HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2009, 02:06 AM
Joined Sep 2006
259 Posts
Question
Do I have a chance?

Hey all,

I am new to the AG world but the bug hits hard. I tried building a gyro stick of sorts with minimal luck. What I am most interested in is a pusher single rotor but no DC. I thought maybe v-tail or taileron setup. Any chance this is possible and would fly reasonably well. If so any specs or help would be great from what seems to be a small but wise AG crowd.

Thank you in advance!
Stefan "flightless in seattle"
stefalo is online now Find More Posts by stefalo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2009, 01:53 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hello,
Of course you have a chance! In my opinion the trial and error that leads up to flight is as much fun as flying. If you are looking for a single rotor pusher there are lots out there. One in particular that I am in the process of building is Jochen's Minimum. I'm not sure how difficult it will be to fly because I haven't flown it yet. You will find a lot of info on the Minimum here. PeterO has done an outstanding job on his, with a build log on his own site, and many helpful videos. He certainly makes it look good in the air, but then again, he's an experienced autogyro pilot. That's a good place to start for info for sure. Hope this helps.
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2009, 02:56 PM
Joined Sep 2006
259 Posts
Mike,

Thanks, I am really trying to stay away from DC head and just go rigid but I do love the micromum and minimum. They might be my eventual choice.
Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2009, 03:21 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefalo
Mike,

Thanks, I am really trying to stay away from DC head
For what reason ?

PeterO_UK
PeterO_UK is offline Find More Posts by PeterO_UK
Old Mar 14, 2009, 03:29 PM
Joined Sep 2006
259 Posts
Really just simplicity sake. I want something I can easily replicate for a couple of friends.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 04:53 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Stefan,

even if you try to stay away from a DC head, you can't go rigid, you'll have too much asymmetric lift. And if you have to build flapping hinges, why don't you control the head?

Jochen
JochenK is offline Find More Posts by JochenK
Old Mar 14, 2009, 05:01 PM
Suck it and see
Cromer, North Norfolk Coast, UK
Joined Aug 2008
525 Posts
Stefan

If you insist on a rigid head and only one rotor shaft, the only option I see is to have 2 contra rotating concentric rotors.

John
Norfolk Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Norfolk Flyer
Old Mar 14, 2009, 05:15 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Stefan, John,

I'm not too sure about John suggestion. If you use two stiff concentric rotors, you'll eliminate the effects of coning, but not the effects of asymmetric lift. Asymmetric lift will make the gyro lift its nose, independent of the direction the rotor is spinning.

Jochen
Old Mar 14, 2009, 05:17 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,060 Posts
A simple question.
How will you steer the single, non controllable rotor?
(Here we go again.... )
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old Mar 14, 2009, 05:32 PM
Joined Apr 2007
311 Posts
Hi Stephan, If you do not plan on using some sort or stub wing with dihedral, the only other known solution for making a gyro steer well with rudder is to use the twin-coaxial rotor system. The Super Libelle (I have the plans) is such a machine. This rotor system must use lead-lag hinges to bring the center of lift back to the rotor axle. Otherwise, it will ride nose-high. Manageable, however. Perhaps if you build a pusher gyro like Rich's RPG, fix the rotor, and add a dihedraled stub wing with its center of lift generally in line with the rotor axle, you may have a success. Good luck, as I am interested in this sort of simple control for the autogyros. Charlie Anderson
ottogiro58 is offline Find More Posts by ottogiro58
Old Mar 14, 2009, 05:48 PM
Joined Sep 2006
259 Posts
I did not want to give the impression that the rotor wont have built in flex just not hinged fore/aft or right/left. I was hopeing tailerons would create enough twisting force to turn the gyro. If all else fails I guess the micromum looks like quite a lot of fun. Anyone have suggestions on a simple hinged head design.

Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2009, 04:01 AM
Suck it and see
Joined Aug 2008
525 Posts
Stefan, Jochen,

Re. non controllable concentric rotors,...

This one seems to fly OK... (picture attached)

John
Old Mar 15, 2009, 06:38 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
John,

if you have a look at the video, you'll see that the Commanche is flying around with a turned-up nose: asymmetric lift. Otherwise, she's a sight to see.

Jochen
Old Mar 15, 2009, 09:09 AM
Suck it and see
Joined Aug 2008
525 Posts
Jochen,

Agreed, the rolling components of assymetric lift are cancelled by the 2 rotors opposing each other, but the "nose up" components just add together!

Stefan insists upon a single rotor shaft, so I can see no alternative. This type is obviously flyable, although it does fly rather oddly I must admit.

Stefan,

I think your quest for a single rotor fixed head 'gyro will be a long one. Please prove me wrong and tell us about it here.

John
Old Mar 15, 2009, 09:27 AM
Joined Apr 2007
311 Posts
Hi John, Can you post a link to the Comanche video/any other info on it ?? Thanx, Charlie
ottogiro58 is offline Find More Posts by ottogiro58