SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2009, 02:23 AM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McGregor
That totally depends on the plane. Glow conversions are often easier with a front mount, electric planes are built for whatever they're built for.
So there's no particular advantage to running either way? My Balsa model will run either way, with a mount or with a back mount adapter.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2009, 02:28 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
We found that front mounting outrunners can cause vibration that literally cannot be solved with a stiffer mount. (weight and inertia of prop on one side and of motor bell on other works like a lever on the mount face, and looping harmonic vibration results).

That is why every Hyperion model currently in production uses backmount motors. And problem gets worse fast the heavier the motor is... which is why Zs40 series are backmount only.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkill2
So there's no particular advantage to running either way? My Balsa model will run either way, with a mount or with a back mount adapter.
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Old Oct 09, 2009, 02:30 AM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Just run them the way we sell them. They work fine in either case. Seriously, I have 9 years of customer support and literally hundreds of model and motor tests under my belt (probably in the thousands now). As long as the collet or bolt-on adapter is made properly, neither have any issues worth thinking this hard about...

Anyway, which motor series are you using in the model? Both Zs22 and Zs30 have the option to front or back mount (Zs22 using a collet in either case, Zs30 having a bolt-on prop adapter for backmounting).

David

Quote:
So what is the best way to run an airplane, with a back-mount adapter or a collet? Would it be better to turn the shaft (if possible) around and use a collet or get a motor mount so I can use a collet?

+/- of both ways?

I'm new to airplanes and have run both ways and I am still confused. With 99% of hobby stores carrying collets I'm leaning towards them since I can simply run down 2 minutesfrom my house and grab what I need but, I do like the back mount adapters because there's no added weight of a motor mount.

Anyone?
Old Oct 09, 2009, 02:32 AM
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
EDIT:

Never mind you answered in the above post while I was typing.
Old Oct 09, 2009, 02:34 AM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Thanks David.

Are the shafts on the Zs motors reversible or is it better to use the back-mount adapter?

My question pertains to the 3020-08 and 3025 in particular as I have both of these motors.
No, don't mess with the shaft. Just get the backmount adapter set...

D
Old Oct 09, 2009, 02:38 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave
We found that front mounting outrunners can cause vibration that literally cannot be solved with a stiffer mount. (weight and inertia of prop on one side and of motor bell on other works like a lever on the mount face, and looping harmonic vibration results).
Ah, now that makes sense.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Oct 09, 2009, 02:40 AM
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Just run them the way we sell them. They work fine in either case. Seriously, I have 9 years of customer support and literally hundreds of model and motor tests under my belt (probably in the thousands now). As long as the collet or bolt-on adapter is made properly, neither have any issues worth thinking this hard about...

Anyway, which motor series are you using in the model? Both Zs22 and Zs30 have the option to front or back mount (Zs22 using a collet in either case, Zs30 having a bolt-on prop adapter for backmounting).

David
I'm running the Zs 3025-08, the model is an E-flite Pitts model 12 15e. I was just looking for a quick solution after I bent the back mount adapter in a crash (on a different model) so I could fly it tomorrow. I'll order a couple back mount adapters from ACW or ALleRC so I can get it in the air.

EDIT: I do have a motor mount I can use but, I rather just wait for another back mount adapter.
Old Oct 09, 2009, 08:24 PM
Registered Abuser
Purf, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jan 2008
1,005 Posts
Quote:

For Hyperion motors, we recommend as maximum service interval:

Zs22, Zs30, Gs22, Gs30 - Oil every 70~100 flights
Zs40, Gs3032 - Oil rear (roller) bearing every 40~50 flights, others every 100

Hs motors - Oil every 40~50 flights

D
I'll be coming up to a 'service interval' soon for my new ZS3025 but I have never oiled up bearings before for my motors.

So how many bearings are there to oil? (are they all accessable)

and what oil do I use - though I assume the hobby shop would stock something suitable
clintski is offline Find More Posts by clintski
Old Oct 09, 2009, 10:18 PM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
There's two bearings, one at the front where you can see it, and the second at the other end of the stator; you might just be able to get a bit of oil in to that one through the cooling holes in the back of the bell. Otherwise you'll have to open the motor to get to it.
Old Oct 09, 2009, 10:31 PM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintski
I'll be coming up to a 'service interval' soon for my new ZS3025 but I have never oiled up bearings before for my motors.

So how many bearings are there to oil? (are they all accessable)

and what oil do I use - though I assume the hobby shop would stock something suitable
I'd use the Scorpion Bearing Oil. It's really good MIL-spec stuff, I understand. Hyperion will package same and release in 8 weeks or less, fyi.

D
Old Oct 10, 2009, 02:07 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,598 Posts
About (not) oiling bearings, Pontus Claesson works for SKF bearings Sweden
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post11739199

Prettig weekend Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Oct 10, 2009, 03:54 AM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
322 Posts
I checked on the Hyperion website if the motor prop data was updated as promised, but as today it is still the same as before. It was asked by others to be updated and it was promised to be done, but nothing has changed. Therefore we can accept that the given data is correct and the motors are not very efficient.
Swen is offline Find More Posts by Swen
Old Oct 10, 2009, 04:41 AM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Ah, no, we can assume Dave is busy.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 06:36 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Sep 2004
703 Posts
Dave,

I have been looking for a motor for my 3M glider, and found the Z3025-12 to be a great fit, but have also just found out they are no longer produced. Earlier in this thread you said that these "might" be replaced with a "G" series for gliders (for applications like a glider that have a narrow nose). I see there is a G2213 series coming out, but do you know if there will be one similar to the Z3025 series any time soon?
flyboy320 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy320
Last edited by flyboy320; Oct 15, 2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 06:44 PM
Perth, Tasmania, Australia
Joined May 2000
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy320
Dave,

I have been looking for a motor for my 3M glider, and found the Z3025-12 to be a great fit, but have also just found out they are no longer produced. Earlier in this thread you said that these "might" be replaced with a "G" series for glider (for applications like a glider that have having the narrow noses). I see there is a G2213 series coming out, but do you know if there will be one similar to the Z3025 series any time soon?
Interesting, yesterday I made exactly the same inquiry with AirCraft World in Japan and received this response.
"Thank you for your inquiry. As the general rule, please refer to the Kv number of the motor and then find a motor which has similar Kv
as well as the similarity of motor size. So, the ZS3025-06 would be the good replacement. If you can tell us more information about your glider
about weight, lengh and wing span, we can make a suggestion with the latest items."

I pointed out that the ZS3025-06 doesn't have the tapered nose and am awaiting a further response. When I get it I'll let you know.

George
GeorgeC is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeC