HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:34 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,183 Posts
HEAT>>>HEAT rejection ???

Plastic pipe is death to the motor. If I visualize the tube in a tube description correctly.

I did industrial upgrades for a living. How are you going to move enough air thru & around the motor in a fixed in position use ? Airplane motors are rated at typical flying speeds.......Some flying speed with good air movement.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:55 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott
They do (in a poorly designed motor that doesn't have enough back-iron).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953949

That is astounding. Never gave it a thought. Glad I use PU impregnated paper tubes now.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Mar 14, 2009, 02:11 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Mar 2003
2,110 Posts
On similar lines, using plastic instead of aluminum for the stator carrier (bearing tube) can noticeably improve the performance of an outrunner motor in some some cases.
landru is offline Find More Posts by landru
Old Mar 14, 2009, 02:26 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Aug 2008
42 Posts
I am using helicopter versions of the motor with built in centrifugal blower. At 8000 rpm the motor sucks quit a breeze through the windings. The motor itself was running quite cool, just the copper pipe was heating up very quickly. The original motor had a centrifugal blower attached to cool the same way.

The epoxy laminate fiberglass I ordered is rated to 510 F. The epoxy I will use is rated to the same temperature.
leybold12 is offline Find More Posts by leybold12
Old Mar 14, 2009, 02:31 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
I noticed the aluminum stator tube seems to get hotter than the windings. I wonder if CF tube like the Westport kits would improve things.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Mar 14, 2009, 02:46 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,183 Posts
You realize that the motor has almost NO metal holding all of the magnetic field in side of the motor ? I would just take the easy way out with non-metallic........ METAL. .....Should now be a known shortcoming of outrunners ??
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:12 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Aug 2008
42 Posts
I guess the question is whether the lack of iron in the rotor of the outrunner will cause a loss of efficiency at higher currents (higher magnetic fields) or a saturation point of the iron rotor where the motor will draw more current but not provide more torque.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:37 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leybold12
I guess the question is whether the lack of iron in the rotor of the outrunner will cause a loss of efficiency at higher currents (higher magnetic fields) or a saturation point of the iron rotor where the motor will draw more current but not provide more torque.
More than anything, the thin rotor iron will result in lower peak power output before the motor runs into saturation. Then it will draw excessive amperage with little or no power gain as you described. Efficiency usually isn't affected that much. Maybe 1-2% at most.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:08 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Aug 2008
42 Posts
I guess I have to beef up the dyno so I can draw more than 30 amps off the motor to see the saturation point.