HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2009, 04:23 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
751 Posts
Brad, Where in Orlando do you fly seaplanes? Man, I hope you don't fly in salt water!!

You could mount a lightweight foam wheel to the side of the fuse using a small machine screw and lock washer. Dip the screw in silicone or vaseline before attaching to fuse.
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2009, 04:30 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,672 Posts
All fresh water lakes here, lots of them!! If I do the scale gear I'm also going to mount a Robart plastic strut cover.
ScaleBrad is offline Find More Posts by ScaleBrad
Old Mar 20, 2009, 04:38 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleBrad
This plane really "pops" when you see it in person... I would definitely get one soon. If they ever go on closeout sale I'll pick up a spare. Yes, I am a plane hoarder

Good idea on the foam...I know the stuff you are talking about. I have a feeling this plane will be a nice docile flyer... Big square flat bottom wing, 1000 sq inches... and flaps..I am hoping to make this a quick build.. Starting on it tonight, I am going to shoot for next weekend completion. Usually I am over-optimistic about completion times. I am thinking about making some false landing gear as well for the fuse sides. Probably after the maiden once I see how low in the water it's gonna sit. I certainly won't be using the "fake" decal gear, as the plane is really too nice for that. I see on the full scale the gear does just hang out in the open.

Power system plans are 2x Power 46 outrunners, 3 blade props, and 2x 4S 6000mah, 5000mah or 3700 mah packs depending on the nose weight needed, 2x Castle Phoenix 60's, and Ultimate BEC, although I need to double check the servo capacity on the ones I have used. This power setup has been very well proven over hundreds of flights on various .40 electric conversions. I have all the batteries, motors, escs, etc on hand already. Standard servos all around too. Should give me around 700-800 watts per side, total 1600 watts for a 10-12 lb. plane
You da man Brad!!!

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Mar 20, 2009, 06:44 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,672 Posts
Looks like the 13x8 Master Airscrew will be it. And even better, it is also available in a pusher configuration..so I can run counter-rotating props!! That should make the plane handle real nice.

I ran a test on the Power 46, I've run them in many configurations but always on 2-bladed props.

My results today are:

E-flite Power 46 (670kv)
Castle 60 ESC
4S 5000mah Flightpower Evo 25
Master Airscrew 13x8 3-blade prop

Full Throttle:

13.6 volts
53 amps
720 watts
7750 RPM

That gives me a total around 1400 watts, 10-12 lb plane (I hope)
= 116 to 140 watts/pound

That should do it.
Last edited by ScaleBrad; Mar 20, 2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 07:00 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleBrad
Looks like the 13x8 Master Airscrew will be it. And even better, it is also available in a pusher configuration..so I can run counter-rotating props!! That should make the plane handle real nice.

I ran a test on the Power 46, I've run them in many configurations but always on 2-bladed props.

My results today are:

E-flite Power 46 (670kv)
Castle 60 ESC
4S 5000mah Flightpower Evo 25
Master Airscrew 13x8 3-blade prop

Full Throttle:

13.6 volts
53 amps
720 watts
7750 RPM

That gives me a total around 1400 watts, 10-12 lb plane (I hope)
= 116 to 140 watts/pound

That should do it.
Yep.

I knew the Power 46's would work. Now if Nitro can get their version back in stock.

Man you work fast!!

Perry
Old Mar 20, 2009, 07:07 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
731 Posts
I don't know if this is a silly question or not, but why not just use a normal Rx pack for the servos and receiver and not worry about the BEC? Seems to me it would definitely help with any potential nose weight issue. Just a thought.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Mar 20, 2009, 07:12 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Flyer
I don't know if this is a silly question or not, but why not just use a normal Rx pack for the servos and receiver and not worry about the BEC? Seems to me it would definitely help with any potential nose weight issue. Just a thought.
Sportflyer,
Thats exactly what I'll do but use a Duralite voltage converter to handle the the extra servos and volts from the lipolys. I have Duralites in two planes and they work great.

In fact I think you'll have no choice but to run and external pack since this plane has what....8 or 9 servos?

Perry
Old Mar 20, 2009, 07:27 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,672 Posts
Only 6 servos for the electric setup. The instructions call for 9 servos glow, but I only count 8.

2-ail
2-flaps
1-ele
1-rud with attached water rudder
+2 throttle (glow)

I prefer not to hassle with a separate rx pack/switch. It's another battery I have to charge, monitor, and check before each flight. NIMH especially, with false peaks, etc etc...

I have had very good luck with the "Ultimate BEC" from Koolflight. I will have to double check the amp limit though. I'll be running 2 4S packs in parallel so I'll have redundant power supply for the UBEC.

I'm not 100% decided, but I may go with a 2S lipo with voltage regulator if I decide against the UBEC.

I've seen this debated before, and the general argument was have there been more planes lost due to a faulty NiCD or NImh pack, or switch, or lack of proper maintenance/charging as opposed to a UBEC? I have run a UBEC on my .40 size planes (and seaplanes) over 300 flights with no trouble.

I don't think balancing this plane will be an issue, as I have lots of battery to move around if needed.

I also run a 2100mah 2-cell and UBEC for voltage regulation my 1.20 Decathlon (electric) and that has proved to be a good setup. That's probably what I'll do on this one considering my ESC's may be exposed to water splashes, the length of the wiring to the batteries, etc..
Last edited by ScaleBrad; Mar 20, 2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 07:31 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
751 Posts
Brad, Whew! At this rate you'll have the maiden by Sunday afternoon! Slow down man, I'm getting cold sweats!

Perry, I believe Raindentech has in stock the Extreme RC Motors you're looking for.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 07:32 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
Brad, Whew! At this rate you'll have the maiden by Sunday afternoon! Slow down man, I'm getting cold sweats!

Perry, I believe Raindentech has in stock the Extreme RC Motors you're looking for.
I'd have it done already if I didn't type so slow
Old Mar 20, 2009, 07:58 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
731 Posts
Perry, you might want to consider a comparable Turnigy from Hobbycity if the ones from Nitro don't come in any time soon.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...er_(Eq.4120/14)
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Mar 20, 2009, 09:41 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,672 Posts
Here's a big model flying, nice details..and it drops water too

BIG CL-215 (2 min 49 sec)
Old Mar 21, 2009, 02:30 AM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Flyer
Perry, you might want to consider a comparable Turnigy from Hobbycity if the ones from Nitro don't come in any time soon.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...er_(Eq.4120/14)
Perfect.

Thanks Sport Flyer!

Perry

OOPS!
Looks as if Nitro got them in stock now.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:37 AM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
Very nice kit realy!!!
The only negative on this kit is that it's only water plane. The original one is
amphibian and should have landing gear. Of course i understand that the company tried to keep the fuselage in one piece because the landing gear
would obviously cut the mold in two. That in return would weaken the overall fuselage and would make impossible the cosntruction of an one piece fuselage.
I wish i could set up mine as electric too but my plane is way heavier.
Only the scale landing gear system weights almost 1kgr and that makes the model heavier.

The model i'm building right now has retractable gear as well as water tanks and can carry almost a gallon of water.

http://www.aeromodelismos.gr/index.p...ic,1925.0.html
pappy69 is offline Find More Posts by pappy69
Old Mar 21, 2009, 07:15 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
751 Posts
Mr Aero Design Canadair CL-415 laser cut kit

Pappy, I see you have Martin Rousseau's kit also. (mr aero design) Beautiful kit! That's gonna make one hell of an airplane!