HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 14, 2009, 07:42 PM
Michigan Flyer
Ada, MI
Joined Jul 2008
6 Posts
Question
My Neighbor Complains about my 18oz noiseless electric? Huh?

I took out my 39" Eflite Edge 540 electric today for first spring flight of the year. We live in a small development in michigan countryside, all homes are on about an acre each. We are at the end of cul-de-sac and my son and I enjoy a large open farm field behind us, along with city land all the way to the freeway - so we really have plenty of room. I can fly my Edge in a small gynasium, but i like to land on our driveway, so I circle out over our neighbors house and approach in between two houses - I would guess the two houses are 200-300 feet apart. Even with a strong cross-wind I can easily clear the houses. I make my pass in-between the two houses in order to hit our driveway. He litterally started thowing rocks at it today! It was pretty hilarious.

Anyway, was wondering if anybody thinks I have anything to worry about legally? Or should I just consider it a warzone and start flying some warbirds and dropping bombs... haha

PS we do know our neighbor has some issues and are praying for him
cnunez2008 is offline Find More Posts by cnunez2008
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2009, 07:50 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
People of limited capability, often are critical of people who are not.
It is the old; "If I'm not interested in it, it is no damn good!" syndrome.
Just try to be polite to the poor wretch.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Mar 14, 2009, 07:52 PM
Here's my newest bud
Whitney, NV
Joined Dec 2008
263 Posts
Some people are just grumpy. He doesn't like that you are having fun.
Aero Ace Ace is offline Find More Posts by Aero Ace Ace
Old Mar 14, 2009, 07:58 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Not to mention it's not restricted flying space. He only owns the land, not the air above it. It's not our fault he doesn['t want to have as much fun as we do

If he does happen to hit your plane, you can always call the police over to settle it.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 14, 2009, 07:58 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,801 Posts
Tell him to quit throwing rocks at your plane. Is what I would do.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Mar 14, 2009, 08:00 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Australia, WA, Cooloongup
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
It's not worth it.
If you keep flying there, the situation will probably get worse and it's no fun to fly in an area where you're just not welcome.

Issues or not, it's you're intrusion over your neighbour's property that's the cause of the problem, and your neighbour has the right to enjoy some peace and quiet in his own home.
TSnake is offline Find More Posts by TSnake
Old Mar 14, 2009, 08:03 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
^But he has not the right to control the airspace.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 14, 2009, 08:08 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Australia, WA, Cooloongup
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Technically you could be right, but what about the moral issues ?

Additionally, the authorities (Police and local council) have the power to make "judgement calls" in this type of situation, in order to keep the peace.

I think if it came down to that, he would lose.
TSnake is offline Find More Posts by TSnake
Old Mar 14, 2009, 08:51 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
If my neighbor had issues with it, I would not fly there. No reason to make enemies over that.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Mar 14, 2009, 08:51 PM
Michigan Flyer
Ada, MI
Joined Jul 2008
6 Posts
Sounds like we are going to have to add our own runway in the backyard. We have the room. Anybody know how to do this? Our local club field used these huge staples to attach what looks like trampoline material to the ground? Looks alot cheaper than asphault isnt it?
cnunez2008 is offline Find More Posts by cnunez2008
Old Mar 14, 2009, 09:53 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
If I had a neighbor that setup final over my house I would raise hell also!! Sure I fly my foamy and blade 400 in my front yard but no way would I fly over or in between someone's house. It's called respect.
ambientech is offline Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:13 PM
Which way is it blowing?
San Francisco, CA
Joined Feb 2009
355 Posts
Be careful

If you damage his property accidentally you could be held liable and if you are AMA, they'll say you shouldn't fly there, so I would be careful and cordial for your own protection.
SF Sloper is offline Find More Posts by SF Sloper
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:19 PM
Diving Down & Flying High
Fontana,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
403 Posts
I fly almost everyday in front of my house & over my neighbors houses with mostly foamy s. I guess I'm lucky my neighbors don't really care. A few really like them But, if I had one bad apple on my block, I would avoid flying too close to he house when he is home.
Will.E.King is offline Find More Posts by Will.E.King
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:20 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,464 Posts
I dont know, I would be pissed if some one was throwing rocks at my plane. I dont mind if someone has an issue with me flying but please just ask me not to fly over your house, DONT THROW ROCKS. I would suggest trying to do an approach from the other side or if there is room stay above your side of the property. All I have to say is if some one hit my plane with something it would be a huge mistake on there part and I would probably end up in jail for it.

I am lucky, I have great neighbors and a 40acre turf farm in front of my house to fly over.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
^But he has not the right to control the airspace.

Hmmmmm....

Are you saying that you can fly a plane 1 foot off the ground in my backyard, and I'm not allowed to touch it because I don't own the airspace over my yard?

Methinks I'd have the right, in a court of law to destroy your plane any way I saw fit...
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Closed Thread