Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggk View Post
WOW i may have made a mistake on my power choice I was planing on around 12-13lbs. Its the KMP 215 but i assume its the same. I have bought the Hacker A40-10S with ICE 75s spinning 3blade 13x8 hoping to get about 950Watts from each motors on 4S. Might have to reevaluate... I like to have more then enough power for water flying.
I'm running Hacker A50-16L with Hacker X110 Opto Pro ESCs spinning 15.5X12 4 bladed props. With this set up it has insane power. I use half throttle for take off, any more and it's almost uncontrollable due to the torque. I don't fly over half throttle either. I have a telemetry module for airspeed and it'll cruise at 52mph at half throttle which is fine for me as I like to fly scale planes in a scale manner. I am going to cut the props down to 13X12 because as they are now, the tips are about an inch off the water and when I power up it creates all sorts of spray, and the power I'll lose from cutting them down won't even be noticed.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:17 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Lookin' Good HM!
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:09 AM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,450 Posts
I have the KMP CL-215 which I have modified by changing the flaps to scale size and also added a few more ounces with extra electronics, bringing the all up, ready to fly, weight to just under 14 pounds. I'm using two eRC 40 motors from Hobby Lobby with APC 12x6 three blade props. I'm using a single 5000 mAh 4S LiPo for power. Each motor pulls 800 Watts with the 12x6 props. With a 13x8 prop they each pull 1000+ Watts but I was afraid of over overheating the motors so I stayed with the 12x6s. The airplane leaps off the water at half throttle and I rarely use much more than that during flight. I'm good for at least 10 minutes of flight, with good throttle management. I fly at a lake altitude of 6200'. By the way, the flap modification was well worth any extra weight that it added.
parkcityskier is offline Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:17 AM
Joined Dec 2007
410 Posts
That helps thanks. What is the flap mod you did?
greggk is offline Find More Posts by greggk
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:21 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,450 Posts
Quote:
That helps thanks. What is the flap mod you did?
Go to: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=fowler+flap

You will note on this flap thread that I was using different motors than I specified in my previous post. I needed these motors for another project because they are very heavy and I needed the weight for proper CG on that project. The eRC motors are lighter and still do the job.
Last edited by parkcityskier; Jul 08, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Dec 2007
410 Posts
How did you guys do the cockpit/canopy attachment?
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:51 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,413 Posts
Quote:
How did you guys do the cockpit/canopy attachment?
I used magnets to attach mine as I wanted it removable for battery access. I figured pictures would describe it better than I could.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:21 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier View Post
Go to: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=fowler+flap

You will note on this flap thread that I was using different motors than I specified in my previous post. I needed these motors for another project because they are very heavy and I needed the weight for proper CG on that project. The eRC motors are lighter and still do the job.
Parkcityskier, I like the flap mod you did. They look almost like the ones on the MR Aerodesign kit which of course are designed like the full scale. You did a really good job on them. I might have to do the mod to mine as I love playing around with flaps, especially with an aircraft like this one.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:35 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,413 Posts
Stall characteristics

I'm setting up a stall alarm for my CL-415 and would like to know how the plane reacts when it stalls so I know what to expect when I take mine up and stall it. Is there any subtle warning prior to the stall, and does it drop the nose or drop a wing?. If it drops a wing, is it fairly gentle or is it violent?
I'm mostly interested in a straight ahead stall, not a banked turning stall.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:41 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
When I stalled mine it rolled over and dove straight in from about 100 feet. Nasty nasty stall.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:21 AM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,450 Posts
I stalled mine when it was inverted, while I was doing a roll. It tumbled end over end for about two revolutions and then recovered. I had lots of altitude so the airplane was saved and made a normal landing. It was my fault, during the roll, applying too much down elevator to hold the nose up while it was roliing inverted. Pretty spectacular, but I won't do it again. I've never tried to stall it on purpose.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier View Post
I stalled mine when it was inverted, while I was doing a roll. It tumbled end over end for about two revolutions and then recovered. I had lots of altitude so the airplane was saved and made a normal landing. It was my fault, during the roll, applying too much down elevator to hold the nose up while it was roliing inverted. Pretty spectacular, but I won't do it again. I've never tried to stall it on purpose.
That'll certainly get the heart rate up a bit. I usually like to find out what speed a new aircraft stalls at and how it reacts afterwards. I usually attempt it on the 2nd or 3rd flight. Good info to know so you don't get caught by surprise at an altitude that is unrecoverable from. I've found that most aircraft will recover from a stall on their own, given they have enough altitude, as long as you leave the elevator alone. The worst thing to do, and I was guilty of it myself, is to give it up elevator. That will just keep stalling the aircraft all the way to the ground.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:10 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,450 Posts
Good advice on stall testing. I usually do this on my other planes but with this plane at almost 14 pounds I decided that just taking it to an approach to stall was enough. When the wings start rocking and I feel that it is going to fall out of the sky I add power and let it go at that.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,413 Posts
Nothing wrong with that, at least you know the signs that it's about to stall. That is what I was wanting to find out, if it gave any indication that it was about to stall or not . I have one plane that gives no indication that it's approaching a stall, I'll be slowing down and wham, it does a violent snap over on it's back and starts spiraling down.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Dec 2007
410 Posts
Has anyone tried the Hitec waterproof servos on the tail? Also, is the spray really bad on the tail servos? I concerned about putting a good quality servo on the elevator but there really is no way to put it in the fuse with a ling push-rod...

Any ingenious way of attaching the canopy/cockpit, magnets, hatch clips, build wood frame, etc?

I saw someone used 2 pilots , it looked great. Remember what scale they were?

Thanks all.