SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:32 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,417 Posts
[QUOTE=Flying By;23899078]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post

Yup, that's what I mean. Thanks again. I am sure I will have lots of questions as I start my build.

What did you use to mount the motor? I saw the PEX pipe/threaded rod set up earlier in the thread. Is the motor really that far away from the mounting wall?
It's approx. 3 3/8" from the fire wall to the end of the nacelle. I used 1/2" long standoffs on mine. I use nylon standoffs on my motors. They are about 1/2" diameter with hollow center and come in various lengths, most hardware stores carry them, I get mine at Ace Hardware. I just mount the supplied X mount to the motor and then use either 6-32 or 8-32 socket head cap screws to bolt it to blind nuts mounted in the firewall. I usually use fender washers between the nylon standoffs and the firewall to keep the standoffs from digging into the firewall.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:08 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
HM,
My friend who had one of these porpoised his in.
Have you had any porpoise problems? Any pointers for making smooth takeoffs?

(Two power 46's, 13x6.5 props and 5s 5000's.)
Thanks, Walter
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:53 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
HM,
My friend who had one of these porpoised his in.
Have you had any porpoise problems? Any pointers for making smooth takeoffs?

(Two power 46's, 13x6.5 props and 5s 5000's.)
Thanks, Walter
I haven't had any problems with porpoising at all Is it possible that he had his CG off and it was a little tail heavy? The correct CG for this plane is 75mm not the 90mm that's stated in the instructions.
On takeoff I just slowly bring up the power until it's up on plane and once it's reached flying speed a little up elevator and she's airborne.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:04 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
That might of been his problem. Thanks, Walter
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:56 PM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Mine arrived today. Was a bit too large to sneak past the wife (also had to try to sneak in a Dynam Catalina at the same time). The bolt kit bag had come open in the box so I hope that I managed to collect all the parts.
Flying By is offline Find More Posts by Flying By
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:37 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,417 Posts
This is one thing that I did and I'm not saying it has to be done, it's just my opinion. I took the nuts, bolts etc and threw them out. In the Chinese made kits I've found that the quality of the nuts, bolts etc. to be very hit and miss. Some are good while others I've had bolt heads snap off if you look at them sideways. I figure the cost to replace these accessories isn't that much especially when you consider what the cost would be should a critical one fail in flight.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:55 PM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
This is one thing that I did and I'm not saying it has to be done, it's just my opinion. I took the nuts, bolts etc and threw them out. In the Chinese made kits I've found that the quality of the nuts, bolts etc. to be very hit and miss. Some are good while others I've had bolt heads snap off if you look at them sideways. I figure the cost to replace these accessories isn't that much especially when you consider what the cost would be should a critical one fail in flight.
Not a bad idea. You are right that it wouldn't be much to replace the hardware. Just a matter of finding the right sized replacements - without a reference guide on what you are actually replacing. That would be the toughest part.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:32 PM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Servos

What power (kg per cm) of standard servo is recommended all around?

5 amp ubec enough to power them all?
Last edited by Flying By; Jan 27, 2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:43 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying By View Post
What power (kg per cm) of standard servo is recommended all around?

5 amp ubec enough to power them all?
A 5 amp BEC will be more than enough. I use the Dimension Engineering Sport BEC on mine and it is only 3.5 amp. http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/sportbec. I like it because it allows you to operate your servos at 6 volts if they are capable of it.
I run Hitec HS 645MG servos on my plane. They are rated at 106 oz of torque @ 4.8 volts and 133 oz. of torque @ 6 volt. I think you could do just fine with the Hitec HS 485HB (or something similar), they are rated at 66.6 oz. torque @ 4.8volts and 83.3 oz. torque @ 6 volts.
I would highly recommend using a metal gear servo in the rudder as it's taking a lot of abuse with the water rudder.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:53 AM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Top speed

I am doing a few calculations and need the approximate top speed of the plane. Anyone have any ideas?

Will be running 11x7x3 props on 5s batteries with 46 size 670kv motors.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:29 PM
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
1,859 Posts
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, never mind
scale_only is offline Find More Posts by scale_only
Last edited by scale_only; Feb 17, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:57 PM
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
5s vs 6s
Flying By why did you go with 5s??? Just curious?

I had to put my build on hold due to other projects and now im back at it and ill be ordering motors today and im going with 60 size, 50mm dia, in the range of 500-700kv. Whats the main benefit of KV at this point if anything? I plan on using 11x6x3 or 12x6x3 props for a mix of scale size and effeciency.
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:57 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL13 View Post
5s vs 6s

I had to put my build on hold due to other projects and now im back at it and ill be ordering motors today and im going with 60 size, 50mm dia, in the range of 500-700kv. Whats the main benefit of KV at this point if anything? I plan on using 11x6x3 or 12x6x3 props for a mix of scale size and effeciency.
The KV has to do with your prop speed. KV x Volts = RPM
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:44 PM
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
I know what KVs are, just wondering if ill see a difference in that range. Like maybe a bit more top speed at 700kv??
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:20 PM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL13 View Post
5s vs 6s

When I did the calculations, 5S with 11x7x3 blades with 670kv motor I will get the thrust I want/need with good flying times on 2 5000mah 5S packs.

I could have gone with a lower KV motor and 6S but I didn't find a motor that was in the price range and KV range that I wanted.

Additionally, I have an EDF that I can use the 5S batteries in...and it wouldn't take 6S.