HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:39 PM
Registered User
Mendo's Avatar
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Ken,

I dont think I am going to get to it tonight, I will get on it tomorrow at lunchtime for you though. I had a bunch of new packs and a couple esc's to put deans on after the honey-do-list was completed and Im pooped lol.

Matt
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:39 PM
Registered User
Mendo's Avatar
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Ill see about getting those pics finally.....I spent the whole morning out flying and would have stayed all day had I not needed to pick up my son after school lol! I have a couple root canals coming between now and thanksgiving the 1st of which is tomorrow morning I also stopped by the lhs and bought the 4th hs-7955tg I needed for the Samson so Im now down to some packs and Im in business! I should have some pics up in a bit and some measurements on the hacker motor.


Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:58 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,891 Posts
I'm curious how much you paid for that HS-7955TG?

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:44 PM
Registered User
Mendo's Avatar
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
$106 out the door after tax and so forth... A good deal IMO 4 of those bad boys ought to do the trick, not to mention the entire setup for this samson is drop in madness for a 3dhs 71 slick....I am a firm believer in investing in top notch servos, Ill get my moneys worth out of them over the years Im sure

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:59 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
$106 out the door after tax and so forth... A good deal IMO 4 of those bad boys ought to do the trick, not to mention the entire setup for this samson is drop in madness for a 3dhs 71 slick....I am a firm believer in investing in top notch servos, Ill get my moneys worth out of them over the years Im sure

Mendo
Next time....Chief Aircraft....and if you buy more than one, the shipping remains pretty much the same...

As you need a little extra weight in the front, wouldn't hurt to run them directly off of a 2S lipo, as they are HV servos....and stupidly fast on 7.4 volt.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:35 PM
Registered User
Mendo's Avatar
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Ken,

The pics didnt come out well, but long story short is use the short standoffs that come with the motor between the xmount and firewall and its Perfect. Without them you will be short 1mm clearing the cowl. It looks like its going to be a very nice matchup without any hassle of hunting down some spacers, sometimes luck does strike...


Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:12 PM
Registered User
skyracer068's Avatar
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2006
329 Posts
Wanted- Hyperion Samson II 70e arf NIB or built

I'm looking for a Hyperion Samson II 70e arf NIB or built. I'm willing to buy or trade.

Thanks for your time.
skyracer068 is offline Find More Posts by skyracer068
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:39 AM
Registered User
Mendo's Avatar
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Next time....Chief Aircraft....and if you buy more than one, the shipping remains pretty much the same...

As you need a little extra weight in the front, wouldn't hurt to run them directly off of a 2S lipo, as they are HV servos....and stupidly fast on 7.4 volt.

SteveT
Steve, The 7955tg's arent HV ( I wish ) and I am going to be running them at 6.0v via a CC bec pro and 2s lipo. I cannot remember which lube to use on the gears of the 7955tg's, seems to me it was a Tamiya product......Anyone recall? I also figgured you would be the one to ask on another question Steve, did you ever fly your Samson on 8s? I have already dropped some change on some good 6s packs, but I am kicking around the idea of going 8s ( I know it doesnt need the power, on 6s its more than enough ) I fly off of grass and while I dont have my Samson started yet I am wondering about clearance for a 19-20in prop and if its going to be a close shave and risk the odd prop ding in the grass going to an 18in prop and 8s could be a reasonable option.......Chime in with any pro's or cons to this setup or clearance experience swinging a 20in prop. ( I would really hate to ding up a Mejzlik hitting a little bump in the runway, and even banging up Xoar's gets pricey at this size )


Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:38 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,891 Posts
They work fine on HV....I am running the ones in my 89" Slick directly off of two Thunder Power 2S 25C 2700mAH packs. My Slick has one of the "Power safe" receivers in it, that has two power leads....the batteries plug directly into it, and the receivers powers the servos with no reduction in voltage.
And...pretty much all of the guys on the 3DHS 3D forums that are running HS-7955TGs are also running them at HV.

As to lubricant I use Hitec gear lube found here at the bottom of the listing, but you can use a light lithium grease like is used in fishing reels which can be found at any good sporting goods store.

Never flew it off of 8S.

Samson has lot of ground clearance....but if worried, use an APC prop, they work fine for this application, I flew mine with 8S...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Nov 21, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:47 PM
Registered User
Mendo's Avatar
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Hmm, I might get a life or A123 pack for the radio then....

APC prop eh... I dont mind them for really small stuff, but I much prefer wood or carbon props even on my park size stuff, and the Samson is too pretty for a plastic prop even when my bias isnt a factor...Thanks for the link to the gear lube as well Steve.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:53 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
Hmm, I might get a life or A123 pack for the radio then....

APC prop eh... I dont mind them for really small stuff, but I much prefer wood or carbon props even on my park size stuff, and the Samson is too pretty for a plastic prop even when my bias isnt a factor...Thanks for the link to the gear lube as well Steve.

Mendo
2S Lipo will give better performance than an A123, or LIFE....and you can use the same charger you use for your flight packs.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:39 PM
Registered User
Mendo's Avatar
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
My charger charges them all, and I am a bit leery of going to high over the 6v rating on the servos, some 6.6 life or a123's arent all that huge a jump vs a 2s lipo....I think to play it safe I should go with my original plan and run a 2s lipo to a bec pro set at 6v, and power the radio with that. I would cry like a baby if I had a servo fail mid flight :P

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:41 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
My charger charges them all, and I am a bit leery of going to high over the 6v rating on the servos, some 6.6 life or a123's arent all that huge a jump vs a 2s lipo....I think to play it safe I should go with my original plan and run a 2s lipo to a bec pro set at 6v, and power the radio with that. I would cry like a baby if I had a servo fail mid flight :P

Mendo
No need to worry about it, as they are perfectly safe on 2S lipo..Lets put it this way....as noted, I use them on 2S lipo's in my $2600.00 89" Slick....and if it wasn't safe, do you think I would?

But it is your plane, do as you like...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:53 PM
Registered User
Mendo's Avatar
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
No need to worry about it, as they are perfectly safe on 2S lipo..but it is your plane, do as you like...

SteveT
I think that not having any electric stuff this size and the sticker shock of the build with decent equipment is the reason for my caution. The 7955tg's will be way more than the Samson needs at 4.8v let alone 6v. After shelling out a good setup for an electric 25% 3d airframe ( 71 slick lets say ) packs and all, I am going to play it safe and run it all within factory specs. It should be sweet.


Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:28 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
I think that not having any electric stuff this size and the sticker shock of the build with decent equipment is the reason for my caution. The 7955tg's will be way more than the Samson needs at 4.8v let alone 6v. After shelling out a good setup for an electric 25% 3d airframe ( 71 slick lets say ) packs and all, I am going to play it safe and run it all within factory specs. It should be sweet.


Mendo
Check out this page......

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Hyperion's New Emeter II & RDU NipponDave Power Systems 715 Jul 26, 2013 10:21 AM
Discussion Blu-Baby Aerial Photography Aircraft mark II Tony65x55 Aerial Photography 6 Aug 07, 2007 11:46 AM
Hyperion CAP232 - aircraft-world.com Smifta Sport Planes 144 Dec 16, 2006 11:12 AM
Sold Samson II vett Boats (FS/W) 3 May 11, 2006 11:12 AM
Mystery Aircraft Vol II Sabrejock Scale Kit/Scratch Built 1 Apr 13, 2004 05:11 PM