HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2009, 02:44 PM
Joined May 2008
1,506 Posts
The threat of an imperfect leading edge didn't slow me down one bit! LOL I've never assembled any ARF or kit for that matter without making some changes to suit me.. IMO they all require minor tweaks here and there. I'm getting really excited about this one. Suggestions for a motor would be appreciated. I plan on using 5S 5000's as I have a number of them.
Knotnuts is offline Find More Posts by Knotnuts
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:44 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,598 Posts
Hi Feathermerchant....

Oh...I already bought it, and am slowly acquiring the rest of the parts. I bought the Hyperion ZS4025-16 motor, and am amazed at its quality and especially the price. I'm used to buying AXI motors at twice (or more) the price. Even E-flite motors are more expensive than the Hyperion.

I was just curious, if the square edges make it fly better (I have heard that square edges do) or did the manufacturer just decide to skip a step to save money.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Nov 29, 2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:50 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
I have read that about square edges too. If so them yes to both questions as it does save time.
As far as the motor goes the 14 turn Hyperion should be fine on 5S. You may have to experiment with props. 17X10? or so. Dave can probably help out here.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:48 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,598 Posts
Hi Feathermerchant....

I was planning on going 6S with this plane, from reading posting on both thread about this plane, 6S and this motor is the way to go (at least I hope so, 'cuz thats what I bought.)

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 17, 2009, 07:21 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
It certainly works for me. I'm sure it could be flown on 5S though.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 07:30 PM
All electric, all the time!
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep
Hi Feathermerchant....

I was planning on going 6S with this plane, from reading posting on both thread about this plane, 6S and this motor is the way to go (at least I hope so, 'cuz thats what I bought.)

SteveT
Yes with the 16 turn motor 6S is recommended. If you have the 14 turn you can go either way.
QuietRCFly is offline Find More Posts by QuietRCFly
Old Jul 17, 2009, 07:33 PM
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
FYI for those interested:

We now have the ZS4025 16 turn motor and a variety of the new G3 batteries in both 6S and 5S, as well as the right selection of props for this plane. Oh we have only one of the planes left an the moment, but should get more or we can have it drop-shipped if needed by the distributor.

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
Old Jul 19, 2009, 12:03 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
I looked at the tail surfaces of mine as I packed it into the car tonite and the LE's are rounded, the TE's are square.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 08:11 AM
Joined May 2008
1,506 Posts
Mine came yesterday! The leading edges are rounded on the stab and rudder on mine as well. What a beautiful kit! I could not find a single wrinkle in the covering. The cowl is certainly a work of art! The quality reminded me a great deal of a 3DHS kit. And that's a BIG complement! Chris (quietfly) does the 14 turn motor have a collet adapter or a bolt-on??
Knotnuts is offline Find More Posts by Knotnuts
Last edited by Knotnuts; Jul 19, 2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:16 PM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
zs4025-16

I tried zs4025-16, G3 VX 4200mAh 6S. APC 17x10e is certainly a starting point. Max amp is only 47-48A, 1,150W input or so. I will try 18x10e which gives 56A/1,300W input on calculation.

With this prop, I can enjoy scale like flight. Take off is quick and landing is easy. With low wind loading, WCL is only 5.6, trainer class. As other mentioned, cross wind take off/landing is not an issue. As with other Hyperion planes, recommended CG is most aft position, I think. I placed 679g battery pack all the way into nose to get CG. I may need to add more right thrust. I keep applying right rudder. This setting gives plenty of flight time.

Kit finish is exceptional and complete. I recall I cut films only 3 parts (all holes are already open..) It is not so difficult to disassemble for transportation, only need to take care 6 wing bolts and 2 linkage rods.

Satoru

Satoru
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:58 PM
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotnuts
Chris (quietfly) does the 14 turn motor have a collet adapter or a bolt-on??
Collet adapter. I know, not ideal IMO, but they do test these extensively.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 01:01 PM
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
Satoru,

How have you been?

Any video yet?

Chris
Old Jul 20, 2009, 01:04 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
Someone just needs to build a better collet. I use a collet adapter on my 1600W plane with no issues. I know thats not an endorsement, but, the Perfect Prop Adapters that Sierra Hobby used to sell are a step above the rest. I wish someone with the means could put them back in production. They have a keyed collet to fit into the tapered washer, and the washer has a couple of flat spots on it to hold with a wrench. They also made the wrenched out of 1/8" aluminum to get between cowlings and the spinners. Very nice product that gripped the motor shaft very well.

Mike
Smash McCrash is online now Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Jul 20, 2009, 01:14 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,598 Posts
Hi Satoru..

What ESC are you using in your plane?? I have been waiting for the new Castle Creations "ICE" ESCs, but like the Energizer Bunny, the wait just keeps going and going and going...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:32 PM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Hi Steve,

That ESC is new Hyperion ATLAS and should be the similar as Scorpion? This has 120A 6S SBEC one temporarily which is a bit overkill. I heard it will be available soon.

Hello Chris. Actually my friend took video and posted on Youtube, but he used mobile phone and quality is terrible. I will try to get better one later. This is heaviest plane I have flown and very scale but as easy as pattern planes. I am watching real biplane show flight video (Not Pitts but Steaman or Waco?) to learn how it should fly.

Thanks.

Satoru
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru