HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:55 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
You can go into the firmware, under the OSD section.

when you see the page layout of the items to be displayed, you will see

Pkv (I think).

You can drag and drop it wherever you want it on the screen.

Hint:

If you don't see it displayed, then it is still there, you have just done something to erase the label on it.

If this is the case, then

You want to click on the window where the Pack Volt is displayed on your osd,

then click on the small window above (where you can rename a feature)

then hit delete, and backspace a few times, until you have sufficiently erased the spaces that were inserted into it.

after you have done that, you can rename it Pkv, and it will appear as it should.

-Mike
I did not have the most current software and firmware. Sigh.

My display looks just like I want.

Thanks again.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:19 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
I did not have the most current software and firmware. Sigh.

My display looks just like I want.

Thanks again.

Rick
aaah, glad to hear it...
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:12 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,985 Posts
New question.

I know it is designed for fixed wing, but I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to use the Guardian Expander on a heli? Elevator and aileron are the same in both types of airframe.

Thanks.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:22 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
New question.

I know it is designed for fixed wing, but I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to use the Guardian Expander on a heli? Elevator and aileron are the same in both types of airframe.

Thanks.

Rick
The expander does not have a place for both roll, and yaw controll.
(aileron and rudder),

so it would not work.

Maybe the guardian 2d/3d,

or better yet, Eagle tree is in the process of making a quad controller, and that may be better suited for heli control also. We will know more about this in a short while.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...08&postcount=7

-Mike
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:31 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Hey guys,

I am getting the Elogger, OSD Pro, Guardian, and Baro Altimeter. In terms of daisy chaining them I was planning on putting OSD, Guardian, Altimeter. I guess it doesn't matter, but would this be a good "order". GPS, Thanks. Just checking to make sure.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:41 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,355 Posts
You are right, there is no best order, but the one thing to be aware of is

that the guardian has to be permanently secured "closest to the CG, and in the proper alignment"

You don't want it to move at all. I use scotch outdoor mounting tape, and I also bring one piece over top, so it cannot move at all, or break free.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Hey guys,

I am getting the Elogger, OSD Pro, Guardian, and Baro Altimeter. In terms of daisy chaining them I was planning on putting OSD, Guardian, Altimeter. I guess it doesn't matter, but would this be a good "order". GPS, Thanks. Just checking to make sure.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:15 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Thanks Mike, I had missed the part about close to the C.G. but it shouldn't be a problem.

They had mentioned Velcro in the manual ("We recommended mounting the Guardian with a piece of two-sided foam tape or Velrco to hold it firmly to your airframe while reducing vibration") but I decided Velcro would allow too much movement and was planning on using the Scotch Outdoor tape so I will do that for sure.

Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:42 PM
Money Shot
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
my sensors are gorrila glued into the airframe but i balance motors/props for filming from these things so mine might be a little different but i've never seen any problems from it.
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:16 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
I am still reading the manuals. I have some questions, but first, here is what I am planning:

Finwing Penquin foamy pusher type FPV plane, 4 channel electric pusher
Frsky 2.4 TX, 5.8 600mw VTX.

I can fly a plane just fine and don't need the Guardian for LOS (unless I accidentall lose sight of it). I don't plan on going all that far on FPV missions as dictated by my radio and vtx equipment.

I have read the manuals and there is a lot to try to absorb. Here are some questions:

Do I use aileron (Guardian manual) or rudder (OSD Pro manual) as input for RTH?

FRSky failsafe works by setting all stick positions on radio and then pressing failsafe button which would then put the servo's in these positions. It looks like I could use the "extreme" throttle method or the 3 servo in one place for a short period method to force RTH. I like the "concept" of the 3 servo method better, but wonder if there is any way for also "force" RTH with a switch.

Considering that I want the Guardian mostly for RTH functionality, should I start with all default settings or are there some that would be better adjusted higher or lower right away?

For RTH should I invoke Heading Hold and Center Stick functions?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:02 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,355 Posts
I use ailerons

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1717573

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that Penguin is a good looking plane...

Quote:
I am still reading the manuals. I have some questions, but first, here is what I am planning:

Finwing Penquin foamy pusher type FPV plane, 4 channel electric pusher
Frsky 2.4 TX, 5.8 600mw VTX.

I can fly a plane just fine and don't need the Guardian for LOS (unless I accidentall lose sight of it). I don't plan on going all that far on FPV missions as dictated by my radio and vtx equipment.

I have read the manuals and there is a lot to try to absorb. Here are some questions:

Do I use aileron (Guardian manual) or rudder (OSD Pro manual) as input for RTH?

FRSky failsafe works by setting all stick positions on radio and then pressing failsafe button which would then put the servo's in these positions. It looks like I could use the "extreme" throttle method or the 3 servo in one place for a short period method to force RTH. I like the "concept" of the 3 servo method better, but wonder if there is any way for also "force" RTH with a switch.

Considering that I want the Guardian mostly for RTH functionality, should I start with all default settings or are there some that would be better adjusted higher or lower right away?

For RTH should I invoke Heading Hold and Center Stick functions?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:13 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Thanks. I am these will be be very helpful.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:40 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Here's a question regarding the OSD Pro.

It has an input: "Throttle from RX" . With an electric model where the ESC plugs into the Throttle channel in the RX do I use a Y cable and also connect the ESC to "Throttle from RX" or do I do something else or plug nothing in here?

Do I ignor "Throttle out to Servo" since there is no throttle servo?

What is "Primary Control input from RX"?

Sorry if I may have missed where this is explained but I don't quite understand. Thanks
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:42 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,355 Posts
Do you plan to use the BEC from the ESC, or are you going to use an external BEC?

Quote:
Here's a question regarding the OSD Pro.

It has an input: "Throttle from RX" . With an electric model where the ESC plugs into the Throttle channel in the RX do I use a Y cable and also connect the ESC to "Throttle from RX" or do I do something else or plug nothing in here?

Do I ignor "Throttle out to Servo" since there is no throttle servo?

What is "Primary Control input from RX"?

Sorry if I may have missed where this is explained but I don't quite understand. Thanks
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:37 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
I was going to use the Switch Mode ESC on my ESC but it turns out that somehow it screws up the RSSI signal from the Digital Analog Converter I have attached to my FrSky RX. Other ESC's I have do not screw it up. The ESC that came with the Penguin puts out 5.6 volts on the BEC, my others put out 5V. Maybe that is what screws up the DAC. So I have ordered a UBec that puts out 5V. . I will use it if doesn't interfere with my RSSI signal. If it does I may have to just use one of my other ESC's with switch mode BECs that don't screw up the DAC RSSI signal. Always glitches, huh?

Better give me the answer "both ways". Thanks.
Last edited by u2builder; Feb 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:08 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,355 Posts
OK,

OPTION 1

Using internal BEC (NO EXTERNAL POWER SOURCE)

This is the easy way.

Plug the Jst plug from the ESC, to the throttle output on the OSD.

Plug the throttle input from the OSD to the reciever (throttle channel)

*This will power your receiver and everything else is self explanitory.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OPTION 2
If you are pulling power from an external BEC, then you do not want to pull power from the built-in BEC (in the ESC).

So you pull the power and negative pins on the ESC,
and then wire it as described above (in option 1).

This isolates the power from the ESC.

Then you would plug your external BEC
into a spare channel on the receiver,
and supply power from that source.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPTION 3
Last option, if you do not have a spare channel plug port on your receiver.

Follow steps in option 2

but use a y harness and plug the external power source in one jack,
the signal wire from the esc into another jack,
and the combined power and signals on the third jack
would plug into the throttle output of the OSD.

Everything else is the same as option 1

FYI: Just in case

You don't need to cut the ESC wire (5 min 37 sec)

Quote:
I was going to use the Switch Mode ESC on my ESC but it turns out that somehow it screws up the RSSI signal from the Digital Analog Converter I have attached to my FrSky RX. Other ESC's I have do not screw it up. The ESC that came with the Penguin puts out 5.6 volts on the BEC, my others put out 5V. Maybe that is what screws up the DAC. So I have ordered a UBec that puts out 5V. . I will use it if doesn't interfere with my RSSI signal. If it does I may have to just use one of my other ESC's with switch mode BECs that don't screw up the DAC RSSI signal. Always glitches, huh?

Better give me the answer "both ways". Thanks.