HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:03 AM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
639 Posts
Paper

Bakon:
I use straight water. The trick for me is to let it dry totally and then it peels off pretty easy.
Sir Dumb Thumb is online now Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:47 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,017 Posts
rubbing alcohol! works like a charm... wipe it on one side, by the time you do the other side, the first side is ready to peel. Paper comes off clean and in one piece.
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:55 PM
I crash planes
USA, OH, Findlay
Joined Apr 2010
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
rubbing alcohol! works like a charm... wipe it on one side, by the time you do the other side, the first side is ready to peel. Paper comes off clean and in one piece.
I usually don't even wait that long, wipe on peel off. I leave paper on until after I have the parts actually cut out as well.

A bottle of rubbing alcohol usually does atleast 8-10 sheets for me. I dump it onto a paper towel then rub the paper with it. $1/bottle at $tree plus I like how it smells,
bbjsw10 is offline Find More Posts by bbjsw10
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:28 PM
aka "wildhover" Semper Fly
southern cali
Joined Sep 2007
74 Posts
i had an interesting idea about a bunch of us emailing rediboard to see if they can start selling foam sheets without the paper. I'm sure that if they got enough people asking, then they would realise that the rc community could be a big paperless foam boards market for them.
kennyt is offline Find More Posts by kennyt
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:31 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjsw10 View Post
I usually don't even wait that long, wipe on peel off. I leave paper on until after I have the parts actually cut out as well.

A bottle of rubbing alcohol usually does atleast 8-10 sheets for me. I dump it onto a paper towel then rub the paper with it. $1/bottle at $tree plus I like how it smells,
Yes -- I cut out all my parts first too! i've also found that centerlines and reference marks drawn onto the paper with a ball point penn will bleed onto the foam with the alcohol too -- an added bonus!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:04 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
i had an interesting idea about a bunch of us emailing rediboard to see if they can start selling foam sheets without the paper. I'm sure that if they got enough people asking, then they would realise that the rc community could be a big paperless foam boards market for them.
I kind of like the paper on It protects the foam underneath besides if you use the awesome it peels right off.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:06 PM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
Yes -- I cut out all my parts first too! i've also found that centerlines and reference marks drawn onto the paper with a ball point penn will bleed onto the foam with the alcohol too -- an added bonus!
it is harder to cut that way besides that I use a hot wire router and the paper must be removed to do any hot wire cutting.
EDIT something elst to think about is there is a whole lot more paper peeling when you leave the paper on.
just sayin.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:15 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,274 Posts
heres my first Build with DSF White GG ,i also used .. For the Main belly of the Fuse i used 5min epoxy form the DS to Speed up the drying time.

Parkflying (8 min 58 sec)

Plans
http://www.parkjets.com/eurofigher-tomhe/

Heres a direct Link to Tomhe's Main Website with more of his Awesome design's

http://rc.tomhe.net/eurofighter

60'' OSG(One Sheet Glider) with all DSF and White GG. FLyes Very nice in light wind days designed by Springer.

DSF Kicks Arse... IMHO and with experiences the White GG, Its one of the best glues for this foam. foams/becomes lighter. Fills gaps,sands nicely. Super Flexable.

heres a cool little thing i do too speed up set time when using GG. dab it a inch apart, then between that dot a small amount of Foam-safe Med CA between your GG. Wet the other joint lightly. Put your pieces of foam together,the CA bonds as normal 10-15 secs ,its like a tact weld. so you dont have too hold it for any period of time. It seems to make the GG even Stronger.
Ohh taping/T pins would good too. lol
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:16 AM
aka "wildhover" Semper Fly
southern cali
Joined Sep 2007
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan View Post
I kind of like the paper on It protects the foam underneath besides if you use the awesome it peels right off.
I really didn't expect them to stop selling the original foam board. I also have a few builds that require leaving the paper on and my 5 y/o son uses it for his occasional school projects. this would be a new product targeting the busy guys like me that don't even have 15 minutes in life to peel paper (i work 7 days a week most of the time).
kennyt is offline Find More Posts by kennyt
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:39 AM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,348 Posts
I just came home from $Tree guess what I bought there?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:59 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,017 Posts
I need to get more too! Posted a few of my builds...forgot about a few of theese!!!

My two latest Dollar Store Foam builds:
Low Pass' L-39
Mirage 2000 -- my own design - plans will be available soon

I love this stuff! Have never even tried FFF.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:09 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Any Canucks out there know where to get this $tree foam North of 49? Specifically Vancouver B.C.?
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:17 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,500 Posts
Try googling Dollarama. They have a map finder. It's where I get my stuff from here in Kingston.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:22 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Zoomed out on the map, Nothing west of Ontaio
http://www.dollarama.com/store-locator/

Years ago I found one sheet of this type of foam board at a LD and built the wing on the Beaver in my avatar. Michaels and Staples have foam board but at nearly $20 for 3 sheets hinged together
And Canada doesn't have FFF either. Just not used in construction here so it's not stocked.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:32 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,500 Posts
Found a bunch of places in BC in the cities chart, Victoria, Prince George, Nanaimo. etc. but I'm afraid I don't know where Squamish is.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2