SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:54 PM
France, PACA, Peille
Joined Sep 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJon View Post
I attempted my second maiden yesterday. It was a complete success and it flies great with the O.S. 70fs engines not to mention the sound. We were all impressed with how steady it flies and when using flaps with a little down elevator, it does not change attitude a bit.
Hi GIJon,

do you have enough power to take off with these O.S 70fs ?

I finally ordered mine ...I would like to go with 4 stroke nitro engines.

Anyone else fit this CL-415 with nitro engines ? Only electrics ?
Pascal06 is offline Find More Posts by Pascal06
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Sep 2003
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal06 View Post
Hi GIJon,

do you have enough power to take off with these O.S 70fs ?

I finally ordered mine ...I would like to go with 4 stroke nitro engines.

Anyone else fit this CL-415 with nitro engines ? Only electrics ?
Hi Pascal06,

The OS 70FS engines provide more than enough power. Take off is no issue at all. It flies quite nicely and steady as a rock.
GIJon is offline Find More Posts by GIJon
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:03 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
I finally got my CL-415 back together after its crash a few years back. Hope to remaiden soon. I'm also working on making scale retracts for it. So for I have the geometry worked out, now need to just mount everything.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
continuing work on the retracts. Nose gear is installed and I made up a waterproof compartment because the gear doors aren't water tight. Main gears are in the works, had to do a redesign. These will also have waterproof compartments as it might get some water sprayed in.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:12 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,421 Posts
any pictures?
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:17 PM
France, PACA, Peille
Joined Sep 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJon View Post
Hi Pascal06,

The OS 70FS engines provide more than enough power. Take off is no issue at all. It flies quite nicely and steady as a rock.
Thanks GIJon !

I would like to install a water bombing system like the one made by MR Aerodesign, we will see....

No retracts on mine, only seaplane !
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:09 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal06 View Post
Thanks GIJon !

I would like to install a water bombing system like the one made by MR Aerodesign, we will see....

No retracts on mine, only seaplane !
The water tank that MR Aerodesign is well worth the $150. Martin did a great job at designing it and it works very similar to the full size plane.
I had considered building a water tank for mine, ended up buying the CL-415 kit, water tank, and retracts. After building the tank I know that I couldn't have come close to building one as nice as the kit.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 06:51 AM
France, PACA, Peille
Joined Sep 2011
54 Posts
The problem is that the MR Aerodesign system doesn't fit in this plane : it's too wide and the bottom of the hull is different !

So I will try to make one myself...sure it will be not so nice as the Martin's system !
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
any pictures?
I had to strengthen the gears so once that's done I'll post some pictures. A lot more metal than I originally intended
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:17 PM
United States, NY, Putnam
Joined Jul 2007
98 Posts
Hey guys I just pulled the trigger on one, will most likely go electric (6s), and wondered if anyone has installed a cam or even fpv gear? Might be a cool platform for it. Any advice is appreciated!
morgusmax is offline Find More Posts by morgusmax
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:14 AM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
I will be attaching a contour to the tail next time I fly it. FPV would be sweet, but this plane is best when you can see it from the outside. For FPV a cheaper smaller plane would suit the job better.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,421 Posts
I maidened my CL-415 earlier this year flying it off snow but only got the one flight in. I finally got to fly it off water for the first time today. Flew great and I tried the flaps for the first time today. I have an airspeed telemetry in it and was cruising around at 1/2 throttle at 52mph and with full flaps had it down to 30mph in level flight and it will go even slower. Had one landing where I started the approach at a high altitude, I applied full flaps and pointed the nose down at about 70 degrees and dove for the lake, pulled out at near the bottom and set her right down on the lake. The flaps really helped preventing any speed build up despite the steep descent. What a fun plane to fly.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Dec 2007
410 Posts
Whats the final weight you guys are getting?
greggk is offline Find More Posts by greggk
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:26 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,421 Posts
Mine came in at 18.5# with batteries installed. I have mine set up a little different than most so that added extra weight so 16# is about the average I'd say. The 9-10# that the instructions claim is a joke, the airframe alone with nothing installed probably weighs that much.

Here's a few pics from my flight the other day. Going to cut the props down before next flight as I'm getting way too much water spray from them
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Dec 2007
410 Posts
WOW i may have made a mistake on my power choice I was planing on around 12-13lbs. Its the KMP 215 but i assume its the same. I have bought the Hacker A40-10S with ICE 75s spinning 3blade 13x8 hoping to get about 950Watts from each motors on 4S. Might have to reevaluate... I like to have more then enough power for water flying.
greggk is offline Find More Posts by greggk