SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Oct 2011
41 Posts
Mainjet, there is a site on one of the discussion group (somewhere) that a guy had made one of these devices...I was interested because where we float fly it is difficult to launch and retrieve planes without stepping in about two feet of muck...His device let you place your airplane on the "craddle" and advance the throttle so the plane heads out into the pond, upon returning the plane is IDLED into the "cradle" and then you would advance the throttle slowly, the planes then rolls up the "tubes" there you have it...No mess. NO MUCK...Thanks...Kevin in Denver and it is cold here today...
KDube is offline Find More Posts by KDube
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:25 PM
springfield, missouri
Joined Jan 2008
150 Posts
Kevin

ok I see. Let me know if you find the link I would like to check it out.
mainjet is offline Find More Posts by mainjet
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:12 AM
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
Hello,
I am new to the hobby but fell in love with this plane. I received the ARF kit this week and now need to get everything else but the remote (DX8) and the batteries (6S 5000mAh). Could one of you who is satisfied with the setup recommend a list of what to get for receiver, ESC, BEC, motor, propellers, servos, servo extensions, etc.?
Your help will be very much appreciated.
flightrisk is offline Find More Posts by flightrisk
Last edited by flightrisk; Feb 26, 2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:47 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
824 Posts
How much stick time do you have? I don't mean to be critical, but I wouldn't dream of flying one of these as a first or even second plane.

Edit: looks like you shouldn't have a problem. didn't want to clutter thread with an extra post. Have fun, try to keep it light.
lupy is offline Find More Posts by lupy
Last edited by lupy; Feb 27, 2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: answer below
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:06 AM
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
Hy Lupi,

I actually flew gliders as a kid, and since I got back to it, I have been flying both airplanes and helicopters without too much damage:
- Airplanes: Alpha 450 3D, Icon A5, Stryker F27Q, Radian Pro
- Helicopters: Blade mQX, Blade mCP X, Blade 450 3D
I am not keeping count but maybe a total of 10 hours fixed wing and 40 hours helicopters in the last couple of months.
The part I need the most help with and that is new to me is putting together an ARF and selecting all the right parts. I just want to do everything I can to not mess up this beauty.
Thank you for your help.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:40 AM
springfield, missouri
Joined Jan 2008
150 Posts
flightrisk

It depends on what you are going for, high performance ? scale ? economy ? high end components ? are you going to fly off off water or land ? what level builder are you ? what components do you already have that you may be able to use ? all these things I consider before starting a build. Also I read thru as much info as I can find on similar builds of others who have had good results. My opinion is take your time and dont hesitate to ask questions if you are not certain about something.

mainjet
mainjet is offline Find More Posts by mainjet
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:04 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,360 Posts
Flightrisk, you're planning on using a 6s 5000 pack for this model?!
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:34 AM
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
Hello all,

Yes i am planning 2 parallel 6S 5000mAh batteries for motors and 1 2S for receiver servos. Based on my reading of this thread, others have done that as well with success.

To answer the other questions:
- water only
- decent performance but realistic scale flight
- good value for money components (reliability will be important)

At this point I am thinking Castle for ESC and BEC, Turnigy for motors, couter-rotating 3 blade props, motor based rudder (no water rudder). Still need to figure out receiver (will most likely be Spektrum, but how many channels do I need? 8? 9?) and servos (quantity, size, specs).
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:27 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightrisk View Post
Hello all,

Yes i am planning 2 parallel 6S 5000mAh batteries for motors and 1 2S for receiver servos. Based on my reading of this thread, others have done that as well with success.

To answer the other questions:
- water only
- decent performance but realistic scale flight
- good value for money components (reliability will be important)

At this point I am thinking Castle for ESC and BEC, Turnigy for motors, couter-rotating 3 blade props, motor based rudder (no water rudder). Still need to figure out receiver (will most likely be Spektrum, but how many channels do I need? 8? 9?) and servos (quantity, size, specs).
I'm using a 6 channel receiver on mine, the AR6210. I have Hitec 485 servos on everything but the elevator. I'm running Hitec 645MG on the elevator.
There's really no need to run counter rotating props, the full size doesn't have them.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
41 Posts
Hey there all, does anyone have concerns about this plane becoming a swamped canoe and sinking...What about putting in some foam to at least help...Any thoughts..Also, concerning the canopy, how would one go about making this an EASIER acess point....Kevin in Denver
KDube is offline Find More Posts by KDube
Old May 14, 2012, 02:02 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
My friend maidened his today! Just some elevator trim was needed.
Power 46's with 13x6.5 props on 5s.
The phone wasn't up to the in flight pics. I'll see if I can get some later.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old May 15, 2012, 06:33 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
More Pics.
Old May 17, 2012, 04:25 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
The pics you did get are impressive. Very nice airplane!

You've got the the wingtips switched left to right.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old May 18, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Sep 2003
64 Posts
Second Maiden Attempt

I attempted my second maiden yesterday. It was a complete success and it flies great with the O.S. 70fs engines not to mention the sound. We were all impressed with how steady it flies and when using flaps with a little down elevator, it does not change attitude a bit.
GIJon is offline Find More Posts by GIJon
Old May 22, 2012, 07:39 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejen View Post
The pics you did get are impressive. Very nice airplane!

You've got the the wingtips switched left to right.
Thanks, I'll let him know.