HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2009, 06:56 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
I presume you flew after the storm blew through... because it was windy as heck the rest of the day. Congrats on the maiden... can't wait to see it in the flesh.
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:38 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
lol we actually didnt get the storm, but ya it was about 730 and NO wind.

Flew again in prolly 15 mph wind, handles pretty good, but you can def see how much the wind slows it down and speeds it up on up/down wind legs. really need to have the power on during landing..
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:43 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
where are you guys balancing the plane? something just doesnt seem right with my plane..
Old Aug 12, 2009, 09:54 AM
Canyon Country, California
Joined Dec 2006
96 Posts
I originally balanced mine at the 90mm indicated in the directions. Found there was alot of down elevator trim for level flight(tail heavy) and plane was a little pitch sensivity. this was most apparent just after takeoff, it would pitch down

I ended up adding about 4oz more nose weight and it flys just fine now, still just alittle down trim in the elevator but the pitch sensivity is gone. Haven't checked to see where the balance point is yet

Scott
marnochs is offline Find More Posts by marnochs
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:17 AM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
ok cool, if you get a chance to check your balance point, lemme know. I have mine probably at 85mm or so.

I know you were working on drop tanks, do you have pictures of that? How has it worked out so far?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:43 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
Found a great link showing close-up details of the pick up probes and bomb bay doors:

http://www.oognok.ca/415/415.shtml
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Aug 12, 2009, 03:56 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
lol thanks, that scoop is way smaller than I thought.

edit: figured out why one wing would always drop. The elevator halves arent exactly lined up. I had bent the joiner wire a little off and tried to correct it. Guess I didnt do a good enough job. Also found out that coordinating the turns better really helps.
Last edited by ashdec87; Aug 13, 2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 02:32 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
G Day from down under , I just 'found' this thread , I WILL be getting this.....
I just quickly scanned this forum , mostly the pictures , and say that the model boat guys here found that nearly any sort of expanding foam squirted into boats for floatation purposes would actually soak up water like a sponge , IF the water found its way in....some found their boats getting VERY heavy , apparently you need a 'closed cell foam'...most just used pin-pong balls to stop their boat sinking if they hit something at speed....like another boat
Anyway , one of the shops here has advertised the 415 as a 'World Models' brand , not cheep at $500 ozzie dolls . I have already weakened...

Ian
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Aug 16, 2009, 07:46 AM
Pyrmont, Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2000
260 Posts
Ian, which Ozzie Hobby shop was this advertised in? I'm a sitting duck!

Had a very successful day on a yacht with a Seawind. Can you believe, nothing went wrong!?
Tooly is offline Find More Posts by Tooly
Old Aug 16, 2009, 07:50 AM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
I find that difficult to believe , Chief.......

Roj , its on his web site , and he answered me that its not World Models

Ian
Old Aug 16, 2009, 05:26 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Tooly , as HHQ at Kirrawee , is the importer/wholesaler , why dont you contact them , if they wont sell you one direct , they will tell you who in Sydney you could get one thru
ask for George
Ian
Old Aug 16, 2009, 05:32 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
The engine nacelles are way too big , been stretched for the fuel tanks , I will be sectioning them down to "scale" size......I already have two E-flite power 46 outrunners and have just ordered 3 blade Master props (one pusher) from H/City plus collett 'spinners' for 6mm shafts

Ian
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:58 AM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Got mine today and my friend got one as well , a bit dissapointed with the quality as well as a crease in the side of the cockpit moulding , definatly been ripped off , at $500 Oz dollars , the importers are getting fat in this country....
Anyway will get to it soon , just for others , to set up a twin , both motors feed off the battery in the fuse , connect the main battery to the speedies which are near, and then run 3 long wires to the motors , twisted and sheathed in the new expanding sheating from H City
the bec if you want to use one is off one speedy , the other is disabled
I will be using a seperate 5 cell battery pack to run the radio
dont use expanding foam in the plane anywhere , it soaks up water , the silicone gasket is the way to go
Do treat your radio, speedy, servos , with the RED Corrosion X (i got a friend in the states to send me some)
Aileron differential , coupled rudder-ailerons and flap-elevator mix , is on the cards and might try rudder-motor mix for taxi-ing....
I hope this is of some help to you
Ian
Old Aug 24, 2009, 06:37 AM
Pyrmont, Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2000
260 Posts
So how about a working water scoop and dump? Can it be done?
Tooly is offline Find More Posts by Tooly
Old Aug 24, 2009, 09:26 AM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Ya i'm pretty sure it wouldnt be too hard. I eventually would like to put it in mine...