HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:44 PM
Joined May 2004
353 Posts
Discussion
HobbyZone Super Cub RTF - What's The Best Battery?

I really don't want to use the stock battery as these probably won't last that long, let alone be enough to get it in the air. Can anyone recommend a better battery that I can upgrade to? I was hoping for a Lipo upgrade but would I have to upgrade the ESC, etc.?

Does HobbyKing.com have any batteries that will work good with this plane and fit?
Nickerz is offline Find More Posts by Nickerz
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:19 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerz
I really don't want to use the stock battery as these probably won't last that long, let alone be enough to get it in the air. Can anyone recommend a better battery that I can upgrade to? I was hoping for a Lipo upgrade but would I have to upgrade the ESC, etc.?

Does HobbyKing.com have any batteries that will work good with this plane and fit?
No, you would not need to upgrade the esc. You will have to pull the jumper located on the rcvr/esc board to set a LVC for a lipo.

I would recommend these batteries. It is what I use in mine.
http://www.toysonics.com/loongmax-11...tery-pack.html
brati4 is offline Find More Posts by brati4
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:49 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,644 Posts
Stock battery barely enough? An understatement. The stock setup is good for trainer flying. Plenty of power to get into the air.

Most go to a 3 cell 2100 pack and go to a 10x4 prop.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:51 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
Stock battery barely enough? An understatement. The stock setup is good for trainer flying. Plenty of power to get into the air.

I take it you modded the battery box to fit a 2100.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:30 AM
Joined May 2004
353 Posts
Quote:

How long does the stock battery keep the Cub in the air approximately? I'm really looking at extending the flight time but more power never hurts either.

I did manage to find this battery for $11...

HobbyKing

or...

20C
Nickerz is offline Find More Posts by Nickerz
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:33 AM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerz
How long does the stock battery keep the Cub in the air approximately? I'm really looking at extending the flight time but more power never hurts either.

I did manage to find this battery for $11...

HobbyKing

or...

20C
IMHO those batteries are to long. The batts I recommended to you are pretty close to a tight fit. You should get at least 12-16 minutes with the lipos.
Last edited by brati4; Mar 25, 2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 01:07 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,644 Posts
Nope, never have owned a SC, but it shouldn't bee too difficult to get a 2100 to fit in there.

Flgiht times are around 8 minutes on average from what I'm hearing on the stock battery.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:03 AM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Nope, never have owned a SC, but it shouldn't bee too difficult to get a 2100 to fit in there.

Flgiht times are around 8 minutes on average from what I'm hearing on the stock battery.
You would need to hack up the battery tray to put one in it is too long. The bay is a perfect fit for 1300 TPS 11.1 though.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:53 AM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,009 Posts
I get 15 minutes of flight time on mine. That's running at half throttle most of the time. Peak charge them before you fly. Stock batteries are plenty good enough.
Dwhart24 is offline Find More Posts by Dwhart24
Last edited by Dwhart24; Mar 25, 2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Most Super Cub owners who upgrade to 3s Li-Po's use a battery that can fit in the original compartment. I myself, use the ThunderPower 3s 1320 mAh, but other brands work equally as well.

Also, most owners who upgrade to 3s Li-Po do NOT use a 10x4 prop.

We use a "GWS 10x6 DD Direct Drive" prop. This will give you a 40% boost in power, and allow your stock motor to stay nice and cool.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 28, 2009, 09:25 PM
USA, MI, New Baltimore
Joined Jan 2009
43 Posts
3cell Lipo 2200 mah

I just got my Super Cub, Stock battery very easy beginner flyer. I will be adding floats, so I am looking for alot more.
Must relocate reciver proir to cutting. Carved out battery tray with dremel sprial bit. Installed battery vertical as to not change CG. Must remove sm. looped wire on reciver. Look for it you will find it. This wire removed allowes you to use with lipos. Then I carved out more of the battery tray to get reviver as low as possible for eaiser battery connections. I could have lenghtened the wires, but this was easier. Mounted reciver with adheasive velcro.
My batteries already have velcro on them for flying helis, and I added velcro to attach batteris. Could also add a foam block on underside of wing for the battery to botton out in.
I also attached velcro to the wing braces, as it is much easier to remove wing for transport, as well as if you crash, they will release easier.
NOTE: MUST change prop. Orignal is 10-8, motor will run to hot and burn up. I used GSW 10-6 and motor was not hot after flight
What a differance. Went to field just before dark, high winds 15MPH+. I had good forward flight into wind, could pull up and do loops w/no problem. Landed because of loosing light with 18 min. of flight. When I put battery on charger, it still had 58% charge.
If I would have known this I would have bought one a long time ago.
Good Luck
KingJoe is offline Find More Posts by KingJoe
Old Apr 01, 2009, 11:17 AM
Flyer76
Joined Apr 2009
1 Posts
Which loop to cut to use lipos?

In the receiver that I have there are 2 loops (one on the corner and one at the center of the box nes to a plugin. Which wire do I need to cut to make the stock electronics work with lipo?
flyer76 is offline Find More Posts by flyer76
Old Apr 01, 2009, 04:41 PM
Thermals?!
Plantation, FL
Joined Apr 2008
385 Posts
When I learned, I used an 8 cell Elite 1500 pack built from cheapbatterypacks.com . It fits with no mods and it gives you more power/flight time.
AndyTheLegend is offline Find More Posts by AndyTheLegend
Old Oct 08, 2010, 02:31 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4 Posts
Battery

regardless of the above messages.... in my experience the stock 7 cell battery has been excellent.

Yesterday i got 16 minutes of flying in no wind, including some glide time. There's no need to stay full throttle the whole time, but even if you do, you still get plenty of fly time, and if not enough, just get another battery. I have 4 of the stock batteries, and 4 of the 8 cell batteries. The 8 cell climbs a bit better, but the stock climbs up to 500ft - 1000ft in no time as well, even with a gopro video camera mounted
pholosis is offline Find More Posts by pholosis