HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2003, 07:49 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
NEWBIES...Easy Build and Fly...Free Plans...

Just a heads UP to all you new guys looking for easy building and great flying foamies that cost under 2 dollars to build... Many great beginner planes that won't break the bank while you are learning to fly!!! And they're pretty sturdy too , outlasting many times those expensive store -bought "one crash Foamies"....have some fun ....check out www.Foamfly.com Gallery / glens planes and plans ....and while you're there, check out the great planes designed by Hippo and all the cool information about Foam model building....plus he's got lots of goodies to make youe modeling alot easier and more FUN...Check it out!!!!!!!! ....before you invest in a "one crash Foamie"....CU

Ps. Newbies ...Please stay away from the 3D Albatross...believe me , it's NOT for beginners...Sorry!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2003, 07:58 PM
Joined Jul 2002
42 Posts
Site has some potential but I did'nt see any FREE PLANS, only $12 plans.
Tin Pusher is offline Find More Posts by Tin Pusher
Old Mar 24, 2003, 08:16 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Guess you were looking to hard, there are a lot.
Thatovalguy is offline Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
Old Mar 24, 2003, 08:17 PM
North Texas Near Dallas
Joined Jan 2003
105 Posts
Check the Gallery area

i don't remember the exact page, but if you go into the GALLERY I think it is called, there are PLENTY of FREEBIES You can also look at the 3D Albatross link or do a search for it here and it gives EXACT directions to the plans pages Hope this helps.
freefl2 is offline Find More Posts by freefl2
Old Mar 24, 2003, 08:19 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
tinpus...

look further into the magic vault for the treasure ....... Gallery/ share your photos/page 5/ glens Blucor planes and plans....
Last edited by gpw; Mar 24, 2003 at 08:25 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 08:34 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Seek and ye shall find.....

It's a little hard to,get around in these sites especially if you're new.... but the FoamFly gallery /share your photos has the contributions of many very creative modelers , and many of those generously include free plans.... spend some time there ....check out the cutting edge (excuse the pun) of Foam building and flying....
Old Mar 24, 2003, 09:42 PM
Joined Oct 2002
102 Posts
I feel kind of intimidated

gpw,

I was going to try to build one of your planes, but now that you're a "Silver Member" (sound of trumpets going off) I just don't know if I'm up to it. I just feel kind of intimidated.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Bill
wmsvirsky is offline Find More Posts by wmsvirsky
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:28 AM
Fanfold abuser
Rochester Monroe Cty, New York, United States
Joined Aug 2002
1,577 Posts
Beginner best choice

GPW,

While I think the Blue Frog is about as good as it get for a beginner, which of yours would you recommend most?

Is the setup for elevons a bit tricky for newbies, do you think? I guess some transmitters just have a switch for that.

How about a new flat plate design using one or two of the G9330 motors DD mounted in the middle of the wing? That would be simple, inexpensive, and not lead with the prop.

I love the variety of your designs.
Jgardner is offline Find More Posts by Jgardner
Old Mar 25, 2003, 12:18 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Gentlemen.....

WM.... I just thought that I'd support these guys since I've been using these facilities for months now..... worked out to $0.16 a day so I said , What the heck....now they strap me with this new identity....I'm more of a low profile mad scientest type aircraft designer , holed ' UP in a secret hanger making weird flying things out of foam.... Now I know how Batman feels.....hahahahah
Jg ... the Frog is indeed a fine trainer .....probably one of the best....that aside ...I think the Bullseye is also a good candidate for trainer.....here's why:
1. Very cheap and EASY to build...( not much there)
2. Flys very well on rudder and elevator, no fancy mixing radio needed
3. Works with an epu A motor...10x4.7 prop
4. Despite its appearance , flies very slowly and stable...hands off....get into trouble , let go of the stick
5. if you do dork it beyond repair (we never have , and have flown combat) you can build a new one in under an hour....

the only problem you might have is putting UP with your flying buddies who want to call it a donut , or toilet seat....critics!!!
For a second airplane with elevons ...the Stealth sport is the way to go!!!!
I've tried to present an array of planes , starting with the rediculously simple to more complicated designs so the newbie will progress into being a competent builder/flyer without having to spend tons of money (I have!!!)
Any questions ????...I'll try to be here to solve those little problems that come UP....Take care , Have FUN!!!!!!!
Last edited by gpw; Mar 25, 2003 at 12:37 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 09:34 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
repete'.... www.FoamFly.com

just repeating the call for newbies ....so they can find this stuff... free plans (bunches)...easy to build and fly ...good clean inexpensive FUN!!!!
Old Mar 27, 2003, 10:16 AM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,200 Posts
No offense, but that is the most confusing site I have ever been too. And I am not a newbie to the web (I freelance web design). How about making a link that simply states free plans?
Mike Parsons is online now Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Mar 27, 2003, 01:02 PM
Lift is Good!
Goshen, Indiana, United States
Joined Nov 2002
882 Posts
I too am looking for something easy to build and fly. I have made about four bluecor planes. But want to build something that my daughter can fly. What is this Bullseye?

My last attempt at an easy flyer was this variation on the bluestick. I think my airfoil is too thick. It noses up when the wind hits it and doesn't turn well in one direction. Its ok, but I would like to build a REAL trainer.

Cubby Boy is offline Find More Posts by Cubby Boy
Old Mar 27, 2003, 01:25 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Spend a few dollars on the Frog plans. Its a great easy and fun plane to fly. My 8 yr old daughter has had a crack at it and did fine and is bugging me to fly it again, what have I started?
Thatovalguy is offline Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
Old Mar 27, 2003, 03:51 PM
Idaho
Joined May 2002
1,067 Posts
One of the nice things about the foamies is that there are many good designs out there from beginner to wannabe expert. (me)
I've built several foamies and the Frog would be my pick as a trainer. Mine has a pink EPP foam nose and 45mm googly eyes and, of course, is green foam. (more froggy) The idea was to make the plane look less intimidating to the uninitiated. It's hard to be in awe of googly eyes and a pink nose. Plus, kids love it!
A friend built one for his wife and she promptly put on the googly eyes + long eyelashes + a beautiful red lipstick mouth. Well, beautiful for a frog..... Oh, and with all this, it actually flies! It is probably the easiest plane to fly that I've seen, and is the perfect beginners plane.

JT
DEPENDS is offline Find More Posts by DEPENDS
Old Mar 27, 2003, 04:09 PM
Lift is Good!
Goshen, Indiana, United States
Joined Nov 2002
882 Posts
Would the frog plans pretty easy to scale up? I would use motocalc to appropriatly enlarge the frog so that it would accept my speed 400 with a 2.5:1 gearbox.

Do you think that would work?

I am too cheap to buy a new motor or battery (got two 8 cell HEcell 1100s)
Cubby Boy is offline Find More Posts by Cubby Boy