HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:44 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,403 Posts
I'm using standard servos with no problem. The kit comes with covers to protect the servos from spray.
If you look back several posts I posted a picture of my canopy attachment using magnets
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Hi all,

That's my first seaplane and waterproofing is my main concern. Since I'll fly this plane over seawater and as I need to keep it as dry as I can could you please provide any ideas on the following?

Has anybody any proposal for a seal fit of the cockpit canopy?

Moroever any ideas for sealing of the main wing saddle fitting area?

If I won't do anything on the water rudder shaft seal located at the aft of the fuselage is any hazard of water leakage inside the fuselage?

I'll use Hitec waterproof servos but I'm missing the servo covers included into the ARF kit, is any problem with the servos functionality without the covers? Of course I'll try to remove all of the salt water after flying but I'm still concerned about this issue.

Finally, as I'm going to use two Saito's 72, any ideas of properly trimming the engine cowls without cutting the entire bottom part of these nacelles?

Thanks
Giannis
GiannisFly is offline Find More Posts by GiannisFly
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,403 Posts
I'm using the 1/4" wide self adhesive weather strip foam to seal around the cockpit and wing saddle.
You shouldn't have any issues with the water rudder shaft, just make sure that it is sealed on the bottom. It's possible that you will have corrosion issues over time.
There shouldn't be any problem with the function of the servos without the covers, the thing I'd be concerned about would be the water getting into the servo mounting area and into the wood. If you can't cover the servos, at a very minimum I'd seal the wood in the area the servos are mounted in.
Can't comment on the nacelles as I'm running electric.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:35 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
815 Posts
Giannis:
Did you mean to say you are going to be landing in salt water??

Fresh water is pretty forgiving on engines if they are dry at the end of the day. Electronics generally can be corrosion X dipped, and they work very well.

Salt water will quickly destroy your very expensive Saitos. Because there is no way to protect them from all spray, they will eventually eat a little salt, then the bearings will go, then the rest. You might try cheap non ball bearing 2 stroke motors and just plan on throwing them away when they start to corrode.

You will need to protect all electronics, I haven't used corrosion x with salt water, but that's probably your best bet.

Good luck, If you find something that works, let us know.
Ken
lupy is offline Find More Posts by lupy
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:44 AM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Thanks very much for your valuable comments,

Indeed I'll land it on seawater and the current plan is to waterproof all electronics using balloons and "plasti dip" spray over the servo mountings, penetrations of wires to the servo cases for increased safety and for protecting the servos' seals from corrosion.

Regarding the canopy and the wing saddle water sealing, wouldn't the foam material absorb some water therefore squizzing it into the fusealge?

Ken although our fuels are not intended for marine use what do you think of operating the engines' needle valves in rich setting for keeping the Saitos flying with increased lubricity? And for post flying maintenance I promise to clean them thoroughly

Thanks again
Giannis
GiannisFly is offline Find More Posts by GiannisFly
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:20 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiannisFly View Post

Regarding the canopy and the wing saddle water sealing, wouldn't the foam material absorb some water therefore squizzing it into the fusealge?
I suppose that the foam will absorb some water but then again it's not like the it's submerged in the water, it's just protecting it against the spray that the props might kick up. It's the lesser of 2 evils, better than nothing at all.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:48 AM
Canada, NL, Conception Bay South
Joined Jun 2012
55 Posts
Would this motor be large enough running on 5S and swinging a 13x8E prop?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0KV_1295W.html
Newfie Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Newfie Pilot
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:27 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Pilot View Post
Would this motor be large enough running on 5S and swinging a 13x8E prop?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0KV_1295W.html
It should be large enough. The big question is, are they a dependable engine. I have numerous twins and I don't use an engine just because it's inexpensive. The motor is one place I will not cheap out on. I want a quality motor on any twin, it's worth the extra $$$. Just keep this in mind, you lose a motor on this plane and chances are you are going to lose the plane.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:04 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,137 Posts
motors

I'm running two eRC40 motors from Hobby Lobby and my CL-415 flys nicely at half power and has plenty more left for takeoff. I use a 5000mAh LiPol 4S pack and 12x6 3-blade Master Airscrew props. The motor is reasonably priced, is good quality, and comes with a guarantee. However, I've also used Turnigy motors on several other planes and never have a failure but I like the idea of dealing with a US company if I do have a problem
parkcityskier is offline Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:49 PM
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
628 Posts
Just ordered my kit and cannot wait to see this beauty in person. I have been eyeing it up for some time now and finally pulled the trigger. I have read the entire thread through for info and will be quite ready for the build. Question to all you that have built it successfully and gone through the trails of what works and what doesnt........4s, 5s or 6s? Ive read 4s works and some are using 6s. I read that its a scale flyer so is 6s even necessary??? or is that just the guys who like to have a big engine under the hood just for the sake of it?? same sort of realted question for the motors, 46 or 60 size motor? Effeciency has me most concerned about flying this awesome plane but I still want a 3 or 4 blade for scale. 10 mins of scale flying would be ideal. Thoughts????
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:27 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,403 Posts
I fly mine with 2 6s - 5000 in parallel. I'm using Hacker A50-12 for motors which would be similar to a 60. The reason for these is I run a 13X12 4 blade prop. Take offs are at 1/2 throttle and I usually cruse around scale like at a little below 1/2 throttle and get an easy 10 minute flight and could push it to 15 if I wanted. My batteries are in the nose, by doing so I didn't have to add any dead weight for balance.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:29 AM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
815 Posts
Pick your props of choice and then work from there. There are not that many scale props, so that will probably be your most limiting item. A lot of people end up buying way more motor than they really need, esp for a scale project like this. Do you have anything laying around like batteries or motors?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
628 Posts
I've got batteries lying around but likely won't use those BUT I will be using the same cell count, 2s and 3s in series since my other rcs take those. So it comes down to 4s vs 6s for me....which is more practical and keeps the cost down.

Good advice on the props.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:35 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
815 Posts
well, 6s will keep the amps down, but you will need a separate battery or ESC unless you are using a higher end esc. I had a turnigy plush catch fire on 6x, just putting around, so I expect it was the switching ESC part. I like the eflight .32 with a APC 12X6 on 4 cells, runs about 42 A. and pulls about 75oz static. HK sells a 4x5000 20C in the USA warehouse for around $24 + shipp. It's a hard case pack, but I have just been stripping the cover off to save an extra oz or so. You could use two of them in parallel. The Eflight feels like it would take a little more prop, but if you are going much bigger then you should proabaly go with a lower KVA or a slightly bigger motor.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Jan 2011
628 Posts
Recieved the plane last night, it came double boxed and in very good shape. The wing coverings have wrinkles so ill have to invest in a iron and heat gun to get those out. Its got a few paint issues here and there that I will have to fix (canopy and minor areas), but other than that its a thing of beauty and its A LOT bigger in person than I thought it would be. The fuse is gigantic! I snapped a pic of a comparison to the guan li model, its not even close! LOL