HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2009, 03:35 AM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Just stumbled upon something all you CL-415 fans might be interested in.

A few years ago when I bought my 415 kit, I wanted more info for detailing the plane.

If you write to Bombardier/Canadair, they will send you a press kit. BUT, you must write to them. No emails. You can get the address from their website. Look up customer relations and direct your inquiry to that department.

I hope they are still available. My kit was dated 2003.

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2009, 06:54 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
864 Posts
Perry, Don't sell that MR kit. Save it for a rainy day/winter. With that kit you can even add a water scoop/drop gizmo as an option!
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Mar 18, 2009, 07:00 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
864 Posts
ScaleBrad, OK I think I'm getting ready/closer to the purchase point. Please PM me on how to get that free shipping.

Oh Brother I also just tracked down an original Mariner NIB that I'm gonna get as mine has over 200 flights on it and is starting to look quite ragged.

On another note. Every size of the Extreme RC Monster Motors over at Nitroplanes are all sold out!! Looks like everyone jumped on them whilst they could. Any ideas when they restock?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:02 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
Perry, Don't sell that MR kit. Save it for a rainy day/winter. With that kit you can even add a water scoop/drop gizmo as an option!

Freddy,

You're right! I completely forgot about it! I'm keepin her.......for now.

I inquired about the availability of when the motors will be available from Nitroplanes and they told me about a month. That was three weeks ago.

I'm in no hurry to build my 415 so I have time to wait. But when the motors come back, I'll get a pair. You'll LOVE 'em!

Perry
Old Mar 19, 2009, 04:17 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Enjoy!

CL-415
Old Mar 19, 2009, 07:10 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
864 Posts
Nitroplanes Canadair CL-415

Went over to Common Sense RC to get some advice on motor, ESC and battery set up and they had a concern, possibly a problem for outrunners. Looking at the pictures of the motor mounts / nacelle framework and the covers these slide into, there might not be enough clearance for outrunner motors in which case brushless inrunners would be the next choice. Anyone have any opinions?

Then again one could go with glow engines which is how the plane was designed. But running electric is so much easier when dealing with twin engine planes, no synchronization issue, no one engine out issue. Hmmmn.

www.nitroplanes.com/cacltw0en80n.html
Old Mar 19, 2009, 07:14 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
Went over to Common Sense RC to get some advice on motor, ESC and battery set up and they had a concern, possibly a problem for outrunners. Looking at the pictures of the motor mounts / nacelle framework and the covers these slide into, there might not be enough clearance for outrunner motors in which case brushless inrunners would be the next choice. Anyone have any opinions?

Then again one could go with glow engines which is how the plane was designed. But running electric is so much easier when dealing with twin engine planes, no synchronization issue, no one engine out issue. Hmmmn.

www.nitroplanes.com/cacltw0en80n.html
Could always go with the brushed Astro 05 with the 3:1 gearboxes like 747drvr did on his scratchbuilt 415 about 7 years ago. It was so powerful that it would takeoff on the grass no problem. I've got the video of it. I'll see if I can contact him and gain some more info.....

Perry
Old Mar 19, 2009, 07:49 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
733 Posts
Subscribed. Can't wait to find out how one of these kits flies as I love these planes.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:30 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,702 Posts
I'll be measuring both prop clearance and nacelle clearance tomorrow when my kit arrives. I'll keep you guys posted. How about the picture of the "fiberglass floats"
ScaleBrad is offline Find More Posts by ScaleBrad
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:01 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleBrad
How about the picture of the "fiberglass floats"
Do those go on the top or the bottom of the wings?

Perry
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:08 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,702 Posts
Almost here
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:27 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Mine just left LAX.

Should be here by the 23rd. I'm sure you'll finish yours first Brad. I've got two projects to get out of the way before I even get to mine. But that's okay. I'll let you work out the bugs first.

Perry
Old Mar 20, 2009, 03:51 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
864 Posts
Nitroplanes Canadair CL-415

Brad, Man you are fast and way to go with the photos!! What can I say? That's it for me, I'm ordering mine tonight before they're all gone.

Idea: To fill the tip floats with foam how about using spray foam in a can, the type you use to help weatherize a home by filling voids / cracks in residential walls, window and door frames, etc.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 04:09 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,702 Posts
This plane really "pops" when you see it in person... I would definitely get one soon. If they ever go on closeout sale I'll pick up a spare. Yes, I am a plane hoarder

Good idea on the foam...I know the stuff you are talking about. I have a feeling this plane will be a nice docile flyer... Big square flat bottom wing, 1000 sq inches... and flaps..I am hoping to make this a quick build.. Starting on it tonight, I am going to shoot for next weekend completion. Usually I am over-optimistic about completion times. I am thinking about making some false landing gear as well for the fuse sides. Probably after the maiden once I see how low in the water it's gonna sit. I certainly won't be using the "fake" decal gear, as the plane is really too nice for that. I see on the full scale the gear does just hang out in the open.

Power system plans are 2x Power 46 outrunners, 3 blade props, and 2x 4S 6000mah, 5000mah or 3700 mah packs depending on the nose weight needed, 2x Castle Phoenix 60's, and Ultimate BEC, although I need to double check the servo capacity on the ones I have used. This power setup has been very well proven over hundreds of flights on various .40 electric conversions. I have all the batteries, motors, escs, etc on hand already. Standard servos all around too. Should give me around 700-800 watts per side, total 1600 watts for a 10-12 lb. plane