HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by DaOldGuy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 01, 2009, 08:33 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soar_dude
The GL is not really a high wind worker. what is the torque of your servos? you also might try supporting you pushrod tubes under the wing saddle they might be deflecting with air pressure on the rudder in a turn. I am taking a guess here but it look likes you have rudder servo on the right you have connector pretty far out on the horn this will reduce the power the servo exerts on rudder. This is all I can guess at without hands on the glider.

Soar Dude
Cheers SD

When you make it as light as this one, wind is not your friend.

I have load tested the control surfaces for deflection in the rods, I could hardly get any flex, I will check it again. I didn't put a lot of throws in the rudder and I really never gained much speed in my short flights, adding to the rudders lack of authority. I just need to dial in a bit more end point in the 9C.

It really could not be qualified as a good bench mark test flight day, I hope to get a better chance the weekend, get some altitude and speed to trim it out.

Turnigy Micro Servo 16g/2.7kg/.12sec Rudder
Hextronik MG-14 14g/2.2kg/0.11sec Elevator
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2009, 06:58 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
Very nice job! I recently electrified my GL too.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917244

I used a power pod on top of the wing instead of cutting off the nose.
Mine has just enough room in the nose for a 4.8 volt radio pack and a 1300mah 3 cell Li-po. It flies great!

Good luck and have fun with yours.

Bill
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Apr 04, 2009, 07:18 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcneal
Very nice job! I recently electrified my GL too.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917244
I used a power pod on top of the wing instead of cutting off the nose.
Mine has just enough room in the nose for a 4.8 volt radio pack and a 1300mah 3 cell Li-po. It flies great!
Good luck and have fun with yours.
Bill
Cheers Bill!

I too had one too long ago to remember when. I tried to electric the nose with a brushed motor <still have that little brick> and it did not work out, dont really remember what I did with that GL. Was out of the hobby all that time, just to want another GL when I got back in it.

This one came already nose nipped for a glow <I think> so the quick turn to electric was not too bad. I just need a nice day soon, got the itch.

Ron
Old Apr 06, 2009, 04:57 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
about 12" from my computer in Jacksonville Fl.
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
Nothing like taking some gliders to the Park! wmcneal has his Gentle Lady, I have my Sig Riser and a few guys have home builts. Love catching those currents.......
mastrsn is offline Find More Posts by mastrsn
Old Apr 06, 2009, 09:06 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrsn
Nothing like taking some gliders to the Park! wmcneal has his Gentle Lady, I have my Sig Riser and a few guys have home builts. Love catching those currents.......
Wow, you guys got style and variety, what a great fleet!.

Prior to getting my Lady the the Sea Breeze, I thought I was going to have to FFF myself a glider. I never really found and good free plans for a 2 meter. What can I say, Once a scratcher, anyways a scratcher.

I just wish I had some of the Dawn Patrol Weather, talking snow flurries again this week.

Ron
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:03 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
I braved the weather today, 10ish mph wind, not gusting, sprinkling rain now and then. The correct lipo <3S1250> and the folding prop came in Thursday so it was time.

Very powerful, smooth, I got most of the negative expo dialed out and it flew great, even in that much wind Rudder authority was no problem now.

Ron
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:33 AM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
920 Posts
Very, very cool DOG, I hope mine does okay with the 09. I may decide before I get finished to go with a rimfire I have on a 52" 3f wing right now, it is a 970kv and will swing up to an 11x6 prop. The 2410 I have is a different motor than what you find on the net now. The fb I got it from picked it up quite a while back, from headsuprc I believe. But, he said they no longer sell it. The bell is about 1/2" long counting the curve, magnet surface is probably 3/8". It isn't the same motor you see for sale anywhere now. Here is a pic of a motor that is about as close as I have found to the 2410 I have anywhere, in fact the firewall mount on mine is identical to this one color and all. I'll post a pic of mine later when I get done working on these pc's I have covering my desk.
j4ck4 is offline Find More Posts by j4ck4
Old Jul 17, 2009, 05:01 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
Here is a short video clip my wife shot when I wasn't looking at our club Open Fun Fly. I had been up for a while when she started, and was just getting the feel for it.

My 2 other maiden attempts were with out issue, it was just gusting 15 mph when I did them, nothing learned there.

Half throttle it makes a very steep climb on its own, when you cut the power it just drops back to a glide. Full power is a all out vertical climb. There was no wind, we were flying Vapors. After 20 minutes I took the Lipo out and put it in my Firefly and raced about for 10 more minutes, my neck will not out last the lipo.

The Lady just FLOATS at 27 ounces.

2009 SCRC Fun Fly (1 min 55 sec)

Ron
Old Jul 17, 2009, 05:03 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
I got my first taste of real thermals a couple of weekends ago and now I know what all the fuss of spoilers is about. 20+ years ago, I must have never hit one with my GL, the sunburn on my face said it all. I basically had to do a large knife edge circle to bleed off altitude today, what a rush. I am sort of glad I got back into the hobby with 3D electrics first.

Shortly after that, a nitro pilot dropped a 3 foot round trash bag parachute from his plane at 100 foot or so. It sank, right above the flight line, to about 60 feet...... Then started getting smaller. It must have went straight up for about 10 minutes fast and suddenly took off to the south never to be seen again. I got some video of it, not sure how much the camera picked up. Great Thermal Day!

Ron
Last edited by DaOldGuy; Jul 15, 2010 at 08:03 PM.
Closed Thread