HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:47 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eran_k View Post
is this "dollar tree" foam the one with paper on both sides?
isn't awfly heavy for suce small planes?
It is heavier with the paper on, it weighs about 120-122 grams per 20" x 30" sheet as bought and 59-60 grams with the paper peeled so the paper doubles the weight. And it absorbs moisture too.

The older stuff needed moisture and solvents and various cleaning agents to get the paper off. The newer stuff has an easy to peel off paper that just leave the foam bare. Only takes a moment.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:20 AM
Joined Oct 2004
522 Posts
Working on this one now, its called Ultron.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
olddog is offline Find More Posts by olddog
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:47 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,489 Posts
Thats a nice looking plane. Are there plans for it? Thanks for sharing with us.

Tom
carr52 is online now Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:02 AM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
Thats a nice looking plane. Are there plans for it? Thanks for sharing with us.

Tom
Here's the original thread, plans are in there somewhere...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748176
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Jul 2011
3 Posts
After building my first Dollar Tree Foamboard aircraft, I must say I'm pleasantly surprised at how durable it is! I CADded up a F-22 and built it using the boards, hot glue, and packing tape, along with cheap Chinese parts. Think I only spent $4 or $5 on the aircraft body itself. It's only my second aircraft (started with used YAK 54 3D foamy, used most of its parts in this), so it's been seeing its fair share of crashes.

The worst, but hardly "only", crash. Had to shake it out of a 20' tree on the other side of the hill. Bent the foam wing slightly lengthwise(now reinforced), tore off one elevon, and bend the other elevon. Recut the elevons (oh no, $0.25 worth of foam!) and remade the hinges one afternoon, followed by four successful flights.

First Successful. Cut it a bit short just to make sure I could say I got one good flight in!

Second successful flight, brought it in since it was getting too dark.

At some point over the fall/winter I'll probably build a new slightly scaled down one with separate ailerons/elevators and a smaller, higher-pitched prop. Until then, I have a surprisingly stable platform with a very large "bay" at the CG that I'm sure I can do something with!
trekkie00 is offline Find More Posts by trekkie00
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:25 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkie00 View Post
After building my first Dollar Tree Foamboard aircraft, I must say I'm pleasantly surprised at how durable it is! I CADded up a F-22 and built it using the boards, hot glue, and packing tape, along with cheap Chinese parts. Think I only spent $4 or $5 on the aircraft body itself. It's only my second aircraft (started with used YAK 54 3D foamy, used most of its parts in this), so it's been seeing its fair share of crashes.

The worst, but hardly "only", crash. Had to shake it out of a 20' tree on the other side of the hill. Bent the foam wing slightly lengthwise(now reinforced), tore off one elevon, and bend the other elevon. Recut the elevons (oh no, $0.25 worth of foam!) and remade the hinges one afternoon, followed by four successful flights.

At some point over the fall/winter I'll probably build a new slightly scaled down one with separate ailerons/elevators and a smaller, higher-pitched prop. Until then, I have a surprisingly stable platform with a very large "bay" at the CG that I'm sure I can do something with!

Nice! I love the F-22 platform. Do you have a build link for yours? Or a pdf of plans? I found all the weak links with mine and havent rebuilt due to other looming projects.

MArc
goodhumormarc is offline Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Jul 2011
3 Posts
Thanks! Unfortunately no build pics or plans right now - I still have the CAD model, but there are a couple of adjustments I need to make to it after building the actual model. After I build the next one and get the rest of the bugs worked out I'll probably upload them.
trekkie00 is offline Find More Posts by trekkie00
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:27 AM
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
Foam glue

I've been using this glue from home depot. Dries clear and cures in 45 min.
Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:38 AM
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
My powered alula

And here is the latest iteration of my simitar-alula. Added the washout wingtips for more stability in the gusty slope winds I have around here. With a bit of reflex dialed in to counter the washout I get a much better glide ratio. Of course now it won't do corkscrew barrel rolls, but that's also a good thing!
Control surfaces are balsa. I have crashed this thing so many times but it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin!
Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:15 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
918 Posts
Here's a few pics of my first dollar tree plane. It loosely based on Leadfeather Yak plans scaled to 27" span. I left the paper on this one and will probably "de-paper" on the next one. Motor is a HK C20 w/ 7x4 prop. I am pleasently surprised this thing flies like its on rails, very fun and snappy. Lots of great ideas in this thread, thanks Greg

greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:59 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
So many ideas, not sure which one to build first.
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:34 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,588 Posts
The attached picture shows part of my small collection of Dollarama (our local equivalent to Dollartree) foam aircraft. Missing are a couple of Funder&Lightning, and a Simple Delta. As you can see I keep paint to a minimum -- lots of white.

Left to right:

Orbiter Recon: a 50" camera ship based on the Simple Twin-Boom Pusher by FoamFlyer. Extended wingspan, V-Tail modification, and two purpose-built bays for keychain cameras.

Earthstriker: scratchbuilt 30" aerobatic trainer (sorry, no plans - I designed as I went). Rock solid and flies like a demon on 3S/1000 mAh.

Funbat: combat plane scaled up slightly to 28" from the original Funbat design. Large yellow/black checkerboard painted underneath for orientation.

Cost per airframe (minus electronics): $2.50 in foam and glue. Can't beat that!
V-Man is offline Find More Posts by V-Man
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:15 AM
United States
Joined May 2012
213 Posts
I really like the Orbiter Recon design. Never have done a v-tail or a twin boom but the more I think about it, the more like the concept.

Your wrote: "sorry, no plans - I designed as I went" - I've done that with several planes. I usually make just enough of a drawing to get patterns and then cut parts as I need them and glue them on.

As for your Orbiter, nice looking and flying plane.

FF
FliegenFrosch is offline Find More Posts by FliegenFrosch
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:31 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FliegenFrosch View Post
I really like the Orbiter Recon design. Never have done a v-tail or a twin boom but the more I think about it, the more like the concept.
FoamFlyer's original straight rudder/elevator design had the triangular booms, which I thought were better suited to a V-Tail -- more gluing surface for the fins.

Quote:
Your wrote: "sorry, no plans - I designed as I went" - I've done that with several planes. I usually make just enough of a drawing to get patterns and then cut parts as I need them and glue them on.
Might have to generate something, the plane's been a major hit with my local flying group, and it sure as heck ain't because of my piloting skills.

It just flies nicely, and the box construction makes it super simple to put together.

Quote:
As for your Orbiter, nice looking and flying plane.
There are two keychain cameras on it, one front and one left side, opposite the battery bay. I've uploaded a couple of the videos on my YouTube channel, if anyone's interested.

Now I need to get back to finishing some kit planes. The dollartree foamies are addictive, they are so quick and fun... It's the joke in my group that I bring a new plane every week, and it's not even because I'm crashing them.
V-Man is offline Find More Posts by V-Man
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:46 PM
Life begins at 40
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
666 Posts
27" me163 built from SEMFF plans, 6-7 oz hasn't flown
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes