SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 12, 2009, 06:13 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Aug 2008
42 Posts
Help!
Huge jump in no load current

Okay, I know this isn't RC exactly, but I am experimenting with RC brushless motors as a substitute in industrial applications. This might apply to motor construction.

I have a Turnigy SK 63-64-230kv outrunner running off 37 volts. I am driving it with a Sentilon HV-100A esc. Without load, I draw approximately 2 amps as my Io/no load current. I mount the motor in an adapter so the motor can mounted inside a tool. I made the adapter out of copper pipe (cheap, easy to machine, good heat transfer, easy to braze). See photo below.

Now when I turn on the motor, the no load current at full rpm is close to 5 amps. When I shut off the throttle, the motor now stops like the brake is on (it is off). In 15 seconds the copper adapter becomes too hot to touch. The copper around the rotor (about 0.1 inch air gap) gets hot very quickly as if the copper is being heated by induction. I had thought that I would not have inductive heating since I used copper.

I tried it with an Towerpro 5330-10T. The no load current jumped from 2.6 amps to 5.8 amps. I tried it with a Scorpion HK4035-560 which leaves a 0.5 inch air gap between the rotor and the copper and there was no increase in no load current.

Any idea what is going on?

David
leybold12 is offline Find More Posts by leybold12
Last edited by leybold12; Mar 12, 2009 at 06:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2009, 06:16 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Aug 2008
42 Posts
Quick update. I had a piece of copper pipe that left about a 0.1" gap around the Scorpion outrunner motor. When I ran the Scorpion motor inside the pipe, the was no increase in no load current.

I also got a second piece of pipe that fit around the SK 63-64-230kv motor that did not have the cross piece for mounting the motor. Holding it around the motor while running increased the no load current to near 5 amps. The copper pipe got hot fast even though it was not in physical contact with the motor.
Last edited by leybold12; Mar 12, 2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 06:57 PM
X-Era Motors
Newport, NC
Joined Jan 2002
2,225 Posts
RC motors can leak a lot of flux...you're just getting major eddy current losses in that copper. I would make that can from PVC, Delrin or something similar.
DavidB. is offline Find More Posts by DavidB.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 07:13 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Aug 2008
42 Posts
If I cut the cylinder in half along the axis and reattached the two halves with an insulator and epoxy, would that stop the eddy currents? I am just trying to visualize the direction of the current flow.

The copper pipe fits perfectly and is mechanically rigid so I would prefer to use it in some form.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 07:22 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,715 Posts
Or beef up the rotor-ring to keep the flux were it belongs. This will lower Kv though...
Or build the ring up from thin metal 'washers'.
Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Mar 13, 2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 07:25 PM
Joined Feb 2001
10,715 Posts
Lamination thickness versus eddy currents
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813618

Nice eddy current demos, notice the braking effect:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465019

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Mar 13, 2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 07:55 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,424 Posts
Look up Lenz law. The leakage flux from the rotating motor induces a current in the surrounding copper. You can limit this effect by cutting a slice down the copper sleeve and placing an insulating strip in there. This will break the electric circuit in the copper ring.

Another solution is to use a less conductive material. Ron's solution of increasing the thickness of the flux ring is the best solution, but that may not be practical in your case. It might be easier just to buy a Scorpion motor.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:24 AM
Bedford, MA
Joined Nov 2000
324 Posts
Since the motor has many alternating poles around the rotor, a single axial cut in the copper tube will only yield a small improvement in losses. Lamination in the direction Ron suggests would be electrically better, but not practical to make. As others have suggested, contain the flux with a thicker flux ring and/or use a non-conductive material for your mount.

-Tracy
tclark is offline Find More Posts by tclark
Old Mar 13, 2009, 01:17 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
I'm confused. How come aluminum mounts don't cause heat?
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Mar 13, 2009, 02:26 PM
Joined Feb 2001
10,715 Posts
I take it you are referring to the stator-carier? Hardly/no flux (changes) in them.

Prettig weekend Ron
Old Mar 13, 2009, 02:32 PM
Joined Feb 2001
10,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
... Or beef up the stator-ring to keep the flux were it belongs. This will lower Kv though...
Ooops I meant rotor-ring of course.
I corrected that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
... Or beef up the stator-ring to keep the flux were it belongs. This will lower Kv though...
Or put thin iron strips between the magnetpoles, either on the in- or outside of the flux-ring.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Old Mar 14, 2009, 06:20 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich smith
I'm confused. How come aluminum mounts don't cause heat?
They do (in a poorly designed motor that doesn't have enough back-iron).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953949
Bruce Abbott is online now Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Mar 14, 2009, 07:57 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,113 Posts
Guessing.

The type of metal AROUND the motor when it is mounted in the machine can affect the magnetic fields of the motor. It may be a easily magnetized metal.
Test it with any magnet. Post back the results.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Mar 14, 2009, 07:59 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,113 Posts
Do you have a picture of the motor in the machine ?
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:25 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Aug 2008
42 Posts
The copper pipe adapter slides snugly into a a plastic housing (replacing an 120v series wound motor). You would see even less with the motor mounted into the housing.

So from your guys description, there is magnetic field leaking out of the rotor can. If I were to run the motor power leads close to the rotor, I might induce enough emf to confuse the sensorless controller (they were going to run just outside the copper pipe which would have shielded the wires).

I just order some fiberglass laminate sheet to form an fiberglass tube. I will have to think about moving power wires futher away from the motor.

David