8.5 Amps (slightly more early on in the charge).

Mike
I will have 28 volts. I see your math there, I was just not sure on what current I could get in the beginning. I guess it depends on the internal resistance of the pack.

600W charger, please!
Last edited by Captain Norway; Mar 31, 2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 05:55 PM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
3,016 Posts
Hi Dave

Concerning the ZS series prop mounting capabilities ..
could you attach two close views
a) one showing the stator flange and shaft
b) one showing the end bell side
For example on a Zs 30xx

Thanks
Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Apr 01, 2009, 04:08 AM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,938 Posts
Looking great Dave. Don't you love the feeling of a new revolution? Gen-3 batteries, super high efficiency brushless motors...
And the Bipe looks just terrific.
maiden-crash is offline Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Old Apr 01, 2009, 06:21 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Hi Captain,

The ZS40 series are all "backmount only" and come with the M6 collet adapter for the prop included in the box. We will be introducing high-kv motors (22, 30, 40, 55 series) for helicopter and speed airplanes a little later, with front shaft and bolt-on backmount adapter, too.

The new (coming in about 8 weeks) ATLAS SBEC series ESC are about 5.6V output, and we'll probably stay with that for a while. A little later we'll have some OPTO versions of 6S ESC and also 7.2V LiFe receiver packs. Our current DS20 Digital servos can handle the LiFe voltage, and we are working on brushless digital servos in high-voltage versions which could be used with LiFe or LiPo receiver packs.

We are also working on an 8S ESC (likely 90A~110A) which should be a bit cheaper than the 12S, to capitalize on our new 7S Lipo and NET 0720i charger. But it will be OPTO and intended for the LiFe Rx packs, as SBEC really isn't reliable enough in bigger helicopters and/or with really strong/fast servos, such as the our upcoming brushless monsters or JR's new super coreless.

With a 15V+ Power supply you should get about 1.7C at start of charge and maintain at least 1.6C to end. If you set TCS to 95% or lower charges should probably take 30~40 minutes depending on where you start, I think.

Cheers,

David

Quote:
Dave,

Can you confirm if there will be a bolt on prop-adaptor solution for a backmounted ZS40 motor as well? The pictures I have seen do not show any option for this. I hope to use ZS40 with 7s for 70" planes.

I see that you have a new Titan 80A controller with 6V BEC. Will this be availlable for smaller ESCs and the ATLAS ESCs as well? I would very much like to see a 50A 6V ESC for smaller planes.

Any chance there will be an ESC with built in BEC for 7s operation? I have ordered the new 7S 5500 35C to use as 14s in a 100CC and 170CC convertion, and I also plan on using these packs for 70" planes on 7s.

One last question: Will the 0720NET be able to do 2C on the 7s 5500 packs, or just barely? I plan to have 6 x 0720NET chargers to charge a 14s 16500 flightpack and was wondering what my chargetime would be.

Erling
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Old Apr 01, 2009, 11:18 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave
...Beyond that, I'm not going to discuss the development process. ...
You are right of course, I was a bit to nosey/inquisitive there. My apologies.

Does all this mean that the Scorpion-brand motors and controllers will be available via www.aircraft-world.com and www.hyperion-eu.com ?

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Apr 01, 2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2009, 11:46 AM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron van Sommeren
You are right of course, I was a bit to nosey/inquisitive there. My apologies.

Does all this mean that the Scorpion-brand motors and controllers will be available via www.aircraft-world.com and www.hyerion-eu.com ?

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
No worries, Ron. It's natural for modelers who have been around since the beginning of e-flight to have an interest in such things (not that I'm saying you're old!).

But I've found in the past that the more I get into such details, the more I have to provide, and it cuts into the real meat-n-potato discusssions of the products themselves...

Anyway, yes! Air Craft World is the JP Scorpion distributor. We've had the heli motors for a while now, and will be adding the newest ESC and motors soon. New Heading (Hyperion EU parent) is the distributor for Northern EU countries.

Here's a peek at the new 180A 6S (F5B, Pylon etc) ESC in our colors...

Cheers,

David

PS: I am Really sorry not to have the motor datasheets yet. ESC manuals and new Airplane development has taken longer than expected. Will be on it tomorrow and promise to have them up with the next few days...
Old Apr 01, 2009, 12:55 PM
Joined Aug 2006
246 Posts
David you're up late dude...JP time

Any more pics of the new stuff coming our way? e.g larger 55 series motors or any video of the Samson in flight?

BTW, when are the new lipos gonna be available at Aircraft-world? thanks
drstillpatient is offline Find More Posts by drstillpatient
Last edited by drstillpatient; Apr 01, 2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2009, 01:16 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,346 Posts
Subscribing My two favorite brands Hyperion and Scorpion in one product! Oh boy - I'm seeing a lot of my lunch money getting diverted to Hobby stuff *!*
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Apr 01, 2009, 05:03 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
Subscribing My two favorite brands Hyperion and Scorpion in one product! Oh boy - I'm seeing a lot of my lunch money getting diverted to Hobby stuff *!*

Haha I started spending my lunch money ages ago!.. Maybe ill have dinner every 2nd day now

That ESC looks kick ass.

On another topic Dave - Any numbers for the S30 series motors yet? It'd be good to have some hard numbers to do some calcs. Cheers, Chris.
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Apr 01, 2009, 06:05 PM
Joined Oct 2007
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister
Any numbers for the S30 series motors yet? It'd be good to have some hard numbers to do some calcs. Cheers, Chris.
http://www.hyperion-eu.com/catalog/type/1
Old Apr 02, 2009, 06:15 AM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
I just finished the Atlas ESC manual, whew. So the next few days I'll be working of full datasheets for the new ZS motors and G3 Lipo. Hang in there!

David