HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by juzwuz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:18 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,838 Posts
Trader Rating: 7
Wow, you got nice red ones! Mine were a drab brown.
I haven't had a chance to try mine yet but they do look good. Looks like I'm gonna have to order some more tho....
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:38 PM
Seattle/Everett, WA
Joined Oct 2004
118 Posts
Trader Rating: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
If you are ever in the need of templates Justin is the man to go to.

I cut my first Supra airfoils using his templates and they are very easy to use and accurate. The leading edge ramps are perfect.

Here's a couple photos of my first cut with his templates.

Happy Holidays
Curtis Suter
Montana
Curtis,
I'm glad you got around to using the templates. Let me know how the rest of the wing goes.
Regards,
Justin
juzwuz is offline Find More Posts by juzwuz
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:42 PM
Seattle/Everett, WA
Joined Oct 2004
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10FLYR View Post
Wow, you got nice red ones! Mine were a drab brown.
I haven't had a chance to try mine yet but they do look good. Looks like I'm gonna have to order some more tho....
Yeah...I ran out of the red a long time ago so now I have a big sheet of white Formica that I'm using.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the wings when you get around to cutting them.

I'm headed back to the garage to cut some more templates.....

Thanks!

Justin
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2010, 07:56 PM
Joined Nov 2004
14 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Can somebody tell me what type of router bit is being used for cutting with the templates. I bought a small table router but the only bits I can find have the bearing on bottom and cutter on top. From what I can tell by watching the videos the bearing needs to be on top so the template is on top of the piece to be cut, so the template rides against the bearing.

Thanks, Gary
Gary Jefferson is offline Find More Posts by Gary Jefferson
Old Dec 25, 2010, 09:33 AM
United States, OR, Tualatin
Joined Apr 2005
2,435 Posts
Trader Rating: 20
I think it is called a "plunge router bit". They come with a square tip or round tip.
TomFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TomFlyer
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:23 PM
Seattle/Everett, WA
Joined Oct 2004
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Jefferson View Post
Can somebody tell me what type of router bit is being used for cutting with the templates. I bought a small table router but the only bits I can find have the bearing on bottom and cutter on top. From what I can tell by watching the videos the bearing needs to be on top so the template is on top of the piece to be cut, so the template rides against the bearing.

Thanks, Gary
Gary,
The templates I've been making are usually meant for hot wire foam cutting. I can cut templates for routing if you want...probably best to use hardboard for those kinds of templates.
Justin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2011, 05:40 AM
United States, NC, Tryon
Joined Sep 2005
211 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
Justin,
I'm interested in getting some templates from you. I'd definitely like a set for the Supra and I was also hoping to get a set for something resembling a poly supergee. That's probably not a good desription as I would want the ag12,13,14 series that's designed for use without flapperons, but I'd still use the sg planform so... The only catch is that I don't have access to any foil software so I'm unsure as to how to send the dxf's to you. Is it possible for you to change the sg set that you sell to the AG 12,13,14 instead? Since I'm using the same plan the foam would be blocked out the same, just cut a little differently. Thanks' for any info you can provide

Simon
soarsimon is offline Find More Posts by soarsimon
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:08 PM
Seattle/Everett, WA
Joined Oct 2004
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarsimon View Post
Justin,
I'm interested in getting some templates from you. I'd definitely like a set for the Supra and I was also hoping to get a set for something resembling a poly supergee. That's probably not a good desription as I would want the ag12,13,14 series that's designed for use without flapperons, but I'd still use the sg planform so... The only catch is that I don't have access to any foil software so I'm unsure as to how to send the dxf's to you. Is it possible for you to change the sg set that you sell to the AG 12,13,14 instead? Since I'm using the same plan the foam would be blocked out the same, just cut a little differently. Thanks' for any info you can provide

Simon
Simon,
I use Profili Pro to generate the airfoil templates so all you have to do is specify the airfoil type, chord length, and washout angle if any. If you just want the SG2 planform except with the AG12,13,14 airfoils, that's all the information I need to generate the templates. Let me know if you're interested in formica or phenolic since that affects the price. Thanks!
Justin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:10 AM
Greensboro, Pa.
Joined Jun 2002
141 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
My templates arrived today for my Tinamou flying wing. This will be my first foam core project and I was really impressed with the patience that Justin had working with me and he eventually had to ship the templates sandwiched between cardboard. Outstanding work on Justins behalf. He is "The Template Man". What ever you want he can make them.
PDARR is offline Find More Posts by PDARR
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:38 AM
Joined Feb 2009
142 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Hi Justin, I would like to order some templates. Haven't done any foam cutting yet. but I alsmot got my hotwire bow ready. But can you suggest what is the the easiest template for a newbie? I've read some, like the positive templates, Some like negative templates. Any advise?
rcpinoy is offline Find More Posts by rcpinoy
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:27 PM
Seattle/Everett, WA
Joined Oct 2004
118 Posts
I've got an extra set of formica Zone V2 2P wing and Edge Tail templates available for $35 shipped if anyone is interested. Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2011, 07:14 PM
Joined Jan 2009
0 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Justin are the Zone v2 2p and edge tail templates still available? Bill
billair is offline Find More Posts by billair
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:27 PM
Seattle/Everett, WA
Joined Oct 2004
118 Posts
I'm still making hot wire templates if anybody is interested.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2011, 12:41 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,838 Posts
Trader Rating: 7
Are you still making them if we are not interested?

BTW, I wus just thinking of having a few more made. I'll PM you in a few days....
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:21 PM
Seattle/Everett, WA
Joined Oct 2004
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10FLYR View Post
Are you still making them if we are not interested?

BTW, I wus just thinking of having a few more made. I'll PM you in a few days....
I guess I had that poorly worded.... What can I say? I'm an engineer not a writer.....

Just recently I had some people ask if I was still making templates so the answer was yes...

Let me know what you have in mind for templates.

Cheers!
RCG Plus Member