HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:46 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietRCFly
I prefer either the Hyperion or Scorpion. The Scorpion is a little lighter and cheaper for guys who want to go that route.

Chris
www.quietrcflying.com
Actually the Hyperion Zs40 and Scorpion S40 should be nearly identical in weight, once the motors are mounted with adapters...

D
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:32 AM
United States, MI, Cedar
Joined Apr 2007
37 Posts
first flight

the first flight was good, flies good, but I would not do 3d with it, after 7 mintues into flight it throttle back on its own. landed but battery still had 50 % left. Though maybe it got hot, not sure, but would not restart. low rpm. Put new esc in no change, then I found my problem. I used a cc bec and did not remove the orange wire. Aslo I did not remove the red from esc. I was in a hurry to get it ready for a airshow and was working on it late, got tired and did that. I have to send my reciver to spektrum to have it checked. If you go to castle creations site there is a problem with older bec and spektrum, so beware.
tcwoodie is offline Find More Posts by tcwoodie
Old Jul 10, 2009, 07:05 AM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Any News?

Hi Guys,

Anybody been flying, or have comments?

David
Old Jul 10, 2009, 08:41 AM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
That has got to be one of the most beautiful RC airplanes I have ever seen. Awesome work Hyperion.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Jul 11, 2009, 09:57 AM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
Got to see a friends NIB yesterday. Except for the shipping damage, it looked great! And, wow, its HUGE. I didn't expect it to be quite so big. I have 2 Super Chippies, 1 still NIB in case of future incidents, and the fuse is dwarfed by Samson. Covering looked great, the cowl is a piece of art. Didn't get to see the wings because they were still in the box. But, it looks like Hyperion has another winner on their hands.

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Jul 12, 2009, 02:06 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,682 Posts
Hi Guys...

I just picked one of these kits up today from my local hobby shop. This was the first one they had gotten in. I had told the owner about this plane, but he hadn't seen one yet when I told him about it, and had just put an order in. I had told him that when he did get one in, I was going to get it, even if I had to steal it. I was the fourth person to look at the kit, but he was holding it for me...and boy is that one beautiful kit!!. I couldn't wait to get it home and open it up to inspect it, but it was worth the wait. Very light and well built. I am curious about something though...why were none of the edges of the rudder and elevators rounded off? I think it would have looked so much nicer..

So...a couple of questions. I have a one Hitec 5965 digital servo, and it looks like a close fit. I would need to buy three more at about $210.00,(and I have the programmer for these) but I also see the Atlas servos used in the review are only $39.95 which would only be $160.00. Any comments on them? Anybody used them (other than in the review, which were supplied with the plane)? I understand these are digital, so what programmer would be used for them?

And...as to a motor, I do have as low time Axi 5320-18, would that be too heavy? I was also wondering about an E-flite Power 90. I had the Axi in a Hangar 9 "Frenzy" which weighs 10 pounds. I was flying it on 8S 3850 TP V2 Extremes, but found by switching to an E-flite Power 110, I was able to gain 50KV as the Axi is about 250KV and the E-flite is 300KV...it did make quite a difference in performance. I notice that the E-flite Power 60 was mentioned, but it seems to me that would be too small.

And last but not least, anybody have the specs yet for the Hyperion ZS4025-16??

Thanks

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 12, 2009, 02:49 AM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
You can use the Hyperion USB programing cable or an Emeter2 (I've used both) on the Atlas servos. Great servos by any standards and the price is awesome. I've only used the Atlas servos on flaps so far (they can be programmed down to 1% speed, travel and direction also) on an airplane but, I've have several RC helicopters ranging from 200-550 class with Hyperion Atlas servos installed and the Atlas servos are outstanding. Most of my flying friends have replaced their original servos with the Hyperions.

I haven't had a chance to try the new wing servos but, as soon as I get bigger airplane I will.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:07 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
The review servos were bought and they continue to work great. I liked them so much that I bought a set of the UMD servos for my 89" 3DHS Slick. They work great there too and the programmer works way better than the Hitec IMO. The Power 60 will gove fine power for sport flying. No 3D though. I think the 5320/18 would be fine. Shoot for a 17 or 18" prop.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jul 12, 2009, 05:01 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,682 Posts
Quote:
The review servos were bought and they continue to work great.
Hi Feathermerchant....

Sorry, I assumed that all parts used were supplied by the folks that gave you the kit to review. (or did you purchase the kit for review??) I guess that's what I get for assuming..

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 13, 2009, 07:39 PM
262!
Seattle
Joined Jun 2006
40 Posts
Does this plane have airfoiled horizontal and vertical stabs?

TIA,

Kai
ichiro is offline Find More Posts by ichiro
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:09 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
A question came up about the tailsurfaces. Are they airfoiled or not?
http://www.wolfpitts.com/samson.html
It looks like they are not on the full scale. It looks to me like they are made of shaped and welded metal tubing covered with fabric.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 01:34 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,682 Posts
Hi Guys

I'm still curious why the edges are squared off instead of rounded like the real one, which uses tubing for the edges of the surfaces. To me this is the one thing that ruins the scale look of the plane. As I don't fly 3D, I have been thinking of tricking the plane out with more scale details, but to do this, I would actually have to make new elevators and a new rudder.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Jul 17, 2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 02:37 AM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
The edges are half-round, or extremely close to that. Do you have a Samson? If not, maybe the pics you're looking at just aren't showing the "roundness" very well...

Hmmm... I see you have a model of the Samson. I'll look at a few to see if they all are consistant on this point.

Anyway, I don't see why you'd need to build new parts, if yours are more squared than you like. Just cut down the LE a little below center, peel back the covering and tape it to the top/bottom surfaces of the stabs, and round the edges a liittle more. CA the covering back down. Viola! I could probably do it in 20 minutes, I think (maybe 10)...

Can you post a pic of your stabs, pls?

Anyone else have a Samson with square LE on the Stabs?

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep
Hi Guys

I'm still curious why the edges are squared off instead of rounded like the real one, which uses tubing for the edges of the surfaces. To me this is the one thing that ruins the scale look of the plane. As I don't fly 3D, I have been thinking of tricking the plane out with more scale details, but to do this, I would actually have to make new elevators and a new rudder.

SteveT
Last edited by NipponDave; Jul 17, 2009 at 02:42 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 08:36 AM
Joined May 2008
1,506 Posts
First thing that I'll check when mine gets here tomorrow...
Knotnuts is offline Find More Posts by Knotnuts
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:11 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Having flown the Samson for the past several months, if you decide not to buy one because of the elevator LE shape, you'll be kicking yourself for a long, long time. There are a lot of planes out there that fly so-so especially scale. This plane flys a lot better than most I've flown. Once you fly it, you'll forget about the shape of the LE, I promise.