SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
Need advice on design and build of a large scale model airplane;
Before I buy parts and build this model, I would like some of you, experienced individuals in design and build of such models, to verified my design calculations and recommend if this model will fly, or not, as designed. Most of all, I am not sure that 13 lb. weight of airplane (not including engine and fuel) is the correct weight for this size of a model.
Target Size:
Wing Span = 134” ; Chord = 22” ; Aspect Ratio = 6:1 ; Area = 2950 Sq. In.
All I have at this point is an Engine runs at 7200 RPM, 1.1 hp , torque of 0.811 ft. lb./sec.
I am presenting here the results of my design calculations (based on googled formulas and web sites calculators):
Cruising Speed = 55 mph
Propeller Size = 20 x 8
Total Airplane Weight = 20lb (engine + fuel = 7 lb.) that leaves 13 lb. for the construction materials, controls, battery etc.)
Wing Loading = 15.62 oz./sq. ft.
Thrust-To-Weight = 1.17
Cl = 0.128
Lift = 19.3 lb (used rho=1.18 kg/m cubed) – not sure why this number resulted in less than 20lb). The 20 lb number given above was used in calculating Wing Loading and Thrust-To-Weight). Should I use the 19.3 lb number instead or what should I use for my final total weight target?
I can provide the formulas/calculators I used for all the numbers, if needed. Just wanted to save text space.
Thanks from David
dsmeir123 is offline Find More Posts by dsmeir123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:02 AM
Ukraine
Joined May 2007
12 Posts
Who could better quality scan this drawing?
Bazz Bomb published Aeromodeller October 1964.

Thanks in advance!
urfin is offline Find More Posts by urfin
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:28 PM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urfin View Post
Who could better quality scan this drawing?
Bazz Bomb published Aeromodeller October 1964.

Thanks in advance!
Try this for size. I have cleaned up the scan ready for completing a CAD tracing but this .pdf should get you onto the building board

Al
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:56 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
I've bought 3 short kits from Bob Holman and he does TOP NOTCH work! The plans are clear and the parts are well done. I've heard negative opinions on other short kits providers, but never been disappointed with Bob.
Here are the three:
Carl Goldberg Sailplane
Gyrace Autogyro
Record Hound
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini