HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2009, 07:21 AM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
By the way for those who dont know the big CL-215 on video is
all made by composite honey comb.
It weights 33kgr (water included) and once water is dropped it weights 12kgr.
2 65 fuel engines.
Before 2 months i emailed the guy on behalf of a friend and asked him if he still constructs those planes and unfortunately his answer was no.
To my question of how $$$$ does it cost he replied:
15K only the plane
20K all included!!!

pappy69 is offline Find More Posts by pappy69
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2009, 08:46 AM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
Thanks fast freddy! Much work but it really worths the time consumed!!!!
You know I talked the other day with Martin and he told me that he is already working on a bigger scale and soon he is going to produce this kit in 3m wing span.
He also works on massive production on the scale retracts which will need only to be assembled.They are going to be sold separately.
Last edited by pappy69; Mar 21, 2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 12:54 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Pappy,

I just spent the last two hours reading your thread and it is very informative for those who have Martin's kit (like I do). Your work is stellar and the retract construction section of your thread has me now reconsidering the idea of adding retracts to my kit if I ever get around to building it.
Did you say that Martin will have the retracts available as an assembled unit?

Thank you so much for sharing your work with us.

Freddy,
Thanks for talking me into keeping my kit.

Brad, You done with your plane yet?

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Mar 21, 2009, 01:10 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
892 Posts
Perry, Glad I could be of some assistance.

Pappy, You're workmanship is amazing. This kind of modeling and building is like art! I love the water drop mechanism.

I'd love to buy a kit like that, just don't have that kind of time in my life right now.

Carry on!
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Mar 21, 2009, 01:27 PM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
Rudderman98 thanks very much for your comments!!
I consider my duty to share knowledge and lessons learned from this experience!! Κit building is demanding and i know many people would like to build such an aircraft but unfortunately they dont have a reference to stat with. Ιt might not be the best technique i use but for sure it's a point to start and get an idea .
Fast Freddy thanks also for your kind words. As i mentioned above i like to share. Thats the oposite of some people i met in the forums. I know that they builded already a CL-415 but when you ask them they dont share nothing with anybody. You see them appear in every post and they read everything concerning canadair but they never comment anything and for sure they don't talk about their construction. Besides our hobby you cant study it anywhere. Just ask and tell.
I would like also to be excused from the guy that started the thread for jumping in!!!
Last edited by pappy69; Mar 21, 2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 05:48 PM
115 inches of 'hog
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
pappy that is a work of art you have going there. I am following your (other) build thread.

Thanks for posting it !
ScaleBrad is offline Find More Posts by ScaleBrad
Old Mar 22, 2009, 05:56 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Work continues on the CL415.

Did some shopping at the LHS yesterday, got everything I need to complete the plane except the reverse rotation 13x8 MA 3-balde, they have the pusher 3-blades in every other size except the one I needed, I'll order that tonight.

Decided on a separate flight battery, going to use the Align setup, priced right and has a built-in voltmeter. 2S 1900 mah flight pack should be enough for a entire days flying.

Found the motors needed quite a bit more forward length than I'm used to seeing on my electric conversions. Found a new solution as you can see from the pics. The white vinyl pipe is cheap, strong, and when tightened down makes a very strong mount. Took all day to get the motors mounted, the factory X marks are not correct, the open hole looks centered to the cowl but I found after installing the motors I was still 1/2" too high even with the built in down thrust. I found one firewall had right thrust, the other did not. I took out the right thrust with some washers since I will be using counter-rotating props.

Had to do some trimming and cutting on the motor mount assemblies to be able to slip the cowling over everything.

Got the wing control surfaces hinged, some of the CA hinges were pushed into the wing from the factory and had to be dug out.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:02 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
On another note..the 10 lb weight specified seems a little optimistic. I just weighed everything- and I am calculating about 13-14 lbs AUW. This includes the flight batteries. I am coming up with about 11.5 lbs without batteries. I wonder what the KMP version comes in at? A .50 4-stoke weights about 15 oz so I know my electric setup is not any heavier than glow at this point. The power 46's weigh about 10-11 oz's with x-mount and prop adapter.

EDIT: KMP lists their Cl-215 @ 12 lbs. Figuring + 1 1/2 pounds with glow fuel on board, 13 1/2-14lbs AUW. Sounds about right
Last edited by ScaleBrad; Mar 22, 2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:09 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
I replaced the small lightweight wing dowels with something more substantial.

Also, I have a large gap between the wing halves. There are 2 wing tubes, removing the main tube corrects the gap. The holes with the gap are also 1/2" too far apart to match the holes in the fuselage.

I am thinking about making the wing one piece. Not permanent, maybe just leaving them together and wrap the gapped area with black vinyl to cover it. The holes in the wing can be redrilled and a hardwood covered in yellow to keep the bolts from crushing the balsa.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:09 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
892 Posts
Brad, Yikes, you are really moving along. Here's a link to a build thread on the KMP CL-215. The plane was built using (2) OS .55's. You might find some useful information.

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6625950/tm.htm

Later
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Mar 23, 2009, 02:19 PM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
To correct the gap you might need to cut some mm from both sides of the main tube. Maybe the tube is slightly longer then the length of the insert
Old Mar 23, 2009, 03:42 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy69
To correct the gap you might need to cut some mm from both sides of the main tube. Maybe the tube is slightly longer then the length of the insert
Thanks Pappy I checked and the wing tube is about 1/4" shorter than the wing socket...So that's not the problem. I may just run a strip of black covering over the gap and leave the wing one piece for now.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 05:39 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Woo Hoo!

Mine just arrived. I'll open it up later this evening. Much later...

Perry
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:43 PM
Canyon Country, California
Joined Dec 2006
96 Posts
Looks like the build is going great, I'm just finishing up on my KMP CL215 and maiden with be this weekend at the Visalia Float Fly. Powered by a pair of GreatPlanes Rimfire 42-60-600kv and 5-cell lipo's. Propeller are Master Airscrew 3b 12x6, current draw is around 30 amps.
Weight's going to be around 14lbs. Wing is two piece for ease of transport.
marnochs is online now Find More Posts by marnochs
Last edited by marnochs; Mar 23, 2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:04 AM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marnochs
Looks like the build is going great, I'm just finishing up on my KMP CL215 and maiden with be this weekend at the Visalia Float Fly. Powered by a pair of GreatPlanes Rimfire 42-60-600kv and 5-cell lipo's. Weight's going to be around 14lbs. Wing is two piece for ease of transport.
marnochs.

Here's wishing you the best on your maiden this weekend. You're plane looks great! Please post pics of your maiden.

Well I'll have to agree with Brad. The quality of this kit is amazing! The fit and finish is very good even with the slight color difference in the canopy as compared to the rest of the plane. I can't wait to get started bit I have a project on the table at this time to complete before I start.

I'm going to take a bit longer to get mine done for I'll add a few scale features to it which will require some paint touch up. I am also going to go down to the local autobody supply store and get a color match on the yellow and red and have the color codes available if you ever need to do some touch up. They will be a custom mix I am sure.

The paint will be of the acrylic enamel variety to keep costs down and I will give the formula to mix it if asked. FYI, I am a professional painter by trade. I've painted everything from bicycles and cars to motorcycles and Boeing jetliners.

Another thing you can also do for a paint color match if you don't mind using latex is to go down to your local Lowes and they will color match it for you on thier spectrometer. Then you'll be able to probably buy them in pints rather in quarts. Clear coat once dry and you should be good to go. Latex takes some time to dry so be cautious when clear coating. At least two weeks. There are a few threads posted regarding the subject of painting with latex so I won't rant on here.

Perry