SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 15, 2009, 04:43 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
Discussion
Uh oh....should I keep using this battery?

Had a little accident today. Took two hands to pull the motor out of the ground. Unfortunately the battery followed the motor in. The lipo bag is unpunctured, but being fairly new to electric flight, I am not sure if this is still safe. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Harrow.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2009, 06:01 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,523 Posts
You may hear or read stories of people who have successfully re-wrapped and flown damaged batteries that haven't puffed.

But, personally, I wouldn't trust it in my model, or home, or car. The damage it has sustained, even if it still seems to be working okay, significantly increases the risk of it failing catastrophically without warning. I would discharge it somewhere safe (I left mine in the garden for a couple of weeks after a similar incident) and then dispose of it.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Mar 15, 2009, 08:16 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
I've flown and continued to use Lipo's in worst condition but Abenn is absolutely correct, you are taking a chance. If you decide to keep it, just take extra precaution.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong