HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:40 AM
Joined Jun 2007
155 Posts
Discussion
Applications of Delta & Star winding

Wish to know where Delta type winding and where Star type winding is used. I meant the aplication;I know star is more common and easier,but certainly delta is for specific one. Anyone pl tell me which one is good for what?
congcon97 is offline Find More Posts by congcon97
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2009, 01:52 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,571 Posts
Star (aka. WYE) is not more common. Delta is a more common configuration among factory motors. It really depends on personal preference more than anything. I typically try to get two layers of the thickest wire possible around each stator tooth and select a termination based on that and my desired kV.

In rare instances, WYE termination is necessary for a smooth motor run. Motors such as the 9N8P and 9N10P will vibrate excessively if terminated Delta. Also, in the case of the 12N14P (dLRK) Wye is occasionally more efficient due to circulating currents present in the Delta.
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Mar 20, 2009, 03:18 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,926 Posts
Apart from what IB/Alex wrote above, you can get the same motors with star and delta just by changing number of winds (and wire thickness): same efficiency, weight, torque, power and rpm. A star hookup is the same as a delta hookup with #winds increased by factor 1.8.

Pretig weekend Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Mar 20, 2009, 03:42 PM
Joined Jun 2007
155 Posts
Ok, Now can u tell me what type of winding is used in a helicopter motor? In a heli the motor has to drive a big main rotor as well as tail one, but in a plane only a little prop. WHich termination is better for which one??
congcon97 is offline Find More Posts by congcon97
Old Mar 20, 2009, 04:53 PM
jj1
Finland
Joined Oct 2004
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by congcon97
Ok, Now can u tell me what type of winding is used in a helicopter motor? In a heli the motor has to drive a big main rotor as well as tail one, but in a plane only a little prop. WHich termination is better for which one??
Its not about termination, u need the right kv for given application.

Example u need a kv 1500...
use thick wire and say 10 turns/stator tooth WYE OR
Thinner wire and 18 turns/delta
AND you have two different ways to make identical motors of same Kv.

-JJ
jj1 is offline Find More Posts by jj1
Old Mar 21, 2009, 08:56 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron van Sommeren
Apart from what IB/Alex wrote above, you can get the same motors with star and delta just by changing number of winds (and wire thickness): same efficiency, weight, torque, power and rpm. A star hookup is the same as a delta hookup with #winds increased by factor 1.8.

Pretig weekend Ron

I must have missed something somewhere. Didn't it used to be 1.73?
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Mar 21, 2009, 09:57 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,926 Posts
1.7-1.8 probably because signals are not sinusoidal, in that case it would be sqrt(3).

Prettig weekend Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren