HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:48 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Dec 2010
157 Posts
Amos Foamy Scratchbuild

Here is a 3D Amos Moses build with $tree foam. It is 27" wingspan and weighs in a little over 6oz.
ronhawker is offline Find More Posts by ronhawker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:52 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
ronhawker,

Got a video of that sweet Amos? I really enjoy this guys designs. Goes by "ewo" here on RCG. Also the "clay backed paper" foamboard (HobbyLobby) normally comes right off (if needed) w/o the shower treatment and even without the paper this foam is heavier and stronger than the Dollar store board.

That hortz stab is what I use on everything scrach built coming from my builds.

Doug
43851E is offline Find More Posts by 43851E
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:02 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Dec 2010
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43851E View Post
ronhawker,

Got a video of that sweet Amos? I really enjoy this guys designs. Goes by "ewo" here on RCG. Also the "clay backed paper" foamboard (HobbyLobby) normally comes right off (if needed) w/o the shower treatment and even without the paper this foam is heavier and stronger than the Dollar store board.

That hortz stab is what I use on everything scrach built coming from my builds.

Doug
No sweat on the paper off. For $tree I just spray with vinegar and water cleaner we keep around for windows etc and the paper comes right off. Cheap and effective. No video yet but I will work on it. Figuring out the prop size now with the engine I got for it. It is a 250 sport from Power Up from Headsup. APX 7x5 is a little much and I will also try a APC 6x4 and then maybe the GWS 7035 or 6030. Not 3D really but great flyer at 7oz and 8oz of thrust available with a 2S.
ronhawker is offline Find More Posts by ronhawker
Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:12 PM
Joined Jun 2011
29 Posts
$ Tree Foam - Slow/Park Flyer

So guys, I loved this entire thread. Now that I've arrived at the end however I'm wondering if I should invest myself into a sturdy, get in the car and drive to an open field type $Tree foam plane, or simply make something that I can fly in my yard. My yard is big enough to enjoy micro planes like the RTF Champ and Corsair. Most my scratchbuilt foam planes need a little bit more open space to really enjoy (though my impatience usually gets them fairly beat up before I make it to wide open spaces). Okay, so all that babbling being said, what do you guys suggest for a light $Tree foam plane (park/yard/slow flyer)? If possible link threads/plans/etc...
caseopeia is offline Find More Posts by caseopeia
Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:26 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,770 Posts
most of the plane plans in the scratchbuilt forum can be increased in size or decreased by simply printing them at a smaller or larger %age. I have taken several of the plans and reduced them for micro gear from the eflite UM planes. so the sky is the limit realy for micro or larger scale.
the geobat looks fun and should fly slow in a smaller area
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1386754

if you want something for a larger area and a little more skill the Typhoon Delta Pusher plane is fun and flies great
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=typhoon+delta

but it depends on what you like I like these planes because they are not of the norm and they look and fly great.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:34 PM
Joined Jun 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
I have taken several of the plans and reduced them for micro gear from the eflite UM planes. so the sky is the limit...
Thanks for the quick response and inspiration!! Now I'll just have to figure out micro power systems. Right now I use 28mm 1300-2200kv brushless for most my builds. The 2/3-cell batteries usually double the weight. Thanks for the great starting place I think this will be a fun new challenge. (And cheaper than buying a new parzone/hobbyzone bnf plane everytime I get an itch to fly something new).
Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:58 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Another great little bird that would work in foam board would be the mini piyak. Look at the indoor vids. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1361028
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
29 Posts
Decisions

Well I started building the geobat and soon realized the Dollar Tree Foam wouldn't work for the scale of plans I printed. Instead of scrapping them and resizing I'm going ahead with FFF build on this. Thanks for the Geobat recommendation, I'm exciting about it. But alas, I'm officially of topic in this thread on $ Tree foam. So i'll see you all on the flip side.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:13 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,770 Posts
you can always laminte 2 or 3 sheets of $tree foam and add bamboo skewers for added strength. so if the plan is to big for 1 sheet offset the second layer and when you glue it all together it will be as big as you need. just build it up kind of like a brick wall so the seems are backed by a flat surface. or the FFF works too. lol

as far as micro gear i like
AP05 motor from Hobby King
a small 5 or 6 amp esc
and either the 2 gram servos from HK ot the 3.7gram servos

the motor is pricey for HK at $16 but it is the best micro motor I have found
Last edited by TheOne420; Jul 31, 2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 04:27 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
I've built several planes w/ laminated DTF, so far up to 40 in. ws. Works great!
This is a sclaed-up 40 in version of 3Dmon's Lil Ripper (A REALLY fun plane.) Double thickness on the wing, vert and horiz. stabs, and some judicious doubling around the motor and wing. It flew really well. (Pilot not so much!) Actually have a new one on the build table right now, probably my favorite plane I've flown so far.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:01 AM
Stubacca
Garland, TX
Joined Aug 2009
472 Posts
first scratch build

Hello everyone, this is my first scratch build, just playing around with some spare electronics and wanted to try and build a cheap delta wing mixed EDF using DT foam. I 3M sprayed 4 sheets together and then cut out my design. I didn't go with plans just went with a similar idea as some of those wing EDF designs. I will be using bamboo skewers to reinforce the frame but before I start cutting the tailerons and batt bay I've got a question. How do I figure correct CG location on a scratch build that was my own design? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Stu pac shakor
stughagen78 is online now Find More Posts by stughagen78
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:50 AM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,770 Posts
Glide Test(chuck and pray) I will usually put the combined weight for the elctronics(esc, batt, servos, etc..) then i toss the plane untill I find the correct center of gravity(longest flight with steady decent and smooth landing) 20 ft or so just till you think it seems to glide well. there are also CG calculators online but it is hard to do on a bird like yours in my opinion.

you can also make a small version of your plane and use it to toss. just make it to the same specs and when you find the cg on the small one it should be a good starting point for the larger plane. prob start around 20% of the wing and see how that is.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 07:22 PM
Joined Jun 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
you can always laminte 2 or 3 sheets of $tree foam and add bamboo skewers for added strength. so if the plan is to big for 1 sheet offset the second layer and when you glue it all together it will be as big as you need. just build it up kind of like a brick wall so the seems are backed by a flat surface. or the FFF works too. lol

as far as micro gear i like
AP05 motor from Hobby King
a small 5 or 6 amp esc
and either the 2 gram servos from HK ot the 3.7gram servos

the motor is pricey for HK at $16 but it is the best micro motor I have found
I really appreciate the info. Your list has gone on my "next to buy" list.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 07:26 PM
Joined Jun 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
the geobat looks fun and should fly slow in a smaller area
I finished the geobat (not detailed or pretty but control surfaces etc...). I must say it was a blast to fly. I used my 2-cell battery at first and it was fun and maneuverable. Just for kicks I pulled out the 3-cell and was soon flying loops, upside down and a variety of goofy twists and turns. Crazy fun. A couple hours to smack together and bam... a great foam yard slow flyer. Thanks again for the recommendation. Well worth it. Can't wait to take her out again tomorrow. P.S. I crashed her a couple times right off the bat and no damage. This bat is quite durable.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:18 PM
Joined Jun 2011
29 Posts
So what next?!!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The geobat was exactly what I needed for my yard. Anyone else have an idea for a foamy that is very slow and I can play in my very large yard? The geobat was great so if you know comparable items that would be great.

I don't know going micro either but have all the tools for small park slow flyers.