HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:30 AM
Money Shot
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
904 Posts
colster, did you try running the servo wizard again?
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Oct 2012
34 Posts
Thanks guys have opened a ticket....
Servo wizard run...no joy!
Any other suggestions appreciated! Ta
Colt
Thecoltster is offline Find More Posts by Thecoltster
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:34 AM
Money Shot
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
904 Posts
is it hooked up via ppm? if is, look at the ppm setup screen and make sure that channel is moving
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Oct 2012
34 Posts
Hmmm will check that... Thanks for thought!
Thecoltster is offline Find More Posts by Thecoltster
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:44 AM
France, Bourgogne, Nevers
Joined Feb 2012
507 Posts
a straight answer

Bill, Mike, et al
Have mercy. I'm too old for this.
I've put in weeks of work to make a v-tail work with OSD Pro, when I suspect there are a half dozen people here smarter than I who could simply tell me:

Does the Osd Pro support, in any way, by any method, a V-tailed aircraft?
wazoo22 is offline Find More Posts by wazoo22
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:01 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
wazoo,

I have never set-up/flown a Vtail. I remember discussions referring to using a Vtail mixer.

I did a search on this, and the other OSD thread, and that was the preliminary info that came up.

You might do a thread search on Vtail, and contact the people who are involved in conversations concerning Vtail setup on ET systems.

I wish I could help you more at this time. I'll let you know if I get any info that will be of use to you.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo22 View Post
Bill, Mike, et al
Have mercy. I'm too old for this.
I've put in weeks of work to make a v-tail work with OSD Pro, when I suspect there are a half dozen people here smarter than I who could simply tell me:

Does the Osd Pro support, in any way, by any method, a V-tailed aircraft?
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Feb 2012
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
wazoo,

I have never set-up/flown a Vtail. I remember discussions referring to using a Vtail mixer.

I did a search on this, and the other OSD thread, and that was the preliminary info that came up.

You might do a thread search on Vtail, and contact the people who are involved in conversations concerning Vtail setup on ET systems.

I wish I could help you more at this time. I'll let you know if I get any info that will be of use to you.

-Mike
Thanks for your thoughts, Mike.
Done all that and more. Whaddaya think I spent all that time doing? Tried mixing rudder from receiver and elevator from osd, three different make of mixer, Submitted a question, got back an answer that did not relate to my question. Bill suggested I come here from the main eagle tree forum.
Does that mean he can't answer the question, (unlikely) or is it just embarrassing to discuss? It aint like V tails are rare.
There are two common types of mechanical mixers, but I'd have to gut a complex aircraft to use them now. I even considered dispensing with the rudder entirely, and correcting for adverse yaw with differential ailer----oops. Another black hole.
At present I'm thinking on using the guardian extension to get horizon display, and the 2d/3d for stabilization. Dumb-arse setup, because it's a waste of weight and money, it's a plumber's nightmare, and I lose the RTH as well.
Just a straight "no", and I can quit wasting time. A PM, Bill- I can keep a secret.

I'm darned near deRANGEd, if you get the video.
Jim
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:27 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
Ok,

I thought I saw Vtail throughout my ventures, but never paid much attention to it, since it was not foremost on my agenda.

in the manual (page 8) it states that Vtail mixing is supported

In order to do this, you would treat the tail as elevons.

You would set up your model in the transmitter as a standard airframe (aileron / elevator)

Then you would activate stabilzation / mixing in the onscreen menu.

So your OSD would only use the Vtail for RTH, and it would act like elevons
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You do have ailerons don't you?

If so then I would assume that the logical thing to do is to run those to another channel, and link that to the aileron stick.

This one would not pass through the OSD, but would operate your ailerons in normal flight.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you would use the aileron and elevator outputs to the tail, with the model setup in the osd as a vtail,

It doesn't matter which servo goes to which output, but if it doesn't act correctly, then just swap them.

and you would turn on stabilization and mixing.

Your transmitter is set-up as a standard airframe

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts, Mike.
Done all that and more. Whaddaya think I spent all that time doing? Tried mixing rudder from receiver and elevator from osd, three different make of mixer, Submitted a question, got back an answer that did not relate to my question. Bill suggested I come here from the main eagle tree forum.
Does that mean he can't answer the question, (unlikely) or is it just embarrassing to discuss? It aint like V tails are rare.
There are two common types of mechanical mixers, but I'd have to gut a complex aircraft to use them now. I even considered dispensing with the rudder entirely, and correcting for adverse yaw with differential ailer----oops. Another black hole.
At present I'm thinking on using the guardian extension to get horizon display, and the 2d/3d for stabilization. Dumb-arse setup, because it's a waste of weight and money, it's a plumber's nightmare, and I lose the RTH as well.
Just a straight "no", and I can quit wasting time. A PM, Bill- I can keep a secret.

I'm darned near deRANGEd, if you get the video.
Jim
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:59 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,294 Posts
Hi Jim,

if you want to use the osd and guardian for rth and stabilisation AND use the ailerons for turning/stabilisation you have to program a "normal" model on the osd AND also a "normal" model on the tx.
mixing the v-tail happens on the plane with the use of an external mixing-board with an v-tail mixer.
like this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tra_small.html

your wiring should be like this:

receiver rudder ..........to ext. mix .......to v-tail servos
receiver elevator.....to osd el.in/el. out .....to ext. mix .......to v-tail servos
receiver aileron.......to osd ail.in/ ail. out ....to aileron servos (y-cable)

cu Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:01 AM
Joined Feb 2012
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Ok,

I thought I saw Vtail throughout my ventures, but never paid much attention to it, since it was not foremost on my agenda.

in the manual (page 8) it states that Vtail mixing is supported

In order to do this, you would treat the tail as elevons.

(Case !)You would set up your model in the transmitter as a standard airframe (aileron / elevator)

Then you would activate stabilzation / mixing in the onscreen menu.

So your OSD would only use the Vtail for RTH, and it would act like elevons
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Case 2)You do have ailerons don't you?

If so then I would assume that the logical thing to do is to run those to another channel, and link that to the aileron stick.

This one would not pass through the OSD, but would operate your ailerons in normal flight.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you would use the aileron and elevator outputs to the tail, with the model setup in the osd as a vtail,

It doesn't matter which servo goes to which output, but if it doesn't act correctly, then just swap them.

and you would turn on stabilization and mixing.

Your transmitter is set-up as a standard airframe
"Page 8:
Note that “flying wing” models which use elevon or vtail mixing are supported. The elevator
and aileron/rudder servo inputs and outputs are used for the left and right channels, (??) in these
modes. Please see the Safety Mode section for details."

I saw this early on, Mike, but three passes through the safety mode section did not turn up any more info that would apply to v-tails. Note also that it is only "flying wing models that use elevon or v-tail mixing" that are apparently supported, not specifically v-tails.

Case (1) above is out, because my long-wing bird needs ailerons to fly properly.
And case 2 a non-starter for the same reason.
Works fine right up to the point where the RTH is needed, and then we have a bird with neutral stability being flown rudder-only. Not good for long.
So I need those ailerons to be active in RTH. Let's look at Thomas's solution.
Last edited by wazoo22; Dec 05, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Feb 2012
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
Hi Jim,

if you want to use the osd and guardian for rth and stabilisation AND use the ailerons for turning/stabilisation you have to program a "normal" model on the osd AND also a "normal" model on the tx.
mixing the v-tail happens on the plane with the use of an external mixing-board with an v-tail mixer.

receiver elevator.....to osd el.in/el. out .....to ext. mix .......to v-tail servos

cu Thomas
Brilliant, Thomas. My exact approach.
You write with such confidence. Have you tried it?
I bought the first mixer from Topmodel here in france, which, when set up exactly the way you have mapped out, would only operate one surface or servo. The mixer, when hooked directly to both the receiver channels (rudder and elevator) worked fine.
Bought the exact mixer you have linked to, and it "worked", but had two problems: It had a delay of about a half second or a bit more before any surface moved, when hooked up as you suggest. As well, the surfaces, when they finally moved, moved in a ragged way- as if we were looking at perhaps only six or so steps from neutral to full excursion.
I read a post where someone said cheap mixers were a bad idea, so I got the Digimix II, but it was even more weird. It would move about a quarter travel, then reverse direction, then reverse direction again, giving a truly bizarre flapping movement to the rudderators- I call it the "petit mal solution"- so sent it back. The maker said it didn't work well with high end 2.4 gig boxes---Huh? BS. The output is the same set of timed pulses, with an old analog or a slick new digital. I gave up on the Digimix.
I think that somehow the pulse timing is offset or delayed in the OSD, enough to confuse the mixer. Note that it was the cheapest one, the 2 dollar Turigny, that came closest to working.
Which brings us up to now.
I've written this four times now- to ET, twice on the boards, and then to the supplier of the Digimix.

Please keep thinking on the OSD/stabilizer setup-perhaps there is a solution that we've missed.
Failing that, think about a way I might integrate the 2D/3D's two-aileron and real v-tail mixing, and still get stabilized RTH out of the OSD.

Here' a thought-- Daisy chain them.

receiver rudder direct to -------2D/3D
MIX --> rudderators (V tail)
" elevator -->OSD Pro --> 2D/3/D ^

" ailerons --> OSD Pro --> 2D/3D --> ailerons

Would be a single aileron output, need Y-cable.
What happens when they disagree about how much pitch or roll is needed?
Who wins?
Sheesh.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:04 AM
Joined Feb 2012
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
Hi Jim,

cu Thomas
I bought the first mixer from Topmodel here in france, which, when set up exactly the way you have mapped out, would only operate one surface or servo. The mixer, when hooked directly to both the receiver channels (rudder and elevator) worked fine.
Bought the exact mixer you have linked to, and it "worked", but had two problems: It had a delay of about a half second or a bit more before any surface moved, when hooked up as you suggest. As well, the surfaces, when they finally moved, moved in a ragged way- as if we were looking at perhaps only six or so steps from neutral to full excursion.
I read a post where someone said cheap mixers were a bad idea, so I got the Digimix II, but it was even more weird. It would move about a quarter travel, then reverse direction, then reverse direction again, giving a truly bizarre flapping movement to the rudderators- I call it the "petit mal solution"- so sent it back. The maker said it didn't work well with high end 2.4 gig boxes---Huh? BS. The output is the same set of timed pulses, with an old analog or a slick new digital. I gave up on the Digimix.
I think that somehow the pulse timing is offset or delayed in the OSD, enough to confuse the mixer. Note that it was the cheapest one, the 2 dollar Turigny, that came closest to working.
I've written this four times now- to ET, twice on the boards, and to the supplier of the Digimix. Each time I don't save it, because I think it will be my last time.
This time it WILL be.

Please keep thinking on the OSD/stabilizer setup-perhaps there is a solution that we've missed. (I always assumed these were beer glasses. Beats popcorn easy.)
Failing that, think about a way I might integrate the 2D/3D's two-aileron and real v-tail mixing, and still get stabilized RTH out of the OSD.

Who wins?
Sheesh.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:09 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,294 Posts
Quote:
I've written this four times now- to ET, twice on the boards, and to the supplier of the Digimix. Each time I don't save it, because I think it will be my last time.
This time it WILL be.

Please keep thinking on the OSD/stabilizer setup-perhaps there is a solution that we've missed. (I always assumed these were beer glasses. Beats popcorn easy.)

Who wins?
Sheesh.
Hi,

yes, iīve tried this .... but i used a mixer that iīve build by myself 20 years ago (at a time before my first computerized transmitter). this mixer has potentiometers to match the pulse-lenght and servo-throw. unfortunatelly i lost the layout, therefore i canīt post it
so i linked to the hk-mix ... sorry that this mix doesnīt perform well.

your idea to use a guardian 2d-3d may work ... i donīt have a 2d-3d, but your configuration (ailerons and v-tail) is listed in the manual. therefore my opinion is "should work".

Quote:
V-Tail with Ailerons
· Model Control Type setting: V-Tail
· Guardian Receiver Inputs
o Receiver Aileron Output → Guardian Aileron In
o Receiver Elevator Output → Guardian Elevator In
o Receiver Rudder Output → Guardian Rudder In
o Receiver Second Aileron Output → Guardian Aux In
(optional)
· Output
o Guardian Aileron Out → Aileron Servo
o Guardian Elevator Out → V-Tail Servo 1
o Guardian Rudder Out → V-Tail Servo 2
o Guardian Aux Out → Second Aileron Servo (optional)

for rth functions i suggest to connect the osd between receiver and aileron/elevator on the 2d-3d - same like you wrote before.

cu Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:08 AM
Brazil, PR, Curitiba
Joined Mar 2009
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junioro16v View Post
Hey guys,

I think I already read about that but I canīt find where.

There are any plans on ET to implement automatic waypoints navigation or this is an "out of running" feature?
junioro16v is offline Find More Posts by junioro16v
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,465 Posts
Hi,
I am flying AP with multikopter and I am looking for a timer in my OSD pro but cant find any - is there such timer? I reda it badly to have control of how much I can fly until my battery ends. I am of course using the mAh but I also want a timer.
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan