HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:00 AM
remotely sensitive
United States, WI, Verona
Joined Oct 2011
204 Posts
I built one with mixed results. It does have just a flat airfoil. I liked alot of EA's build techiniques. After a few tuning flights, I thought the power set-up was very heavy and therefore not forgiving with hard landings. I have made similar delta style planes with KFM airfoils with much lighter set-ups (blue wonder with 600mah 3s lipos) that fly just as fast but are much better at high alpha. I would recommend a KFM airfoil as they really add alot of strength and stablilty at low speed.
woodenshoe is offline Find More Posts by woodenshoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:24 PM
Build, crash, repeat...
USA, VA, Cedar bluff
Joined Dec 2002
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
I have seen a rocket plane like this a long time ago, but I never did learn how it flies. A while after watching a video and reading the comments, someone suggested the builder had stuffed helium balloons inside. Needless to say I am still wondering how the rocket plane designs fly. Interesting design.
Look up "lifting bodies". NASA experimented with them as a possible design for the space shuttle. The opening sequence of "The Six Million Dollar Man" TV shows one of them crashing in the desert.
lee292a is offline Find More Posts by lee292a
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:30 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
New Glue?

Getting ready to start a 28 in biplane (Eruji's Outrageish) from DTF. Ran into a new glue at WM today while looking for Beacon's. They only had Fabri-Tac, no 3 in1. Saw a bottle that simply read Foam Glue. Appears to be a WM product, maybe a sort of generic Beacon's, maybe? I picked up a 4 oz bottle for $2.77, figure it's worth a shot. Has anybody tried this stuff? I'll report back when I see how it works.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,516 Posts
No sure haven't but I got some UHU por and I think this is going to be a good choice for $tree foam. I did a few tests and it doesn't melt it and bonds very well. I got this from "RC Foam.com" I did a couple of tests making hinges and worked well. Time will tell if I like it or not. But it doesn't melt the foam so its a winner.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:24 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Well, I can report that the WlMart "Foam Glue" appears to be rock-solid. I started cutting foam yesterday morning for my bipe, and took a couple of scraps to use to test. offset stacked a couple of pieces, and glued about 2 1n together, then ran a fillet down the joint. Clamped them and left them off to the side. I had to go out of town, but when I got back in last night, the fillet had dried clear, and when I took the clamp off, I couldn't pull the joint apart without tearing the foam.I can't claim a cure time (the bottle says 24 hr for full cure), so that might be a bit of a drawback. I'm gonna finish this build using the stuff. Like I said, for $2.77, this might be a new one worth using!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:22 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,516 Posts
Sounds good EZ. I got some of the glue. Not sure if its the same stuff.
"Holds the foam" thats what it says on the tube. Made by Beacons.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:29 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
I wonder if it's sand-able. If I use a glue like this for my next plane I'll need to use tape to hold the parts while it sets. Anyone know of a tape that won't peel the surface of $ Tree foam? the blue painter's tape I have does.
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:00 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZglider View Post
Well, I can report that the WlMart "Foam Glue" appears to be rock-solid. I started cutting foam yesterday morning for my bipe, and took a couple of scraps to use to test. offset stacked a couple of pieces, and glued about 2 1n together, then ran a fillet down the joint. Clamped them and left them off to the side. I had to go out of town, but when I got back in last night, the fillet had dried clear, and when I took the clamp off, I couldn't pull the joint apart without tearing the foam.I can't claim a cure time (the bottle says 24 hr for full cure), so that might be a bit of a drawback. I'm gonna finish this build using the stuff. Like I said, for $2.77, this might be a new one worth using!
What is the name of this glue...sounds like something I wanna try
AsSoulsDream is offline Find More Posts by AsSoulsDream
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:52 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1379 View Post
I wonder if it's sand-able. If I use a glue like this for my next plane I'll need to use tape to hold the parts while it sets. Anyone know of a tape that won't peel the surface of $ Tree foam? the blue painter's tape I have does.
Chris,

I try to get this info out, but I did discover that if you get some Isopropyl Alcohol (Rubbing alcohol) and a way to drip it out in small quantities (I use a hair color applicator bottle from the Beauty supply store) and drip some on the edge of the tape, lift slowly, work it up keeping the edge wet with alcohol, the tape all but falls off, and will not leave a single mark on your foam! Works great. Just don't trust this on painted surfaces without testing your paint first!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:55 PM
Got Foam?
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Chris,

I try to get this info out, but I did discover that if you get some Isopropyl Alcohol (Rubbing alcohol) and a way to drip it out in small quantities (I use a hair color applicator bottle from the Beauty supply store) and drip some on the edge of the tape, lift slowly, work it up keeping the edge wet with alcohol, the tape all but falls off, and will not leave a single mark on your foam! Works great. Just don't trust this on painted surfaces without testing your paint first!

Fred
That trick works great on removing hot glue also. A many a servo has been scavenged from my planes that way...
mjcmyers is online now Find More Posts by mjcmyers
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:25 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSoulsDream View Post
What is the name of this glue...sounds like something I wanna try
It's simply called "Foam Glue". I believe it's a WalMart house brand, 4 oz in a brownish bottle. I think it's a store brand of the Beacon's "Hold The Foam" mentioned above. Goes on white, dries clear. I'm thinking of buying a couple more bottles at this price. Actually wasn't on the shelf with the other craft glues, it was across the aisle from them. Don't know if that's standard or just the way my WM has it.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:57 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,775 Posts
Can you post a picture of the bottle or google a picture of it and post a link for us?
dude_109 is online now Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:18 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
I'll see how this come thru. The label on the back just says"Distributed by Wal Mart Stores Made in China" (No surprise there). Also lists Fibre-Craft Materials Corp. in Niles, Il.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,775 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the pic. I've been using 2 part epoxy but too lazy to mix and wife hates the smell so this may be better alternative.
dude_109 is online now Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:33 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
I Googled Fibre-Craft, their website primarily shows dolls and some foam products for decorating kid's rooms. (Maybe where this glue comes in.) On Nextag, found the glue listed, this time in a green bottle, but from the description, sounds like the same stuff. Not sure how it'd work with other foams, but the DTF pieces I glued yesterday surpised me. The bond was really strong. Oh, and no smell! If this works out well on this plane, I may have a new favorite glue for DTF.