Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 23, 2009, 06:47 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Yippee!
54" T'craft from Comet plans...Video!

I started Friday evening on this. The fuselage balsa weighs 1oz so far. Power is a Suppo 2204-14. As you can see I think nose weight will be needed. Landing gear will be hinged pivoting off the plywood. Fuselage and feathers will be covered with RA Microlite and if I can get more, the wings will be too.
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Last edited by 56S; Feb 02, 2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Adding Video
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:55 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,233 Posts
I had one of these about 50 years ago. Ohhhh, I'm showing my age! Signed on to relive my youth. Annnnd, I recently obtained this plan, so maybe someday I'll do another one too.

It's really nice to be able to go to the comet models group and find so many Comet plans in PDF, including this one.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Mar 24, 2009, 07:14 AM
Ay up it's warped
Derbyshire UK
Joined Feb 2003
1,304 Posts
Thats a neat method of motor mounting!
mtbrider is offline Find More Posts by mtbrider
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:37 AM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
Please keep us posted with detailed shots of your gear.
With all the radio stuff in the cowl it almost looks like you are building a DR 1.
Is there a supply problem with RA Microlite?
Can you give us some details on how to use polyurethane glues?

All the best,
Konrad
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad
Old Mar 24, 2009, 09:19 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,851 Posts
Suggest building a one piece wing with two tiny servos for ailerons and opening cabin doors for battery pack changing. On mine, the TP1320 lipo worked fine with Esskay 400XT and 9x5 GWS direct drive prop. If you use DX-6 AR6000 receiver, 3S lipo and four micro servos, use a Park BEC or equivalent. I changed the tail feather structure to scale Aeronca Chief and added stringers to fuselage for a more scale shape. Plane was a fixture at the field for some six years, hundreds of air hours. Talk about relaxed flying.....!
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Mar 24, 2009, 01:27 PM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,171 Posts
Looking good, is it exactly double size?

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Mar 24, 2009, 03:40 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
I either had to mount the motor in the traditional method and make the cowl removable of come up with this Rube Goldberg. I had planned to use a Blue Wonder but the 2204 had enough guts and is lighter. For much of this build I'm using the clear Gorilla Glue to fill in the gaps in my non-laser cutting. I'll spend and hour or two trimming a grams worth of excess glue away from areas that a fillet is not required. I like this GG since it can be sanded somewhat and trims away easily. Tighter fitting areas get Titebond. Some guesstamates tell me I can save about 1/2oz if I use Risteen Microlite on the entire plane. Another reason I like the RA Microlite is because you don't get the sags with temperature changes like you do with Solite. Dave Lewis shows B/O on the white RA. I'll make sure of that.
The size of this build will be 100% of the plans or 54" wingspan.
Dan
Old Mar 24, 2009, 04:11 PM
Got Epoxy
Salisbury Ma
Joined Dec 2004
733 Posts
very nice ,and i'll be following this one, I was just going over this plan on Sunday figuring what may need changing and the amount of material needed, I like your motor mount to

Glenn
shrub wacker is offline Find More Posts by shrub wacker
Old Mar 24, 2009, 04:11 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2856S
I started Friday evening on this. The fuselage balsa weighs 1oz so far. Power is a Suppo 2204-14. As you can see I think nose weight will be needed. Landing gear will be hinged pivoting off the plywood. Fuselage and feathers will be covered with RA Microlite and if I can get more, the wings will be too.
Dan ,
Why not go with a bigger battery or motor to acheive balance ? You would still be in the same weight range , and the clay dough wouldn't be riding for free
-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Mar 24, 2009, 05:20 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,612 Posts
Dan -- when you say the landing gear will be hinged -- I understand that concept, but want to know if you are planning to use a rubber band or bungee to hold it in the normal position unless folded back by an impact?

Also -- since I don't see any brown edges on the parts, I am assuming you are "laser-free" and cutting out the parts yourself. Great job.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Mar 24, 2009, 05:35 PM
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,352 Posts
Very clean work! Those Suppo motors are fantastic, especially for $15...I have one on a 6-oz. Tiny-X on 2s 730s and it really performs well.

Yours should be the ultra-floater with all that wing and such light gear. What batteries will you use?

--Doug

P.S. There's a small blue plane stuck to the top of your fuselage...it should come off with a little sanding.
dk944s2 is offline Find More Posts by dk944s2
Old Mar 24, 2009, 07:37 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Landing gear for my arrivals

I made the legs last night and soldered the brass tonight. The 1/16" music wire shown in one pic will bend up into the fuse at the spreader and have a compression spring inside. If at least that's what I'm trying to wrap my head around.
The legs are two sheets of 1/16 with two Mustad #24 central draught fish hook in between. The rear hook had to be heated and bent to follow the shape of the triangle leg. The hubs are made from .016" brass sheet and 3/32 tube. These are just to keep the wheel aligned with the crash site.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 07:50 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofrost
Dan ,
Why not go with a bigger battery or motor to acheive balance ? You would still be in the same weight range , and the clay dough wouldn't be riding for free
-John
I'm hoping to have the lipo right at or ahead of the CG. They always seem to work best if right at the CG. That way I can use a heavier weight for gentle breezes and a smaller one for indoors. The 2204 flys my 41" Citabria almost straight up and cruises at less that 1/2 stick so it'll haul this big thing around just fine....I hope!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:52 PM
Slaton, TX
Joined Oct 2008
735 Posts
Dan, T'Craft looks good, looking forward to the end result. I have done a similar LG on my 45" PA-12 here is the link.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=pa+12

I have not flight tested it yet, but I have put a bout 30 minutes of taxi time on it. I started out with springs from simple writing pens, but found them to be a little week. Went to two pen springs,"one inside of the other", and found it to work pretty well. When it was all said and done I went to the LHS and bought a set of car springs. These worked much better.

Trey
supercubman is offline Find More Posts by supercubman
Old Mar 25, 2009, 06:13 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Thanks for the link, PA-18. Yep. that's about what I had pictured for the gear springs. I found an assortment of compression springs ranging from ball point pen to rear brake shoe retainer springs for $5.99 at the local hardware. A size about like what you picked "feels" right for my T'craft. Not sure if I'll get anything done tonight but clean up the mess. That usually gets another mess started right quick. Can't be having a clean building table now can we?
BTW, the little blue wart on the fuse that could be sanded off is a 20gr Herr C-180 using a Vapor brick and Citabria/Cessna powerplant. She flies almost as slow as the PZ Cessna.