SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:34 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
I finally bought a ZS motor. Everything about this motor is a step up in quality, from a layman's point of view. When I opened the new packaging (very nice) I was greeted with a piece of art. The new design 4025's have a smooth can vs the old z series. The anodizing is flawless. the machine work on the new 5 bolt mount is beautiful. Fit and finish are excellent. No slop in the bearings, the can doesn't move fore/aft at all. I was very impressed. The collet has nice grip edges for the prop to bear down on. Very impressed David. You guys definitely stepped up your game. Bravo! Now lets see the performance. ZS4025-10, 6S 3300's, 12◊12 or 13◊12 APC prop on a Hangar 9 Sundowner 50... Should be exciting!

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:49 PM
Registered Abuser
Purf, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jan 2008
1,005 Posts
I have the Xs3025-08 (970kv/200gram) in my 40e extra on 3S.
I had maiden last night and performance was blistering with a 14x7VOX prop.

Dave measured 77amps 850watts for me when testing this motor with a 14x7APC on G3 3300 lipos.
We crudely measured 70amps last night with the Wooden VOX prop but this was with analogue metres so would like to get an e-metre across it.

I would also like to test 13x6.5 and 12x6 as I find it puzzling that the smaller, lighter, AND lower kv Zs3020-10 (922kv) can spin these props at a higher RPM according to the official datasheet??? Maybe some voltage drop with the Zs3025??

Either way the 3020 looks like a great motor for my 25e EDGE which is a little onderpowered at the moment.
clintski is offline Find More Posts by clintski
Old Jul 31, 2009, 03:39 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintski
I would also like to test 13x6.5 and 12x6 as I find it puzzling that the smaller, lighter, AND lower kv Zs3020-10 (922kv) can spin these props at a higher RPM according to the official datasheet??? Maybe some voltage drop with the Zs3025??

Either way the 3020 looks like a great motor for my 25e EDGE which is a little onderpowered at the moment.
Nope. Look at the voltage for the 3025-08 test compared to the 3020-10. The BLUE color is there to alert you that the voltage is much lower than you'll see with a strong lipo pack. The prop data was taken with old G2 packs, and some of those were tired. My tech should have caught that, but didn't. So we will re-test with a lab power supply next month for all the motors, with 3.65V/cell every time, to simulate a G3 pack about a minute into a flight.

Anyway, the Zs3020 is a great motor for the 25e 3D models for aero/3D mix. For 3D prime, use 3014.

D
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Last edited by NipponDave; Jul 31, 2009 at 03:59 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 03:59 AM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash McCrash
I finally bought a ZS motor. Everything about this motor is a step up in quality, from a layman's point of view. When I opened the new packaging (very nice) I was greeted with a piece of art. The new design 4025's have a smooth can vs the old z series. The anodizing is flawless. the machine work on the new 5 bolt mount is beautiful. Fit and finish are excellent. No slop in the bearings, the can doesn't move fore/aft at all. I was very impressed. The collet has nice grip edges for the prop to bear down on. Very impressed David. You guys definitely stepped up your game. Bravo! Now lets see the performance. ZS4025-10, 6S 3300's, 12◊12 or 13◊12 APC prop on a Hangar 9 Sundowner 50... Should be exciting!

Mike
Glad you like it, Mike. We're stepping up the game on all the other products with each new production run, too. Packaging, manuals, materials and design, and especially performance are all getting close attention. A lot of people have been working hard on the new releases, and I like the way things are turning out... We are fortunate to have good people who love their work and the results.

Note again that much of our prop data was done using old tired G2 batteries , so do be sure to start with props on the small side and measure current if using G3 packs...

David
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:06 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2007
2,221 Posts
David,

I know this a motor thread, but could you shine a light on what you have planned for servos?

I think you are well set with the DS20x as a servo that competes in its range, but I would like something to rival the Hitec HS5065MG / Futaba S3156. The DS11-AMB is closest, but it is too slow and the stock servo arms are a bit too flexible.

Also, are you planning to release something to compete with the higher range servos like the Hitec HS7955?

Erling
Captain Norway is offline Find More Posts by Captain Norway
Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:55 PM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,376 Posts
Dave, any news on the ZS backmount motor shafts you mentioned in the other thread? and what's happening with the Atlas ESC?

Mike.
LunaRendezvous is offline Find More Posts by LunaRendezvous
Old Aug 01, 2009, 08:12 PM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,214 Posts
I like the new G3 batteries so much I thought I'd try the new motors. Being a thirty year master machinist the first thing I do is get out a 10x magnifying glass and look at the motor. Very well machined. I was impressed with the power and smoothness of the motor! On my second flight an aileron controll horn pulled out about thirty feet up. Pancaked in flat in the tall weeds. Prop ok, adaptor ok, motor shaft BENT. Web sight says none available, must be a LOT of bent shafts! What gives?
Wingin' Wayne is online now Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Aug 02, 2009, 03:28 PM
Danger is my middle name
USA, DE, Magnolia
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
I recently put a Hyperion ZS-2313-18 in my E-Flight Taylorcraft, the plane flies great but I bent the shaft a little on a nose over landing. I found a replacement shaft for the older Z-2213's, will that work in the new ZS motors?

Thanks,
Dallas
diamondd7711 is offline Find More Posts by diamondd7711
Old Aug 03, 2009, 02:31 PM
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2004
492 Posts
NipponDave...
I am wondering if you could shed some light on the ZS3025 series, specifically comparing them to the Scorpion HK 3026 Series. Considering they are made by them.
I am interested in the ZS3025 -6 Turn and I am trying to find its Scorpion brother for comparison, unless these are spec'd different the closest match is the 6 turn 1400KV but things just donít match up. Can you elaborate on what exactly the differences are?
I have been supporting Hyperion products for some time now and would like to stick with it for my new motor, already tried several of the new G3 VX packs and they ROCK!
Thank You!
rotaryguy is offline Find More Posts by rotaryguy
Old Aug 03, 2009, 07:49 PM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
Dave, very exciting information, congratulations on the new products they look beautiful.

I am going to be ordering a 4025-16 but was surprised to see this new generation of motors still using collet type adapters when they are capable of swinging 18"props at 2000 watts.

What is the reasoning behind using a collet adapter with a motor this powerful?

Are there good ways to keep the collet attached to the shaft so you don't throw the prop and adapter in snaps or other tumbling maneuvers?

Thanks

Ron
ronrandle is offline Find More Posts by ronrandle
Old Aug 04, 2009, 11:41 AM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
I got the Hangar 9 Sundowner 50 out this weekend with the ZS4025-10 on it. 6S and a 12◊12 prop. First flight was with some tired batteries. I think I may have topped 90MPH straight and level (no radar guns around.) The motor came down a little warm to the touch, but not out of sorts. Batteries (3700mAh) were a little more warm than the motor. That night I opened up the fuse a bit (removed an un-needed cross brace) so I could get some better batteries in it. 1250W, 65A, 9510RPM, 106MPH pitch speed. I am pretty sure the plane was breaking 100MPH. Motor actually came down cooler than the previous flight, batteries were luke warm... Thanks David for the great motors.

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Aug 04, 2009, 12:43 PM
Danger is my middle name
USA, DE, Magnolia
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondd7711
I recently put a Hyperion ZS-2313-18 in my E-Flight Taylorcraft, the plane flies great but I bent the shaft a little on a nose over landing. I found a replacement shaft for the older Z-2213's, will that work in the new ZS motors?

Thanks,
Dallas

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Z version shaft and in case anyone else ever needs to change one, the Z version of the shaft work in the ZS version of the motor, at least in the ZS-2213 it does...
diamondd7711 is offline Find More Posts by diamondd7711
Old Aug 04, 2009, 01:13 PM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
I've been in the hobby 29 years, in the RC business 9, and have fielded many thousands of tech reports. Have never seen an single problem with a collet adapter even at well over 4000 watts, as long as the adapter itself is properly made and prop properly tightened. Our adapters included with the Zs are properly made, so just make sure shaft and collet are clean, and tighten the prop nut well.

Frankly, I don't know where this "collets are scary" vibe is coming from recently...

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrandle
Dave, very exciting information, congratulations on the new products they look beautiful.

I am going to be ordering a 4025-16 but was surprised to see this new generation of motors still using collet type adapters when they are capable of swinging 18"props at 2000 watts.

What is the reasoning behind using a collet adapter with a motor this powerful?

Are there good ways to keep the collet attached to the shaft so you don't throw the prop and adapter in snaps or other tumbling maneuvers?

Thanks

Ron
Last edited by NipponDave; Aug 04, 2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2009, 01:14 PM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingin' Wayne
I like the new G3 batteries so much I thought I'd try the new motors. Being a thirty year master machinist the first thing I do is get out a 10x magnifying glass and look at the motor. Very well machined. I was impressed with the power and smoothness of the motor! On my second flight an aileron controll horn pulled out about thirty feet up. Pancaked in flat in the tall weeds. Prop ok, adaptor ok, motor shaft BENT. Web sight says none available, must be a LOT of bent shafts! What gives?
Parts usually follow new Hyperion product releases by 4-12 weeks. That is to insure that we can decide if we need to change/improve specs in some way before production.

Zs shafts are shipping to dealers next week.

D
Old Aug 04, 2009, 01:20 PM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Zs series are based on the cores of new Scorpion "S2" motors (14 magnet torque motors). In some cases, the Scorpion S2 version of Hyperion Zs has not yet been released (but likely will be soon).

Scorpion HK(2) series motors are SPEED outrunners with something fewer than 14 magnets (depending on type) for Heli and very fast airplanes on small-diameter props. The Hyperion Hs series - which will be released next week - is their equivalent.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryguy
NipponDave...
I am wondering if you could shed some light on the ZS3025 series, specifically comparing them to the Scorpion HK 3026 Series. Considering they are made by them.
I am interested in the ZS3025 -6 Turn and I am trying to find its Scorpion brother for comparison, unless these are spec'd different the closest match is the 6 turn 1400KV but things just donít match up. Can you elaborate on what exactly the differences are?
I have been supporting Hyperion products for some time now and would like to stick with it for my new motor, already tried several of the new G3 VX packs and they ROCK!
Thank You!