SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:57 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder View Post
Completed a second setup run and have the guardian numbers reduced which made it much nicer. I am at 4 right now and will reduce to 3 to see how that is next time. Two issues I still have:
1. No sound from aircraft, even though the audio ports are plugged in. Hmm.
2. I cannot for the life of me get RTH to activate either in flight or in my shop plugged into the computer. I am going through the manual steps, but I obviously and missing something. I even setup the 3 position switch in hopes of being able to manually active in flight, but that didn't do anything. Of course I tried setting the Guardian gain on the knob and that didn't work either. I obviously need help. Ugh!
check your failsafe setting in the OSD menu, and make sure it is set to RTH.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:39 AM
Money Shot
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
904 Posts
if the servo wizrd was never ran it won;t go into rth will it? did ya run that?

your saying that was done above and when you go to the on screen menu in osd and hit test return to home it won't enable? is there a sattelite module?

on mine i kinda went through that and heres were mine went wrong, maybe it'll help. if you run a ppm receiver like dl, ez, etc, you want to set the radio type on osd pro to pcm/fs. make sure your failsafe has that lowest throttle set and osd set to at least 1 fs channel on the other setting below the type. run the servo wizard thing, when it's all done with your motor un plugged, it should kick on with failsafes set right and the tx turned off. if this is uhf, not the actual radio, the dl,ez transmitter
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:07 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,376 Posts
Good point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloner View Post
if the servo wizrd was never ran it won;t go into rth will it? did ya run that?

your saying that was done above and when you go to the on screen menu in osd and hit test return to home it won't enable? is there a sattelite module?

on mine i kinda went through that and heres were mine went wrong, maybe it'll help. if you run a ppm receiver like dl, ez, etc, you want to set the radio type on osd pro to pcm/fs. make sure your failsafe has that lowest throttle set and osd set to at least 1 fs channel on the other setting below the type. run the servo wizard thing, when it's all done with your motor un plugged, it should kick on with failsafes set right and the tx turned off. if this is uhf, not the actual radio, the dl,ez transmitter
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:49 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
966 Posts
M_beeson, that was what I missed! UGH! The menus of menus of menus can be maddening. Now it activates and I was practicing setting it off in flight with the switches. We'll see how it goes tomorrow (weather permitting)

Thanks Kloner, I verified that as well as a back up. Thanks!

Now if I can figure of the sound issue. Once I test this out and get comfortable, then it will be time to install the UHF system and start learning that system.
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:52 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,376 Posts
I think there is a place where it gives you an option to mute audio, and I think that is defaulted to mute...

It's possible that I am mistaken, but check that out...
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:31 AM
Money Shot
Joined Apr 2010
904 Posts
i only have the v4s and latest osd pros, but mine was talking up a storm when i used it and i don't remember clicking un mute, but man, i've stared at these things so long to get where i am i can't honestly remember

so when you change over to uhf, get your failsafe set in there and re run the servo wizard. You'll make sure not to change the receiver type to ppm even though that's what your using, stick with pcm/fs and it'll go right in if your throttle bottom is setup right.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:09 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
966 Posts
Thanks, I'll keep ya'll posted!
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
I think there is a place where it gives you an option to mute audio, and I think that is defaulted to mute...

It's possible that I am mistaken, but check that out...
I think you are correct about mute being default. It is under configure par. on main osd screen. something audio!! There is a drop down menu to set volume to. I had uncheck to get audio
Best
Michael
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:45 AM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
So here is my maiden voyage with all of my eagle tree equipment, including the ground station.

Aircraft:

Maiden FPV (nothing fancy, as I was just testing everything out):

Spiritus - FPV Test (1 min 10 sec)

I'm curious how the GPS tells the direction the craft is facing for the compass at the bottom. It seems very inconsistant and inaccurate. Based on observation, my best guess that the direction is determined by the direction the aircraft is moving. Is this true? For a plane that should be fine, but for a multiroter that can move in any direction, it's probably not the best method
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:45 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Bergen
Joined Feb 2009
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist View Post
So here is my maiden voyage with all of my eagle tree equipment, including the ground station.

I'm curious how the GPS tells the direction the craft is facing for the compass at the bottom. It seems very inconsistant and inaccurate. Based on observation, my best guess that the direction is determined by the direction the aircraft is moving. Is this true? For a plane that should be fine, but for a multiroter that can move in any direction, it's probably not the best method
Hi,

Yes, with GPS you only get the direction the aircraft is moving.
You need a magnetometer to know what direction the ac is pointing. I think ET is working on a magnetometer, but don't take my word for it, and I don't know when it will be released.
Megafluffy is offline Find More Posts by Megafluffy
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:30 PM
Spring Grove, IL
Joined Sep 2012
88 Posts
Hey Guys,

I am new here and I'm just jumping into this. I have a question.

I have successfully launched a NSB (Near space balloon) last spring with a group of 5th graders. I am going to repeat this project in the spring of 2013 but I wanted to add some additional features.

This FPV stuff is all very interesting with how it can be combined with a Near Space Balloon.

I am sorting through all that is avaiable out there and I wanted to get some expert opinions.

What equipment would you suggest I use for a FPV setup with our next NSB launch?

I would like to have GPS tracking, altitude, temperature, and heading. I have not got a camera for our upcoming project, but I am considering a Go Pro HD hero. I want to be able to transmit the information from the gondola to a ground based antenna, and then patch the information through to a computer.

All the stuff I see on FPV from RC airplane stuff looks like it should work no problem.

I will need to transmitt / receive from about 100,000ft based on line of sight. Any recommendations out there on euipment to get?

Thanks Guys!
paulskyone is offline Find More Posts by paulskyone
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:06 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,376 Posts
So here are my first thoughts.

Basic ET equipment. If you want to transmit live data overlaid on your video downlink.

elogger V4, Osd pro, and GPs.

You can add gforce and thermomoter expanders

Video downlink, I would look at a fairly high powered transmitter, with linnear antennas.

I would definately have a yagi involved in the setup.

Now, I don't know how the gps will function in near space, but you can add a altitude microsensor.

I really don't know how that will work in near space either.

So you are looking at one downlink for video, and that is it. You may want to look at the Pixim camera from Security camera 2000. That has a very good picture.

then you can take the GoPro for a ride, and just grab the SD contents when it lands.

You may also want to look at the Seagull wireless upgrade for a secondary telemetry downlink.

I don't know how the 5.8 would work at 100000 feet, but it would give you the best picture.

The next one that I would look at is the 2.4, for the picture quality, but theoretically the 900 Mhz would travel further, however it could interfere with the GPS if it is located too close to the GPS module, and you may run into 900 Mhz noise which would interfere with the video downlink.

-Mike
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:17 PM
Money Shot
Joined Apr 2010
904 Posts
what kinda altitude is near space? how far off does it drift?

If your not controlling the balloon i'd say a simple logger/barometer/gps and pass on the fpv stuff. the gps does altitude but is horribly inaccurate. wonder is the sensors they use in a barometer would survive a trip that high.

how do you guys locate this thing when it's down?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:25 PM
Spring Grove, IL
Joined Sep 2012
88 Posts
m-beeson

Why do you say I will need the elogger...I thought this is for monitoring electrical power systems?

1.2/1.3mhz 1.5watt vtx and a yagi antenna on the video receiver. Would this be sufficient in your opinion?

The GPS sensor is necessary for recovery of the gondola. I also have a spot GPS that I can use as well, but I was looking to try to simplify.

I am also considering lifting an RC airplane (instead of a gondola) and then fly it back. (as far as I am concerned there is no need for a gondola anymore, just lift an RC plane to 80,000 feet and then fly it down with video link.) What are your thoughts?( I know there are some high altitude aerodynamics to consider here, but it would be an interesting experiment anyway.) I am a pilot for Southwest Airlines so I am somewhat familiar.

I will consider both methods for the video feed (Go Pro / Security Cam). I saw on futurehobbies.com that they have the wiring harness for rigging up a GoPro to transmitter.

M-beeson, thanks you for taking the time to pass along some info! I appreciate it.

PK
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:38 PM
Spring Grove, IL
Joined Sep 2012
88 Posts
kloner

Here is a link to our project from the spring of 2012

https://sites.google.com/site/springgrovensb/

Near Space is anything above 75,000ft

Drift is all dependant on the altitude that the ballon reaches(when it pops) and the winds aloft. There is a really cool web-site for predicting where the balloon is going to land here is the link (we used this web-site and it was only about .5miles off from where the balloon landed)

http://habhub.org/predict/#!/uuid=3f...f8e3580e6a6aae

The way we locate the gondola when its down is with gps. We used 2 seperate methods of GPS tracking. We used a SPOT gps unit, and a motorola iden phone with gps tracking capability through instamapper. Iden is no longer available, they shut it down recently.

The reason I am interested in the FPV is it would be really cool to see in a first person view as the balloon is going up then coming down live as it is happening. It would be really cool to have all the stuff that is displayed with some of the FPV airplanes I see out there. On screen heading, lat/long, altitude, climb/descent rate, plus the capability to track using GPS.