HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Yes, you can use a 20" prop on the plane. As to the motor, I have three of them, and f they had been available when I bought my Samson, that's what I would have put in it. It is a very efficient motor. As to numbers, they really wouldn't mean a lot other than amps, as you can not compare the input wattage of a 28 pole motor to a 14 pole motor. Yes, you can use a Castle ICE 100 ESC. If you know who Joe Smith is, I can tell you that he uses a Castle ICE 100 with a 21X10 prop and does great 3D with that setup.

SteveT
Thanks Steve,

If the 20in prop will clear then I think the bigger motor might be the ticket. In regards to the esc, I think it will be ok as I will be sure to run the radio on a seperate bec and pack to give it all the breathing room possible. I should also mention that unlike myself, when Joe Smith's speed controls go *poof* and are followed by the sound of airframe impacting earth his sponsors will replace them. I have no such luxury so I make efforts to reduce any source of mechanical or equipment failure wherever I can. I am sure the cc ice light 100 will handle it as its rated higher than the motor pulls, Im just one of those "more is better" folks.....

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:38 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
Thanks Steve,

If the 20in prop will clear then I think the bigger motor might be the ticket. In regards to the esc, I think it will be ok as I will be sure to run the radio on a seperate bec and pack to give it all the breathing room possible. I should also mention that unlike myself, when Joe Smith's speed controls go *poof* and are followed by the sound of airframe impacting earth his sponsors will replace them. I have no such luxury so I make efforts to reduce any source of mechanical or equipment failure wherever I can. I am sure the cc ice light 100 will handle it as its rated higher than the motor pulls, Im just one of those "more is better" folks.....

Mendo
I am too!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
I cut out the x-mount pattern for the Motrolfly motor that I was planing to use and it does not fit the bolt pattern of the Samson motor mount. So I'm looking at the Scorpion 4035-250 or may be a Hacker.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:09 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
I cut out the x-mount pattern for the Motrolfly motor that I was planing to use and it does not fit the bolt pattern of the Samson motor mount. So I'm looking at the Scorpion 4035-250 or may be a Hacker.
I don't remember if the Hacker fit either....but I'm pretty sure it did not. Hyperion doesn't want people to use any motor other than the Hyperion motor, so they made the mount screw spacing an odd size....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
I don't remember if the Hacker fit either....but I'm pretty sure it did not. Hyperion doesn't want people to use any motor other than the Hyperion motor, so they made the mount screw spacing an odd size....

SteveT
That sucks! The hyperion 4025-16 is the same as the scoprion 4025-16 (actually the scorpipn is just a tad lighter). If this is the case, I'd think the motor mount pattern of the scorpion will fit. It if does, I'll go with the Scorpion 4035-250kv.
Last edited by chopper62; Sep 29, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:34 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,937 Posts
Quote:
That sucks! The hyperion 4025-16 is the same as the scoprion 4025-16 (actually the scorpipn is just a tad lighter). If this is the case, I'd think the motor mount pattern of the scorpion will fit. It if does, I'll go with the Scorpion 4035-250kv.
Actually, the newer Hyperion motors are made by Hacker....So, a Hacker motor like the A50-16S might fit. The A60-6XS won't unless you re-drill the holes, which is no big deal.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Can I use the Hacker 50-16lv2 without having to drill new holes? I measured the holes and they are 58mm apart. Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:18 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,937 Posts
Quote:
Can I use the Hacker 50-16lv2 without having to drill new holes? I measured the holes and they are 58mm apart. Thanks.
Somebody with a new plane or one with no motor on it will have to answer that, as I don't have one to measure for you...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Fedex says mine will be here on the 3rd, Ill get some measurements then.

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Somebody with a new plane or one with no motor on it will have to answer that, as I don't have one to measure for you...

SteveT
Oops! The motor mount on the Samson measured 58mm, not the x-mount of the Hacker. My fault.

Btw, what is the easiest and/or safe way to remove the blind nuts and wood support ... just in case I need to drill new holes? Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:26 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,937 Posts
The easiest way to remove blind nuts is to heat up a soldering iron with a small tip and insert it into the blind nut, and heat it up just enough to soften the glue (of course this presupposes that there is any glue on them at all), the tap them out. If there are doublers behind the firewall that the blind nuts are mounted in then, use "Golden West" Super Solvent to soften the glue, then remove them, and re-install in the new position.

The bolt holes on an A50 mount are 2.279" and 58mm equals 2.283" so, only .004" difference....an A50 will bolt up fine.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Sep 30, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:30 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,320 Posts
I just screw a mounting screw into the blind nut from the front a few turns then rap it with a wood block.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:32 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant View Post
I just screw a mounting screw into the blind nut from the front a few turns then rap it with a wood block.
That usually works too...but if they are glued, it can mess up the wood...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:05 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Hmm, now you guys are making me rethink my A50-12L plans I originally had! I guess when the kit gets here and I have eyeballs on it I will be able to make a choice.......

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
The easiest way to remove blind nuts is to heat up a soldering iron with a small tip and insert it into the blind nut, and heat it up just enough to soften the glue (of course this presupposes that there is any glue on them at all), the tap them out. If there are doublers behind the firewall that the blind nuts are mounted in then, use "Golden West" Super Solvent to soften the glue, then remove them, and re-install in the new position.

The bolt holes on an A50 mount are 2.279" and 58mm equals 2.283" so, only .004" difference....an A50 will bolt up fine.

SteveT
Thank Steve.