SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which of the following chargers would you buy if you could afford it.
HYPERION DUO2 Charger 32 29.63%
FMA Cellpro 10s Charger 35 32.41%
iCharger 1010B+ Charger 25 23.15%
Bantam BC8DX Dual Port Charger 19 17.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:08 PM
Firefox
USA, KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,040 Posts
Poll
Which charger would you buy

Based on specifications, reliability, ease of updating firmware, your own experience, reviews, messages from other users or a wiji board, which of the following chargers would you buy if price wasn't a problem.

HYPERION DUO2 Charger
FMA Cellpro 10s Charger
iCharger 1010B+ Charger
Bantam BC8DX Dual Port Charger
Firefox675 is offline Find More Posts by Firefox675
Last edited by Firefox675; Mar 25, 2009 at 09:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:41 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
I also look at safety, support, and quality of the manual/directions.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Mar 23, 2009, 01:02 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkkennard
Which of the following chargers would you buy if you could afford it.
Wrong question.

I have two Duos. Does that mean I can vote twice or not at all?

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Mar 23, 2009, 02:37 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Pete,
The only problem with the Duo's is that the owners tend to be a bit smug about owning the most practical and affordable charger in the current market. You know, two chargers in one box, can run off 25 volts input (ie two lead acids in series), easy to update firmware and up to 180 watts per side. They tend to think why would anyone bother with anything else and pity, in a kindly way anyone who is lumbered with inferior charging equipment.

Just my two cents worth....

Regards
Peter
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Mar 23, 2009, 03:08 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Most important points for me are:
-safety & behaviour of charge, e.g. sure maximum voltage control for all kind of lithium cells in any kind of situation (including damaged pack, including broken wires...). Personally, A123 charged to 3.7V is not what I like. I want to be sure that charger will not harm the pack in any case, not even "speed up the pack ageing" or how you may call it.
-guaranteed accuracy and precision, and access to as many details describing the charged pack health as possible.
-ease of use (in mean of simple way of setting as many details as possible, I want to have opportunity to control all the parameters of charge, such as end voltage, end current..., but I do not want to be limited to certain values which may seem right to charger manufacturer - I know what I am doing so the charger should obey my will)
Voted cellpro, as I want it but I have older FMA BalancePro and not enough reasons to upgrade.
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Mar 23, 2009, 03:41 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Watch the power ratings

I got to looking at these charger's specs and noticed that all can do 10 amps except the Bantam, which is 9 amps. But what really caught my eye was the wide variety in power ratings. For instance, Bantam's advertised power rating is the output with a 12V supply but the FMA's advertised rating was input power with a 15V supply. At least the FMA charger has a plot so I know output power is 190W with a 12V supply, but the Hyperion and iCharger do not give ratings at 12V so I took a guess. At least in the case of the Hyperion if you have a 24V supply then you've got full power, but few of us have access to a 15V supply which is why I prefer 12V ratings. Kudos to Bantam for realistic power figures and to FMA for a plot which gives power for a range of supply voltages.

HYPERION DUO2 Charger
360W output @15V supply
280W? output @ 12V supply

FMA Cellpro 10s Charger
300W input @ 15V supply
190W output @ 12V supply

iCharger 1010B+ Charger
300W output @13.5V supply
260W? output @ 12V supply

Bantam BC8DX Dual Port Charger
320W output @ 12V supply
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Mar 23, 2009, 06:31 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
My CellPro 10s is my favorite charger. One thing that I really like is the higher (1 amp) balance current. I have several large packs that are getting old and it takes forever to balance on my other chargers but the CellPro quickly brings them into balance.

It’s also the safest and easiest charger that I have used. You don’t have to input the cell count as it does it all for you – it’s just so easy to use.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:17 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Details of how balancer works, are way too complex to just post few words describing the difference.
Long time ago, balancers were not ordinary. Healthy LiXX pack, once balanced, can be used many times and it remain balanced - if it was not hurt.
Now You can see the balancer bleeding such pack as much as it can, for the whole charge and even few minutes after.... Why? I am sure that there is a single reason - that balancer is stupid. It just bleeds a cell that seem to be higher voltage at the moment, no thinking forward or actual charge current understanding... It just wasted energy and my time.
That is why I love my FMA Balancepro, and why those FMA Direct chargers seem to balance so fast - in fact, they balance only if really necessary, thus there is mostly no delay at all. Thinking is more than power there, especially if balance connectors and wires are so thin. And it is the reason why i use DIY circuit with another chargers (such as 960SR), rather than professional 6s and 12s balancers. Well, in fact, I use modified balancer, so that it can not bleed that cells during charge, unbalancing my perfectly balanced packs. But its use remain necessary, because it acts as a safety fuse and IMO very important measuring device with data link to charger.
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Mar 23, 2009, 08:25 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M
They tend to think why would anyone bother with anything else and pity, in a kindly way anyone who is lumbered with inferior charging equipment.
Actually, it's none of my business what other people use to charge their Li packs. Maybe I'd feel different if I lived in an apartment complex with another model aviator living below or next to me, but I don't.

I'll also add that while I love my DUOs for Li pack charging, my pair of Hobbico AccuCycle Elites do a much better job of charging the AA and AAA NiMH packs I use in my transmitters, DLGs, and slope planes. Long ago I suggested that Hyperion copy the NiMH charging algorithm Hobbico uses in the AccuCycle Elite, but it apparently fell on deaf ears. The DUO isn't bad at it, but the AccuCycle Elite is much better.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Mar 23, 2009, 08:30 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,482 Posts
To expand on SteveM732's comments.... The cost of the chipsets that require higher input voltage to obtain a specific wattage are less expensive than chipsets that will run on a lower voltage. This is one of the many ways the manufacturer tries to keep the cost of the product down or to obtain a low targeted manufacturing price. As an example, all of the Bantam chargers produce the same output wattage on input voltage from 11V to 18V.
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:12 AM
Canada, NS, Truro
Joined Aug 2004
293 Posts
I am extremely satisfied with both products and back up service from FMA. Their 10S and 4S chargers are easy to use and have never given me any problems. Value for money they're number one in my book.
Cheers,
Charles.
mobird is offline Find More Posts by mobird
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:35 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
fprm post #6

Quote:
HYPERION DUO2 Charger
360W output @15V supply
280W? output @ 12V supply

FMA Cellpro 10s Charger
300W input @ 15V supply
190W output @ 12V supply
My real world measurements

Hyperion DUO on 24 V 180 watts per channel
12 volts 162 watts per channel

FMA Cell Pro 10 on 12.2 160 watts , 14.4 volts less than 180 at start then dropping to 160 as soon as it starts to heat up. Note I modified mine with a large higher volumn fan and much shorted power leads in an attempt to increase output and it still struggles to stay close to 165-170 watts.

Not a poll option but my Thunder power 1010C /210V combo still beats those listed.

210 watts output with as little as 10.5 V input and while max. of 450 mA balancing power it charges and bvalances my LiPolys and A123s fater than,
My balance Pro HD, Cell Pro 10, hyperion DUO, and Hyperion 720i except 720 is faster on a 2-4S as it will deliver the full 20A max. up to 250 watts and a solit 225 watts on 12 volts.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 23, 2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 01:20 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Not a poll option but my Thunder power 1010C /210V combo still beats those listed.

Charles
The old TP combo is good, I have one, but in today’s price standards it is way – way overpriced. The CellPro gives you the most for your money.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Mar 23, 2009, 01:50 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
The old TP combo is good, I have one, but in today’s price standards it is way – way overpriced. The CellPro gives you the most for your money.

But time is money , is it not? Most complain of not having enough time to fly. In my case with A123s TP1010 12-14 min. charges and the others closer to 18-20 minutes per charge so less flying or must have more batteries and chargers. More batteries and chargers equals more money than the difference in charger's cost difference.

I have read many times that TP combos are available for around $250 if you shop around. Used ones are even less. To each his own but as I have posted many times my TP1010C/210V is the last charger I would be willing to part with.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 23, 2009, 04:37 PM
California
Joined Apr 2006
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
FMA Cell Pro 10 on 12.2 160 watts , 14.4 volts less than 180 at start then dropping to 160 as soon as it starts to heat up. Note I modified mine with a large higher volumn fan and much shorted power leads in an attempt to increase output and it still struggles to stay close to 165-170 watts.
Charles, I know it's not the first time you state your CellPro10S would not go over 180w. For reasons unknown to me, my CellPro 10S can hit 252w easily (6s @ 4v per cell @ 10.5A). The only difference I can see between your setup and my is the input voltage, 14.4v vs 15.1v.

Or am I just lucky to get two of only CellPro 10S that were ever made that is capable of 200w plus??!
asm_ is offline Find More Posts by asm_
Closed Thread