Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 23, 2003, 11:13 PM
Formerly CA now Missouri
Joined Sep 2001
555 Posts
Hobby Lobby BD5 Build?

I did a search on the BD5 and didn't come out with much..... I picked one of these planes up today from my local hobby store.....I know that these are discontinued from HL.

Any mods or motor selction would be greatly appreciated.

a few questions.....

Rudder? yes or no....

hs81's or 55's?

jeti 15/4 w 8x6 on 8 cp1700's ..... or jeti 30/3 with 10x6? on 10x cp2400's? .... or another brushless all together? (except for Hacker) I want to keep the price down on this one!
saint152 is offline Find More Posts by saint152
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2003, 11:19 PM
los alamitos ca
Joined Jun 2001
665 Posts
You should PM funguy
He has a few of them
King Kong is offline Find More Posts by King Kong
Old Mar 24, 2003, 08:07 AM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Re: Hobby Lobby BD5 Build?

Quote:
Originally posted by saint152
I did a search on the BD5 and didn't come out with much..... I picked one of these planes up today from my local hobby store.....I know that these are discontinued from HL.

Any mods or motor selction would be greatly appreciated.

a few questions.....

Rudder? yes or no....

hs81's or 55's?

jeti 15/4 w 8x6 on 8 cp1700's ..... or jeti 30/3 with 10x6? on 10x cp2400's? .... or another brushless all together? (except for Hacker) I want to keep the price down on this one!
Rudder? Your choice. Mine had a working rudder and steerable nose wheel, it all worked fine. I have seen other versions of this model that flew well without functioning rudder.

HS 81's, you need the power.

Mine had a Jeti 15/4, APC 8x6, and 8 1900mAh cells (Same size as CP2400's). This is a very good setup, plenty of power and speed, good duration and light weight. Mine had the ESC located in the rear along with the motor and the battery leads were extended to the front of the model. You may need to go to the CP2400's as the 1700's may not be heavy enough. The batteries are located fairly far forward, better to carry the weight in fuel than dead weight. The Jeti 30/3 would be too heavy and the battery weight to counteract this in the nose would probably adversely effect the good flying characteristics of the model.

An 8x6 is as large a prop as will fit on the model and still not hit the ground or the rudder. Install the motor with some upthrust, this will help to counteract the nose pitchdown that happens when full power is applied. This model really floats, it will surprise you. My first attempts to land resulted in low passes that floated right past the landing area. At low speeds make sure to apply power smoothly as a quick application of power at low speed will result in an immediate loss of 3 to 5' of altitude.

This is a good flying model that I hope you enjoy.

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
Old Mar 24, 2003, 11:02 AM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,587 Posts
Hi Saint,

I agree with what Mike said. My BD-5 is powered with a Hacker B50-18S motor on 10 zapped 2600 nihn cells.

Go with the rudder as it makes ground handling easier and gives you the option of learning to side slip on final approach to bleed off some airspeed.

Also, you really need the HS-81's as this plane is fast. You might consider adding some thin ply between the landing gear and the wings to prevent the wing bolts from crushing the foam over time.

Lastly, on take off you must power up slowly and plan to rotate at about 2/3 throttle. The BD-5 has a very pronounced "nose down" tendency when full power is applied quickly. Watch your approaches too as this bird glides foreeeeevvvvvveeeerrr........

Good Luck!
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Mar 24, 2003, 11:03 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,297 Posts
Re: Re: Hobby Lobby BD5 Build?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiflyer
...Install the motor with some upthrust, this will help to counteract the nose pitchdown that happens when full power is applied. This model really floats, it will surprise you. My first attempts to land resulted in low passes that floated right past the landing area. At low speeds make sure to apply power smoothly as a quick application of power at low speed will result in an immediate loss of 3 to 5' of altitude.

This is a good flying model that I hope you enjoy.

Mike Hines
Mike has brought up some excellent points about this plane. I have a BD-5 from another manufacturer and I've test flown one of the HL versions for someone else at MWE this year. He had a Jeti BL installed (not sure which one) on 8 cells. The steerable nose wheel really helps out for taxiing and takeoff. There is a noticable difference in flight trim between no throttle and full throttle. It was the same story on both BD's flown personally. You get it trimmed level for full throttle flight and then lower the throttle and it balloons. This is really annoying when it's time to land the plane. You may find it needs a small touch of down elevator just before touchdown to maintain airspeed. Letting off the down elevator allows the plane to flare. At least that was my experiance. It's nothing unmanagable but somewhat surprising on the first flight. Other than that is was a pleasure to fly. She grooves well and turns a nice fast speed.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Mar 24, 2003, 02:42 PM
Formerly CA now Missouri
Joined Sep 2001
555 Posts
thanks for all the advise!.... I think I will be going with the Jeti 15/4 on 8x cp2400's and a cam 8x6 prop!
saint152 is offline Find More Posts by saint152
Old Mar 24, 2003, 10:54 PM
Longmont Colorado
Joined Sep 2001
569 Posts
Since HL discontinued this kit is there another source?
Patrick H is offline Find More Posts by Patrick H
Old May 13, 2003, 04:29 PM
United States, GA, Flowery Branch
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
Patrick H: I noticed that Hobby Club has a limited supply at $179.95. The URL is www.hobbyclub.com

Best regards! JS
Joel Shreenan is offline Find More Posts by Joel Shreenan
Old May 13, 2003, 05:43 PM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
BD-5 Hacker Powered

Dave Wenzlick
Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
Old May 14, 2003, 01:15 PM
FAA
Master Model Collector
Connecticut, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,143 Posts
OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$179 at Hobby Club

That is almost twice what I paid for when Hobby Lobby was dropping stock.

I think that that is way higher than what the regular price use to be.
FAA is offline Find More Posts by FAA
Old May 14, 2003, 03:32 PM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick H
Since HL discontinued this kit is there another source?
www.puffinmodels.com (under "Other Kits")

I agree with everything that Mike had to say about this model. The Phasor 30/3 is far too heavy, and we recommend using a battery pack of at least the weight of 8 subCs, along with a good degree of differential on the ailerons - get that right, and it is a smooth aerobat.

We have a limited number of BD5s, and our regular price before tax is about $150, but I can work out "shipping deals" for this kit.

John
John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
Old May 18, 2003, 09:29 PM
Los Angeles, California
Joined Apr 2002
923 Posts
$179 at Hobby Club

This is quite expensive IMO(edited for defamatory statement, GregG) if they are the same ARF kit. HL is known to be on the expensive side and are these guys trying to outdo HL? HL was selling the BD5 for $149 regular and when they cleared them out, it was only $109.
aau007 is offline Find More Posts by aau007
Last edited by GregG; May 18, 2003 at 09:59 PM.
Old May 19, 2003, 08:06 AM
FAA
Master Model Collector
Joined Apr 2002
1,143 Posts
BY the way.

The best flight configuration for this is a Mega 16/15/4 on ten cells. I have flown with both 2400cp and 3000 nimh.

Aircraft has a tendancy to pitch up at full throttle and to fall at the low end. This makes it diffcult to trim over the full throttle range.

On my JR 8103, what I did was program in two trim settings. One for landing and takeoff anf one for full throttle flight (3/4 to full). I assigned this to the gear swtich so I could easily go back and forth.

This is not a beginners model. The aircraft flies a lot like a zagi. (typical pusher prop). However it does not have its crash resistance (!!!)

The most critical part of the construction is setting the up thrust angle and getting the motor and motor mount installed.

Landing gear was reinforced. I did not install a rudder, since its effectiveness is very marginal on this type of airframe.

Its glide characteristics (throttle off) are on the poor side.

All and all a nice model if you can find one for about $100. I would not pay more than that. The prices I saw here on this thread based on the models overall flight characteristics and quality of construction do not justify that price.

For $99 you can get a global J-3 cub, a modeltech Extra 300, ME-109 and Magic which are all excellent values and make very nice scale models, easy conversions (do a search on this site), and all fly excellent on a Mega 22/30/3 or Phasor 30/3 and a 9x6 to 10x6 prop.

My 10 cents.

Nick
Last edited by FAA; May 19, 2003 at 08:09 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 08:47 AM
Pasadena, California, USA
Joined Mar 2002
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FAA
BY the way.

The best flight configuration for this is a Mega 16/15/4 on ten cells. I have flown with both 2400cp and 3000 nimh.

Nick
What prop do you use with the 1615/4 on the BD5? Do you use it DD or geared at 10 cells?
dw1122 is offline Find More Posts by dw1122
Old Aug 11, 2003, 06:57 AM
FAA
Master Model Collector
Joined Apr 2002
1,143 Posts
APC 8x6

I will be experimenting with some Li-polys that may make me change the prop.

Nick