Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 23, 2003, 02:08 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
Micro fan ala Haldor (aka look ma no wires)

I was insprired by Haldors wireless setup of a micro fan, I would never have thought it possible to drill down those stators but I tried is and got 3 for 3. Really not that hard, just started with a really small bit, and worked up. Anyway here is the finished good.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2003, 02:08 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
and another
Old Mar 23, 2003, 02:09 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
here it is in the Minx aft duct
Old Mar 23, 2003, 02:15 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
BTW the tail cone came from an old EJF 400 unit, I just cut it down until it fit the spacer I made. The spacer is some plastic that was turned to match the ID of the motor tube and the OD of the Razor 300 motor. Then using a band saw I cut the grooves for the wires, the grooves act as a chase to take the wires from the stator to the back of the motor. Soldered the motor wires, a little heat shrink, and then the tail cone. I left the space about 1/8" long so it would extend out beyond the motor tube. I was going to make a FG tailcone and then screw it to the spacer, but the tailcone I found worked perfect. It is held in place by 3 small strips of tape. Thanks again Haldor for proving it can be done.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 10:54 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Tidy isnt it ?
I havent had any chance to progress with my setup yet as my bro havent had the chance to turn up a proper adaptor, I need a 2,3mm for the B20.
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Mar 24, 2003, 12:10 AM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Dave -

Love the installation. I have 2 Micro Fans coming for my A-10. I'll be using sp300's instead of brushlesses (for now ) and will fly it that way until I fry them. I wonder what a MiniAC Extreame would do in it?

Rob
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Old Mar 28, 2003, 04:23 AM
Canada, BC, Nanaimo
Joined Jul 2002
336 Posts
Hey Dave I can't seem to find a link to a thread that shows how to do that. Coulda maybe paste the link for me if there is one? Thanks

Jason
Blazin_Jason is offline Find More Posts by Blazin_Jason
Old Mar 28, 2003, 06:25 AM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
Haldor did it originally, can't remember the thread name, but if you searh under post by Haldor you should find it. Not real hard, just get a real small drill bit, 1/32 to start, measure from the back of the fan go forward 15mm, look for the depression where the stator attaches on the shroud, and carefully start the hole with the bit, I started it by hand (twisting with fingers only) until about 1/16" in, then used a cordless hand drill and slowly advanced until thru. Eyeballing it the whole time to make sure I was going straight. At first I thought no way, but after seeing Haldor do it I gave is a try, not as hard to do as it looks. I did practice on an old microfan just to make sure I could do it. After the first pass I used progressively bigger bits until I got the hole diameter I wanted.