HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:47 AM
Retarded User
Joined Feb 2009
36 Posts
Discussion
Dumas Vinyard Sedan

I am looking to buy one or two complete Dumas 40' Vinyard Sedans (unbuilt, started, or finished) or pretty much whatever I can find.

For those that don't want to give up "their" Vinyard here are some pics of a real 40' Vinyard, the Kismet, that might help with your build. I am good friends with the current owner of the Vinyard Shipbuilding Co. property and he is probably the biggest Vinyard fan, rightfully so. He has 3 Vinyards. 1927 "50ft" Augusta, 1936 "40ft" Kismet, and the 1951 "55ft" Vignette (Last Vinyard ever built).

I will be getting more pics this weekend, so if you have any request let me know.

Brad
ruquik@msn.com
ruquik is offline Find More Posts by ruquik
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:00 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,062 Posts
The Dumas kit is surely "old school", if one can be found. Would be even neater to get original drawings and do up a model correctly!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:05 AM
Retarded User
Joined Feb 2009
36 Posts
Last edited by ruquik; Jun 24, 2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:53 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,062 Posts
Could always pull the hull lines with a tape measure and plumb bob...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Mar 24, 2009, 01:13 PM
Retarded User
Joined Feb 2009
36 Posts
I also would like to have the original box and paperwork. That is more important since i can still get the plans from Dumas. Originals are always better though...
Old Mar 24, 2009, 02:56 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,383 Posts
If you are taking more pictures, I would be interested in seeing the mast location and the forward hatch. The Dumas plan (and I only have a plan, not a kit, or even pictures of the sheetwood) shows the mast in two different locations -- both in front of and behind the foremast, which changes the direction in which the hatch opens. The attached model photo only has a short mast atop the cabin. I believe the model photo is from a post somewhere on this forum.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Mar 24, 2009, 06:27 PM
Joined Sep 2007
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor
If you are taking more pictures, I would be interested in seeing the mast location and the forward hatch. The Dumas plan (and I only have a plan, not a kit, or even pictures of the sheetwood) shows the mast in two different locations -- both in front of and behind the foremast, which changes the direction in which the hatch opens. The attached model photo only has a short mast atop the cabin. I believe the model photo is from a post somewhere on this forum.

Pete G.
Model by scupperbill. have post under 40s and 50s boats
scupperbill is offline Find More Posts by scupperbill
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:47 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,451 Posts
Dumas' kit of the "Vinyard 40' Sedan Cruiser", Kit V-800, yielded a balsa based model that was 25" long and 7" wide, close to the size of their other cabin cruiser models of that period. There was a fairly large plan sheet dated January 15, 1949, that - surprisingly for Dumas - had the hull lines in the upper right corner. The kit also contained two 8 1/2' x 14" sheets of assembly instructions, with - another surprise - a list of the supplied parts.
This size boat was a 1:19.2 scale model of the prototype boat. Think in terms of the width of your keyboard (18") plus another 7 inches, not a really large model by today's standards. The scale is the same as used in Sterling's Richardson 27' Cruiser kit, their C-C 50' Catalina kit and their C-C 63' Motor Yacht kit.
I'm biased, but I think that a 1:12 scale model of the Vinyard (40" long) would be a more interesting size in which to build one. To do so, just multiply each Dumas kit dimension by a factor of 1.6. This would be essentially the size of Sterling's Motor Yacht kit and would have enough room in the hull to have some interesting features aboard and would look very impressive on the water when completed.
P. J., I'll be in touch by PM soon; life just seems to get so daily!
Bill
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Last edited by jeepers1940; Mar 24, 2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 07:55 AM
Retarded User
Joined Feb 2009
36 Posts
Yeah, a larger scale would be pretty cool (not to mention easier to do math when pulling measurements, lol). Do they make a lot of accessories that size? I'm rather new to the r/c boat stuff.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:34 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,493 Posts
I'm kind of liking that 50' Augusta.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:25 AM
Retarded User
Joined Feb 2009
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat
I'm kind of liking that 50' Augusta.
She is quite rough around the edges, but will be amazing when she is done. Although I can't totally agree with making her into a single screw boat like the owner wants
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:49 PM
Joined Oct 2008
299 Posts
Hey, guys, I have one of those Dumas 40' Vinyard kits. The hull (25" long, all balsa) has been built - bad building job - and the rest of the parts (all of them, I hope,) are in the original box. Most important of all - the plans are intact. One face of the sheet has turned brown from age but they are still reproducable. I got it at a regatta swap meet some years ago and I don't remember what I paid for it. I'm open to offers, but the hull is so fragile that it might not withstand the rigors of shipping.
John Fryant is offline Find More Posts by John Fryant
Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:01 PM
Retarded User
Joined Feb 2009
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fryant
Hey, guys, I have one of those Dumas 40' Vinyard kits. The hull (25" long, all balsa) has been built - bad building job - and the rest of the parts (all of them, I hope,) are in the original box. Most important of all - the plans are intact. One face of the sheet has turned brown from age but they are still reproducable. I got it at a regatta swap meet some years ago and I don't remember what I paid for it. I'm open to offers, but the hull is so fragile that it might not withstand the rigors of shipping.

PM Sent
Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:05 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fryant
John -- I have a Vinyard plan, which shows the bulkheads and keel for the hull, but many of the cabin parts are not shown. Would it be possible for you to make copies of the remaining parts/printwood? I would be more than happy to pay for copying, postage, and something extra for your trouble.

I am making this a post vs. a PM because I believe there are other people with only the plan that would also be interested in patterns for the other parts. That way we could enlarge both the patterns and the plan to build a larger model.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:27 PM
Joined Oct 2008
299 Posts
Pete,

Yes, I'll be making a copy of the plan. Then I can have that copied, enlarged or reduced whenever the need arises. I also have the plans & instructions only for the Sterling Harco 40' deluxe cabin cruiser (27" long, 8 1/2" beam) and the Sterling Chris-craft 50' Catalina flying bridge cruiser(31 3/4" long, 8 3/8 beam). I can also have those copied for anyone who might be interested. HOWEVER, those two do NOT have the frame drawings or hull lines. I also have the instructions for the old Veco 35 R/C tug kit, which was all plastic. I used to list those in my plans catalog, but there were never many takers, so I quit listing them. I don't know yet the cost of copying any of these plans.
John Fryant is offline Find More Posts by John Fryant