HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Aug 2008
479 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input on the CC 120 HV ESC. I was going by what the Hacker web site said was a "combo" for that motor. The Samson arrived yesterday from AlleRC incredible service. I would like to pick up the servos and such from them as well since I don't think they made much on the plane. The box recommends the Hyperion DS20-FMD servos, sound ok for this plane?

al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:32 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,526 Posts
Personally, I think you would do better with some Hitec servos...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:52 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
I used Hyperion servos on the review plane and they are fine. No problems.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Aug 2008
479 Posts
Hey Steve,

Forgive my stupid question here but on the following since I'm still trying to figure all this out...

"Yes she is.....just DO NOT believe the suggested CG....make sure you have it at least 3/8" to 1/2" forward of where they say for the first flight.....:

When you say forward does that mean that you are suggestion moving the CG or Balance point forward towards the front of the plane? If so doesn't that make the plane more tail heavy? Or are you saying moving the CG balance point towards the back of the plane and having an extra 3/8"-1/2" of the fuselage forward of the CG/balance point? Sorry I'm sure this has been asked to death but I'm never sure of which way to go on this issue.

Thanks in advance.
al
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
From the posts I read, move the batt. a bit forward and/or add spinner otherwise the plane will be tail heavy. I fly 3d so being tail heavy will not bother me (better for harrier landing) so long as it is not too tail heavy.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:46 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer View Post
Hey Steve,

Forgive my stupid question here but on the following since I'm still trying to figure all this out...

"Yes she is.....just DO NOT believe the suggested CG....make sure you have it at least 3/8" to 1/2" forward of where they say for the first flight.....:

When you say forward does that mean that you are suggestion moving the CG or Balance point forward towards the front of the plane? If so doesn't that make the plane more tail heavy? Or are you saying moving the CG balance point towards the back of the plane and having an extra 3/8"-1/2" of the fuselage forward of the CG/balance point? Sorry I'm sure this has been asked to death but I'm never sure of which way to go on this issue.

Thanks in advance.
al
Moving the balance point forward means you have to put more weight in the front to get it to balance (or yes, the plane would be tail heavy.)....but this is what you want.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:26 PM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,153 Posts
subscribed...
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:29 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmisuinas View Post
subscribed...
Hi Pete....did you get the stab on the Samson I sold you repaired? I called lots of places that I heard had had parts for it, but alas to no avail. One thing I didn't think to do was to ask if anybody had crashed one and had a good stab....so....if anybody has a good stab for a 70E Samson let me or Pete know and I'll buy it for him.....

(And in case anybody wonders, the plane was damaged in shipment, but Pete was very cool about it)

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:08 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,153 Posts
Hey, Steve, have not repaired it yet, as I am still trying to clear out all my other ongoing projects. I did stumble across this thread, though, and have kind of glanced through it. Will read it completely over the next few weeks. I think the stab repair is going to be a winter project and I will have it ready to go next flying season.

I didn't think about advertising for a crash leftover either, although if something of mine is so crumpled from a crash that only the stab was in decent shape, it would go in the trash when I got home and there wouldn't be any parts left over. But if someone does end up with a stab, yes, I would like to have it.

Looking forward to benefiting from everyone else's experience. As they say, knowledge is learning from your own mistakes, wisdom is learning from everyone else's :-) Pete M
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Aug 2008
479 Posts
I have some HiTec HS645MG servos. Would they work for this plane?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:46 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Well, I couldnt resist and pulled the trigger one one of these. I need to buy some new servos and a motor for it, as I have had great luck with hitec digitals and hacker motors I am looking for the ideal offerings from them. I have a new cc ice light 100 sitting around I plan to use and if needed a cc 10a bec as well. I plan on going the 6s 4000-5000 pack route and would like to know what you guys think would be the best choices for the motor and servos. I should mention that I lean more to the 3d power to weight side when it comes to narrowing things down, although I have a feeling I will be doing more scale flying with this one than serious 3d, but I still would like it to have unlimited vertical when I want to wring it out.

Thanks,
Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:30 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
I am thinking the Hacker A50-12L V2 is going to be right on the money, any thoughts? Now to spend some time eyeballing Hitec's site.........

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:13 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
I am thinking the Hacker A50-12L V2 is going to be right on the money, any thoughts? Now to spend some time eyeballing Hitec's site.........

Mendo
Yeah....the Samson comes out a bit tail heavy, so put a heavier motor in the front so you can slide the pack back...and a GREAT motor for this plane would be the Hacker A60-6XS!!

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Yeah....the Samson comes out a bit tail heavy, so put a heavier motor in the front so you can slide the pack back...and a GREAT motor for this plane would be the Hacker A60-6XS!!

SteveT
I was looking at the A60-6XS as well, and without having yet received my Samson I dont know if I can swing 20in prop on it or if its going to be to big, I wonder what its numbers come out at turning say a 18x12 or so as I know that will clear just fine. I suppose a big 3 blader might be ideal on it though....Has anyone bought one of the 60-6XS motors yet who can provide some numbers? I also have to consider the amp draw hacker posted on their site about the 6XS as I already have a CC ice lite 100 and dont really want to part with more cash for a bigger esc. ( I am one of those folks who has to have some overhead amps when it comes to the esc's rating and the motors draw ) I am not in a huge hurry to get all the goodies for the Samson so I might as well find the ideal setup and budget accordingly.

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:45 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
I was looking at the A60-6XS as well, and without having yet received my Samson I dont know if I can swing 20in prop on it or if its going to be to big, I wonder what its numbers come out at turning say a 18x12 or so as I know that will clear just fine. I suppose a big 3 blader might be ideal on it though....Has anyone bought one of the 60-6XS motors yet who can provide some numbers? I also have to consider the amp draw hacker posted on their site about the 6XS as I already have a CC ice lite 100 and dont really want to part with more cash for a bigger esc. ( I am one of those folks who has to have some overhead amps when it comes to the esc's rating and the motors draw ) I am not in a huge hurry to get all the goodies for the Samson so I might as well find the ideal setup and budget accordingly.

Mendo
Yes, you can use a 20" prop on the plane. As to the motor, I have three of them, and f they had been available when I bought my Samson, that's what I would have put in it. It is a very efficient motor. As to numbers, they really wouldn't mean a lot other than amps, as you can not compare the input wattage of a 28 pole motor to a 14 pole motor. Yes, you can use a Castle ICE 100 ESC. If you know who Joe Smith is, I can tell you that he uses a Castle ICE 100 with a 21X10 prop and does great 3D with that setup.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member