to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:53 AM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit38 View Post
You glue the plans onto card stock, cut those out, then trace those onto the foam. Oh, and you use new blades and sharpen or replace frequently. It is difficult to keep that blade perpendicular during cutting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
One technique to maintain a straight line is to "drag" the knife. Hold it about 45deg to the foam, and relatively loose in your hand with index finger right on top, then just pull it down the straight edge with minimal pressure using index fingertip, only trying to get a partial cut (basically cutting through the outer "skin"). Once you get the hang of it, the knife will self align vertical to the cut. Then without moving the straight edge, make another cut with more down pressure and do this til it is through. Usually takes three strokes for me on FFF or MPF.
Thanks for your help. i can now make better, more vertical cuts.....and my sandpaper can take a break.

-joker
joker24458 is online now Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:40 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
One technique to maintain a straight line is to "drag" the knife. Hold it about 45deg to the foam, and relatively loose in your hand with index finger right on top, then just pull it down the straight edge with minimal pressure using index fingertip, only trying to get a partial cut (basically cutting through the outer "skin"). Once you get the hang of it, the knife will self align vertical to the cut. Then without moving the straight edge, make another cut with more down pressure and do this til it is through. Usually takes three strokes for me on FFF or MPF.
This technique works best for me too and I usually build planes with 2 sheets laminated together. Don't try to make the cut in one pass, just drag your knife along the cut line several times. Results in much cleaner and accurate cuts.
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:52 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
Top job! Ya gotta be happy with that!
So, almost a One Sheeter huh?
I guess DGA6 also stands for "Darn! Gosh! Almost 6% over!"
"Darned Good Airplane #4"
no really... that's what it stands for.
http://howardaircraft.org/
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:08 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
Thanks for your help. i can now make better, more vertical cuts.....and my sandpaper can take a break.

-joker
I print the plans on regular ol paper, cut them out with scissors, then transfer them to foam by "coloring" the edges with a fat magic marker. It works well, makes an outline of your part and with fff you put the marker on the skinned side and when you peel it away goes the sharpie marks.

Also x100000 on the multiple passes of low-pressure knife work. The shallower the angle, the easier it gets. I routinely make clean cuts in foam with blades that are barely sharp enough to cut my finger with.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:45 PM
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Jul 2011
210 Posts
finishing plane (adding color)

I'm building a "lil ripper" and want to paint it for color, but want to cover with tape for strength. My question to all you pros is, should I paint the foam then apply tape or tape first, then paint?
sixfins is offline Find More Posts by sixfins
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:58 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,275 Posts
What about colored tape instead of paint?
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Jul 2011
210 Posts
I prefer paint, for the available colors and ease of color design.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:20 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfins View Post
I'm building a "lil ripper" and want to paint it for color, but want to cover with tape for strength. My question to all you pros is, should I paint the foam then apply tape or tape first, then paint?
Paint works fine on depron, but not paper covered foam board.

Water base paints, like foam safe acrylics, if applied to the paper will warp as it dries, the tape is generally a better choice for foam board.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Jul 2011
210 Posts
I have removed all the paper, which is why I want to use tape to help strengthen it. Sorry for the incomplete info in my question.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:27 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,028 Posts
Quote:
I paint with an airbrush using acrylics water based then tape to protect my colors. Paper of most times. If I leave the paper on then markers or colored pencils then tape. depends on if I'm building for durability or weight. Oh and by no way am I any kind of 'expert"

here are some examples...all are of course dollar tree or as I call it HobbyTree Foamboard
goodhumormarc is offline Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Last edited by goodhumormarc; Oct 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:34 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,633 Posts
My latest Dollarama foam plane got its maiden today! I've already talked about it in my blog, no need to repeat the info.

Needs some tweaks, but it's a nice flyer. With the flaperons down, I can slow it down to a walk before landing.
V-Man is online now Find More Posts by V-Man
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:56 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Paint it then cover it with tape. I like "Duck" brand packing tape for $1 a roll at Walmart. I've done all my painting by hand with acrylics and sharpies for fine lines.

Chris
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:56 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2012
376 Posts
Here is my DTFB Bug with some of the paper covering removed. These planes are a lot of fun and easy to make from scratch.
Bug023 (1 min 59 sec)

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
boa2110 is online now Find More Posts by boa2110
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Oct 2004
536 Posts
Here is a pic of my latest build, i call it the Sportster because i designed it for sport flying mostly.
Wingspan is 30inch
Did the maiden this morning and all went very well except for the landing in the snow.
Loosened the landin

Uploaded with ImageShack.usg gear and the motor mt. but no biggie its all repaired now.
olddog is offline Find More Posts by olddog