HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2009, 03:39 AM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
I tried the Scorpion 4020-12 in Ezcalc with an APC 15x8, 5 cell Neu 3900's and Castle phx 80,

1092 watts out, 8464 RPM, 88.9%

Adjusting KV to get 8220 RPM I get 1000.95 watts out.

Ill bet the RPM data from Hyperion got messed up somewhere.
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2009, 03:50 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,437 Posts
I think it is the current readings that are messed up.

I am sure Dave and his people are looking into this and will be back with an answer soon. As I know Hyperion and Scorpion, the efficiencies are much better than given in the (now existing) motor prop data sheets.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Aug 18, 2009, 04:05 AM
Perth, Tasmania, Australia
Joined May 2000
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad
I tried the Scorpion 4020-12 in Ezcalc with an APC 15x8, 5 cell Neu 3900's and Castle phx 80,

1092 watts out, 8464 RPM, 88.9%

Adjusting KV to get 8220 RPM I get 1000.95 watts out.

Ill bet the RPM data from Hyperion got messed up somewhere.
The data rebell and Dylward have provided closely resemble that from the older generation Z40xx series rather than the new ZSxx(checked here http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_d...40/z40all.htm). I wonder if there is such a big difference with the new ZS motors?

HELP NipponDave??
GeorgeC is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeC
Old Aug 18, 2009, 09:06 AM
Tallinn, Estonia
Joined Aug 2009
14 Posts
Since the new motors are based on Scorpion do they need to have bearing lubricated every 10 flights or so?
tuupola is offline Find More Posts by tuupola
Old Aug 18, 2009, 01:47 PM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,437 Posts
George, that link is turned off. I don't think if it will be of any value to compare the figure anyway as we don't know if the old or new motor data sheets are accurate or not. From what we can see here it is not. What we need is independent test data. I am not going to buy motors just to do test data sheets. I will only buy a motor if I think it is better than the ones I have or want to buy.

... OK, I just tried again and it opened. - No prop data to compare.
Last edited by rebell; Aug 18, 2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 03:08 PM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC
The data rebell and Dylward have provided closely resemble that from the older generation Z40xx series rather than the new ZSxx(checked here http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_d...40/z40all.htm). I wonder if there is such a big difference with the new ZS motors?

HELP NipponDave??

I'm still in the USA till Sept 1st, but will get staff to retest all the Zs motors starting tomorrow. To be frank, the employee who did the early tests on all the pre-production samples wasn't paying close attention and probably made a number of mistakes (including using some old tired battery packs). That employee is no longer withn the company, and we'll put our top tech guy on it this time, and use fresh G3 lipo packs...

David
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Old Aug 18, 2009, 03:12 PM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuupola
Since the new motors are based on Scorpion do they need to have bearing lubricated every 10 flights or so?

No. Like the most recent Scorpion HK and S2 series motors, the ZS are using very good Japanese high speed bearings. I haven't seen any trouble with any of these, nor expect it. Note that the need for bearing lubrication scales with rpm, so for the Hs heli motors it is a good idea to oil the bearings every 50 flights or so if you want the motor to last some years, and it certainly doesn't hurt to oil the bearings in any motor from time to time.

D
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Old Aug 18, 2009, 03:34 PM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,437 Posts
Now that is the spirit David. I compared some of the 30xx series and it seemed more in line with what one is expecting. So far is looks like the 40xx series data needs the most urgent attention. Since someone who did not put his hart in the testing did it, the other series of motors data may be incorrect as well, good idee to retest everything. I know it is time consuming to do the test, but for the RC public it is important to have the correct info. (Need any help?)
Old Aug 18, 2009, 04:08 PM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
Hey Dave, do you have replacement japanese bearings available for the HKII 2216 heli motors? are they the same as the HK 2221's?
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Aug 18, 2009, 05:59 PM
Joined May 2000
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave
I'm still in the USA till Sept 1st, but will get staff to retest all the Zs motors starting tomorrow. To be frank, the employee who did the early tests on all the pre-production samples wasn't paying close attention and probably made a number of mistakes (including using some old tired battery packs). That employee is no longer withn the company, and we'll put our top tech guy on it this time, and use fresh G3 lipo packs...

David
Thanks for the reply Dave. I'll hold off looking for a replacement until the tests are done unless you can suggest an alternative in the meantime? Model is an ESM Adrenaline normally 0.90ic. Looking for local competition performance.

George
Old Aug 24, 2009, 01:34 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,437 Posts
Dave, any results from the new testing yet? Even if it is just from one motor, how does it compare with the "existing" motor prop data?
Old Aug 24, 2009, 02:19 AM
Joined May 2000
354 Posts
I'd like to get some feedback. I realize Dave's in the US but I haven't had a reply from Brian (in Japan) which is unusual.

George

[Edit] Aug25 Brian has replied and they are working on the retests now.
Last edited by GeorgeC; Aug 29, 2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 01:57 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Is there any advantage to selecting the Hyperion HP-HS-2221-3595 over the Scorpion HK-2221-8 V2, except for the fact that it's $.19 cheaper ?

I've been waiting for them to be available for a few weeks, but if there is no advantage I might just pick up the Scorpion.
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2009, 04:10 PM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
3,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave

David
Hello Dave
If you want a french international tester, I could be there to promote your motors.
As a benefit you get a free Hyperion Calc as I do for Scorpion.
I know that there is a good relationship between Hyperion & Scorpion.
So my offer is not unfriendly.
Updating is insured.
Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Aug 29, 2009, 04:57 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,386 Posts
Brilliant idea, I was actually going ask to now that the too companies are more closely related, if scorpion calc could include hyperion motors.

BTW Louis - Scorpioncalc rocks, Thankyou!
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister