HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:30 PM
central CA
Joined Aug 2002
347 Posts
That was a very awesome looking and flying plane. everybody stopped to watch it, very cool!
draftman1 is offline Find More Posts by draftman1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:48 PM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
Marnochs.
Really enjoyed your video and plane. AWESOME performance and a beautiful model.

I'm very intersted in how you set up your motors to provide differential steering. I would like to set up my PBY to function that way but I've been told I need a transmitter that can do three C-Mix capability.
Please explain just how you did yours,
I would greatly appreciate knowing what Transmitter model you use and how the mix is performed.
THANKS,
Don
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:07 PM
Joined Dec 2007
410 Posts
SCALE BRAD...

I have a ? about the UBEC, Align BEC, etc... you mentioned earlier.

I was planing on running a similar set up on my plane. Using the Castle ESC hooked up to the receiver on separate channels for differential steering, I was relying on the ESC w/ BEC to power the planes servos. So I was confused while reading your post why you have separate power? As i right this im wonder if you do this b/c your NOT using the Low Volt Cutoff so potentially running down your batts 100% would be bad...real bad. Is that it?

Thanks for your time
greggk is offline Find More Posts by greggk
Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:55 PM
Canyon Country, California
Joined Dec 2006
96 Posts
Differential Thrust

Rudderman and donjiskra

Differential Thrust.

Im using a JR 9303 2.4Ghz radio makes it really easy as its designed with a twin engine feature in the setup. This is the setup in my radio.

Right CC Phoenix60 speed controller plugged into Throttle channel
Left CC Phoenix60 Speed controller plugged into AUX3 channel
Both red power/bec lines unplugged from the SC connector and heatshrink tubing isolated.

In the SYSTEM section:
Under DeviceSEL,
set AUX2,AUX3 and AUX4 to INH to inhibit their function.

Under Wing TYPE menu:

..........In the TWIN E. section
..........Set Mate to AUX3 and Trim to ACT , I left the AUXT at INH

In the Model Function List:

Servro Reverse: RTHR and LTHR set to normal

Sub Trim: RTHR and LTHR set to 0

Travel Adjust: RTHR set to H100% & L100% and LTHR set to +100% & -100%

Program Mix3:
RUDDer > LTHR - set POS1 0%
..................................-39%

set GER(gear switch) to POS1 in the switch menu at the bottom of the screen

Program Mix4:
RUDDer > RTHR -set POS1 +39%
.......................................0%

Set GER(gear switch) to POS1 in the switch menu at the bottom of the screen

With this setup when you pull the gear switch toward the front of the transmitter the function is activated. When left rudder is commanded the right throttle is advanced and when right rudder, the left throttle is advanced

When I get out on the water, I advance the throttle trim to keep the motors turning when the throttle stick is at the low position.

Aileron > Rudder mix has no effect on the throttle mixi
marnochs is offline Find More Posts by marnochs
Last edited by marnochs; Mar 30, 2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 09:12 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
734 Posts
Absolutely great video of a beautiful plane. Thanks for posting it.

Those yellow and red 215s are a very regular sight in these parts and are one of my favourite planes. I even have a limited edition print (called Bull's Eye) of a 215 making a drop on one my walls.

I'm very interested to see how these nitroplanes models fly and if the reports are even half favourable, I'll be ordering one for sure!
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Mar 30, 2009, 09:17 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marnochs
Rudderman and donjiskra

Differential Thrust.

Im using a JR 9303 2.4Ghz radio makes it really easy as its designed with a twin engine feature in the setup.
Thanks marnochs.

Even though I don't have a 9303, I do have a Multiplex Evo 12 and it is fully programmable. Just have to translate your inputs to mine.

Much appreciated.

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:59 PM
Joined Dec 2006
96 Posts
wing tip view

camera takes a dose of water and it gets confused in the audio dept.

FlyCamOne2

CL 215 flight wingtip view (2 min 40 sec)
Old Mar 31, 2009, 01:16 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,298 Posts
Great camera angle....now let's see some touch and go's!
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Mar 31, 2009, 07:01 AM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
Thanks marnochs,
Much appreciated on your differential thrust set-up.
I don't have a JR9303, just a JRXP642 and a recent AirtronicsRDS8000,
neither have such programmability. Too bad :-(
Don
BTW:I sure enjoy your postings, many thanks for keeping us updated.
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Old Apr 02, 2009, 07:19 PM
Joined Dec 2006
96 Posts
Water in wing tip pontoons

ScaleBrad,

Great Idea filling the wing tip pontoons with foam. After flying this past weekend, I turned my wing over and about 2 tablespoons of water ran out.

Thanks

Scott
Old Apr 03, 2009, 11:55 AM
115 inches of 'hog
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marnochs
ScaleBrad,

Great Idea filling the wing tip pontoons with foam. After flying this past weekend, I turned my wing over and about 2 tablespoons of water ran out.

Thanks

Scott
Thanks for all the posts and videos, sorry I haven't had a chance to post some updates here, but the build is almost done.

A word of caution when using the expanding foam. Only use a SMALL amount at first in the bottom of the floats- and let it dry overnight. What happened to mine, is the open part (top) of the tip float dried first, and this stuff has more pressure than I thought while drying!! The inside then began to expand, and caused one float to distort and made it blow out and warp the fiberglass. i was able to carve out some foam and mostly press the float back into shape. I still have a buuble in the glass where it was weak and the foam pushed it out..so be careful, use just a quick burst of the foam in each corner of the bottom, let it dry overnight, then add a little more, then again the next day. Don't try to fill it all at once.

Also, I will be using some clear silicone sealant (from auto parts store) to seal the float to the wing.
ScaleBrad is offline Find More Posts by ScaleBrad
Old Apr 03, 2009, 12:05 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggk
SCALE BRAD...

I have a ? about the UBEC, Align BEC, etc... you mentioned earlier.

I was planing on running a similar set up on my plane. Using the Castle ESC hooked up to the receiver on separate channels for differential steering, I was relying on the ESC w/ BEC to power the planes servos. So I was confused while reading your post why you have separate power? As i right this im wonder if you do this b/c your NOT using the Low Volt Cutoff so potentially running down your batts 100% would be bad...real bad. Is that it?

Thanks for your time
DO NOT use the Castle ESC's built-in BEC, as it can only handle a few servos, I am not sure of the specs, but once you go over 3S I believe Castle advises you to disable the BEC as it can overheat and cause complete loss of servo control!!

Plus, if you have an ESC failure you will lose control. Add to that the fact we are flying off of water !!

A separate battery for the servos is good insurance. If you have an ESC failure, because of water damage, overheating, defective motor, etc, or even a bad wiring connection to your battery, or a solder tab on your lipo that cracks- you lose the plane.

You can of course just run a standard NIMH or NICD flight pack and switch, but I prefer Lithium batteries..and the ALign setup is inexpensive and comes with a built in voltmeter, plus the built in "soft-switch" which has minimum voltage traveling through it.

You can also run a separate BEC of the flight batteries to power your servos, but on a plane this big and heavy, plus the water factor, I think the completely separate flight battery is best, and it's not expensive either.
Old Apr 03, 2009, 03:45 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
882 Posts
Sealing Wingtip Floats

That was my idea about using the expanding foam. Sorry about that Brad!

A couple more suggestions:
1. Same procedure for sealing wing to wing saddle. Lay down a thin bead of silicone sealer around the edge of the tip float, then lay down plastic wrap on top of silicone and attach float to wing. Let set for 24 hours, disassemble float from wing, remove plastic wrap, watertight silicone bead will run perimeter of tip float and float can be removed from wing for future maintenance.

2. Cut a thin piece of styrene, .015 or .020 to fit top of tip float. Glue styrene to top of tip float. Should seal up tip float nicely.

Opinions?
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Apr 03, 2009, 11:53 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
OK Freddy, we'll compromise...I thought about filling the floats and you came up with the solution.

I like your idea about making a "gasket" with clear silicone but I got lazy and just put some on there to seal it.
Old Apr 03, 2009, 11:56 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
One thing I have to say, is that the pictures do not do this plane justice. It really looks much nicer in person, it has a presence unlike any of my other airplanes.

I have the airframe completed, with all servos installed and pushrods connected. looks like about 11.5 lbs as shown, that includes only the complete airframe with servos, motors, esc's, and props.

I replaced the included nylon wing bolts with some SAE hardware, because it is difficult to find replacement metric nylon bolts, and I don't trust the Chinese plastic ones..they are sometimes too brittle. I also added a nylon spacer glued into the wing so the bolts seat at the proper angle.

Another important note- The instructions for the rudder servo horn are wrong. The pushrod needs to go towards the bottom of the plane, or else the horn has no material in the rudder to grab on to. Another builder on RCU did this as per instructions and crushed the rudder. See picture.

Servo control arm screws not installed yet until I get all the servos centered.

After much searching, I did find some Corrosion-X locally and sprayed the ESC's with it. First time trying this, as per recommendations from other seaplane flyers
Last edited by ScaleBrad; Apr 04, 2009 at 12:08 AM.