HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:29 AM
Joined May 2010
993 Posts
Quick tech question:
I was under the impression that the OSD PRO *needed* the guardian stab for RTH to work. I see now that is not the case.
So the OSD PRO has some form of rudimentary stabilization built into it, correct? If it is there, how come it needs the secondary (primary??) guardian add on for stabilization and attitude indicator?
I gather now, that I can add one of my guardian 2d/3d stabilization units *after* the output of the OSD PRO, and have all the fun with that, and failsafe it to 2D, and it will work for RTH also? The only thing I would really be lacking at that point is an attitude indicator?
Deadstick 8409 is online now Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:04 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,191 Posts
Just wondered if there is a current thread for EagleEyes.

I might need to update the firmware but I put two questions at this location but not sure if anyone looks there any more.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post23658487

Thanks
Col
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:01 AM
France, Bourgogne, Nevers
Joined Feb 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick 8409 View Post
Quick tech question:
I was under the impression that the OSD PRO *needed* the guardian stab for RTH to work. I see now that is not the case.
So the OSD PRO has some form of rudimentary stabilization built into it, correct? If it is there, how come it needs the secondary (primary??) guardian add on for stabilization and attitude indicator?
I gather now, that I can add one of my guardian 2d/3d stabilization units *after* the output of the OSD PRO, and have all the fun with that, and failsafe it to 2D, and it will work for RTH also? The only thing I would really be lacking at that point is an attitude indicator?
Pretty much my plan, except I'm waiting for my transmitter to come back from the shop so I can try it.

Question: As a beginner, I understand in general how to failsafe a control to a position. Will read up. Would this perhaps work better?

Since the PRO manual says the RTH function works much better with the stabilizer extension, one could install it, and when using RTH one could failsafe the 2D/3D 3-pos switch to "off" and let the RTH work with the data from the extension. As well, if the stabilizer extension is in the chain, but set to "off"- no stab.-one will still get the horizon all the time--I think. Can someone with more experience see how one might set the extension to no stabilization, but failsafe it to a normal level for RTH?

The stab. extension weighs almost nothing, and the only problem I see is that if they were both giving control commands, bickering stabilizers might be worse than my two daughters' bickering.
Tough to do.
wazoo22 is offline Find More Posts by wazoo22
Last edited by wazoo22; Jan 05, 2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:25 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Issues like that are hard to diagnose from someone describing it.

You should put it in video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Just wondered if there is a current thread for EagleEyes.

I might need to update the firmware but I put two questions at this location but not sure if anyone looks there any more.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post23658487

Thanks
Col
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:30 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Wazoo,

There are two guardians.

the expander is not the 2d/3d, and does not have 3d.

"Just so we are not confused"

If you wanted to fly with the guardian expander, then you could fly it with gains dialed down, and it would default to gains turned up to normal.

So you could in essence switch it off, and it would default to on in the RTH failsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo22 View Post
Pretty much my plan, except I'm waiting for my transmitter to come back from the shop so I can try it.

Question: As a beginner, I understand in general how to failsafe a control to a position. Will read up. Would this perhaps work better?

Since the PRO manual says the RTH function works much better with the stabilizer extension, one could install it, and when using RTH one could failsafe the 2D/3D 3-pos switch to "off" and let the RTH work with the data from the extension. As well, if the stabilizer extension is in the chain, but set to "off"- no stab.-one will still get the horizon all the time--I think. Can someone with more experience see how one might set the extension to no stabilization, but failsafe it to a normal level for RTH?

The stab. extension weighs almost nothing, and the only problem I see is that if they were both giving control commands, bickering stabilizers might be worse than my two daughters' bickering.
Tough to do.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:58 AM
Joined May 2010
993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Wazoo,

There are two guardians.

If you wanted to fly with the guardian expander, then you could fly it with gains dialed down, and it would default to gains turned up to normal.

So you could in essence switch it off, and it would default to on in the RTH failsafe.
One thing I like is the 2d/3d option using the standalone module. I suppose in the bigger picture, it is silly to let it rent too much space. One issue I am up against is available channels on my 8 ch radio. So, with the add on unit, I can change gain on the same slider I use presently, and save the three position switch for the OSD. (is the same three position switch used for the RTH - or do I use the "gear" switch for that? - more reading!) Doing this will save my channel 7 for panning.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:15 PM
Joined Feb 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Wazoo,

There are two guardians.

In RTH?
Egad.
The whole point of my post was to use both Guardians, to get the horizon back and to have 2D/3D functionality as well.
Rather than type "OSD PRO stabilization expander" each time, I use just "expander", and "2D/3D" to indicate the guardian 2D/3D unit.
If I have it right, the Guardian expander would default to normal gain when RTH is active, even if the gain was set low or off.
with this setup the 2D/3D gets to drive in normal flight, (if chosen) and in RTH mode it's the expander/OSD that's in charge.
Full time horizon.
Last edited by wazoo22; Jan 06, 2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:44 PM
Joined May 2010
993 Posts
Wazoo, I agree completely. My FPV a/c will not be exclusive to FPV, and I like the stand alone unit for everyday flying. It is a great crutch!
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:50 AM
FPV,FinancialPocketVoid
Australia, WA, Banksia Grove
Joined Oct 2007
25 Posts
Hi
Im really wanting the timer function displayed on my osd
I cant get it to work/display
Turned on in menus set to 63 screens, what am i missing
I like to know the duration of my flights
Can anyone help

cheers
DEFFX is offline Find More Posts by DEFFX
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:56 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Try setting it to one screen, and see if that works.

I use it all of the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFFX View Post
Hi
Im really wanting the timer function displayed on my osd
I cant get it to work/display
Turned on in menus set to 63 screens, what am i missing
I like to know the duration of my flights
Can anyone help

cheers
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:41 AM
FPV,FinancialPocketVoid
Australia, WA, Banksia Grove
Joined Oct 2007
25 Posts
Quote:
Try setting it to one screen, and see if that works.

I use it all of the time...
Thanks, It works on one screen only, thats cool as i only use one screen
DEFFX is offline Find More Posts by DEFFX
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:42 AM
Joined Feb 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Wazoo, I agree completely. My FPV a/c will not be exclusive to FPV, and I like the stand alone unit for everyday flying. It is a great crutch!
YES. And I can use the crutch.
In my case, I now have double vision at a distance, and I need the help to manage those two airplanes at once. See? Two Guardians! Voila!
The monitor is all close vision, so no problem. But VFR gets hard- like formation flying in two aircraft at once?
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:43 AM
Joined Feb 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
YES. And I can use the crutch.
In my case, I now have double vision at a distance, and I need the help to manage those two airplanes. See? Two Guardians! Voila!
The monitor is all close vision, so no problem. But VFR gets hard- like formation flying in two aircraft at once?

Oops. Double posted. Gotta hitch my chair closer, I guess.
Gummy nose prints on the screen again.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:16 AM
Suomi, Espoo
Joined Sep 2011
167 Posts
Wazoo22 writes: "If I have it right, the Guardian expander would default to normal gain when RTH is active, even if the gain was set low or off."

Regarding OSDPro + guardian:

I just learned that you need to have stabilization enabled for stabilization to work during rth. There are two ways to take "away" stabilization during normal flight and enjoy it only during rth:
a) Use aux2 input (needs one RX channel) to control the gain. The OSD pro understands then that if rx link is lost, it will use the gain specified in the menus during rth, instead of aux2 (which is not available when rx is lost)
b) Use stabilization only at center stick with box size set to 1 (= 10%). Stabilization is only active if your sticks are centered, not when you have deflected aileron or elevator more than 10% from center. This is not strictly "off", though.
Jstjern is offline Find More Posts by Jstjern
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:43 PM
Joined Feb 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstjern View Post
Wazoo22 writes: "If I have it right, the Guardian expander would default to normal gain when RTH is active, even if the gain was set low or off."

Regarding OSDPro + guardian:

I just learned that you need to have stabilization enabled for stabilization to work during rth. There are two ways to take "away" stabilization during normal flight and enjoy it only during rth:
a) Use aux2 input (needs one RX channel) to control the gain. The OSD pro understands then that if rx link is lost, it will use the gain specified in the menus during rth, instead of aux2 (which is not available when rx is lost)
b) Use stabilization only at center stick with box size set to 1 (= 10%). Stabilization is only active if your sticks are centered, not when you have deflected aileron or elevator more than 10% from center. This is not strictly "off", though.
Great. Makes sense to me. Option a) was what I had in mind.

Thanks.