HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:52 PM
Joined Feb 2009
29 Posts
Discussion
Not so fun day at the flying field today (UPDATE!!)

This is my Great Planes Piper Cherokee. All i can say is this is what happens with minimal flight time. This is my 3rd plane and 1st glow powered airplane. I use to have glow powered cars so i figured why not go with glow.
I desided to build this ARF with fixed flaps for my low flight time that was a huge mistake cuz this thing is like 10times faster then the park flyers Im use to. anyways here are some pics.

the damage:

Well the lesson is learned and the rebuilding begins. I was going to just buy new wings but i figured why not be a true hobbiest and fix the damage RIGHT.
here some pics of cleaning out the damage and getting ready for new balsa, 10x8 prop and covering.

As you can see luckily the damage isn't that extensive. I WILL BE BACK NEXT WEEKEND!
lawson4323 is offline Find More Posts by lawson4323
Last edited by lawson4323; Mar 27, 2009 at 10:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:58 PM
moreno valley california
Joined Jun 2008
295 Posts
sorry about the bangup...but here's what you do next time. after you take off bring the throttle back to about 1/2 and slowly work your way forward, if you feel you need to, which you may not. chances are it will fly just fine without having to be wide open, and once you get used to it, you can move on to your 4th and 5th airplanes...we all went through it....
koppterX is offline Find More Posts by koppterX
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:03 PM
Larry Jasmann
Severna Park MD
Joined Jul 2008
462 Posts
Looks like damage was fairly minimal and isolated to the landing gear on the wings. Was the crunch on landing?

Fly it slow as stated above, and make several landing approaches before the actual landing to get a good feel for how the plane responds on the approach...

If you belong to a club with instructors, get someone to buddy box with you for the first couple of flights until you get the hang of it..

L. Jasmann
ljasmann is offline Find More Posts by ljasmann
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:07 PM
Joined Feb 2009
29 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Yea i only practiced my approch one time before trying to land.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:07 PM
Larry Jasmann
Severna Park MD
Joined Jul 2008
462 Posts
Another comment... Flaps will change the flight characteristics of the plane, but you should be able to land the plane fine without them. For a low time pilot, flaps can be a big distraction, and can cause problems. Many planes will either pitch up or down when flaps are applied .. making it necessary to mix elevator as necessary to maintain level flight as the flaps are applied. When the plane is new and you do not know how it will respond, be very careful when applying flaps. Do it with the plane fairly high and going not too fast.

You did the right thing by leaving it with fixed flaps.. Learn how to fly it without them before you add them..

L. Jasmann
ljasmann is offline Find More Posts by ljasmann
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:22 PM
Joined Feb 2009
29 Posts
thanks L. Jasmann.

On a lighter note i did manage to get a perfect hammer head in lol. I flight this thing is great! stable yet very capable! flying, take offs are my thing just need to wrap it up with a text book landing.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:24 PM
Joined Feb 2009
29 Posts
Btw for all other newbies this goes to prove that just cuz you can fly the full scale DOES NOT mean you can fly RC!! I see alot of people make that mistake.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:29 PM
Sudden Crosswind on Final
Loveland, CO
Joined Jun 2008
188 Posts
Nothing that can't be fixed.
Just remember - Taking off is optional. Landing is manditory.

Mike
skippyspad is offline Find More Posts by skippyspad
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:32 PM
Joined Feb 2009
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyspad
Nothing that can't be fixed.
Just remember - Taking off is optional. Landing is manditory.

Mike

haha so very true!!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:34 PM
Joined Feb 2009
29 Posts
Next flight im going to put up video
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:01 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,822 Posts
Looks reparable, that's for sure. Sorry to hear about your crash. Many folks make the same mistake. Most planes don't have to be flown at full or even half throttle.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:02 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,822 Posts
PS Speaking of not so fun days, we had a dirt devil blow through our field today and break three airplanes!

How weird is that?

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:43 PM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,132 Posts
You also said something about a 10x8 prop...you'd be better off with a prop w/ larger diameter and less pitch.

If you're using a .46 (or thereabouts) size engine, try an APC 12x4 or an 11x5 instead...that will help with the rate of climb and will allow the airplane to slow down more and quicker when setting up your approach.
proptop is offline Find More Posts by proptop
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:58 PM
Joined Feb 2009
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
PS Speaking of not so fun days, we had a dirt devil blow through our field today and break three airplanes!

How weird is that?

Frank

haha thank god we dont have those here lol
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:59 PM
trying to miss the ground
United States, ID, Rigby
Joined Oct 2008
160 Posts
Hey, a bad landing beats a good crash any day!
blademaker22 is offline Find More Posts by blademaker22