HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2003, 03:35 AM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,064 Posts
Schulze isl8 won't work with power supply

My power supply (Watson, 22A continuous, bought from WLM last year) won't run my isl8 anymore

I think the charger has a big capacitor to charge up and the initial surge overlaods the PS and it shuts down. I have been overcoming this by connecting the PS to a 12V battery and the Schulze to the PS before switching on the supply. Removing the leads from the PS to the battery would then leave the Schulze working OK. However, now this won't work either.

Has anyone had a similar problem and is there a cure? Can anyone suggest why my original hookup has stopped working when it seems to be fine in the past?

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2003, 12:03 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,311 Posts
Does the charger still work ok with a good 12v battery ? That would isolate the charger or the ps.

Could be your power supply was going bad a long time ago.

I have also found that some chargers will function just fine on a certain power supply, while a different charger will refuse to.

Al
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Mar 23, 2003, 02:43 PM
Menber
Joined Feb 2003
55 Posts
Mike,

Read this.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1
Theox is offline Find More Posts by Theox
Old Mar 23, 2003, 05:30 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Theox
Mike,

Read this.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1
Thanks for this. However, I've solved the problem in a different way. Hooking a 1 Ohm resistor in series with the charger when the PS is switched on limits the current. This resistor is then removed whist keeping continuity in the circuit. Seems to be working fine now.

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale