SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:15 AM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant View Post
So did you let your wife fly it?

No, worse, I was flying! . My esc had a bad reputation for squealing a motor when you try to add power quickly from idle with a freshly charged pack. Happened to a couple of buddies in their 70" planes, but never happened to me. That is until I tried a low altitude wall over a baseball diamond. . Anyhow, the plane flew great and I loved every minute flying it. I got really frustrated with the lack of parts and the explanation given by a Hyperion rep about the lack if parts. I ended up just parking the bird in the attic. Wish I knew how to patch/paint fiberglass. The plane itself is in great shape, hardly any other damage. But there's a new one coming and when I get that one in the air, I'm sure it'll bring a smile to face like the first one did!!!!

pootman
pootman is online now Find More Posts by pootman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
You might try RCDude for parts. I bought a cowl and wheel pants. Too low KE loop. Disappeared behind the trees. etc.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:43 PM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
755 Posts
I'll check them out. Thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Aug 2008
504 Posts
I hate you guys....................all this talk and a great price........now I've gone and spent my birthday money on the Samson.
Not knocking any of the other motor brands I just tend to lean towards Hacker Motors. Any suggestions for a Hacker motor and prop combo on 6s batteries?

Thanks,
al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:22 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Look at the weight and KV of the recommended Hyperion motor and match that close as you can to a Hacker. You should be good. A little heavier is preferred. As the plane is designed for the Hyperion, a longer or shorter motor may require mods.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
I've been busy ... as such, I've finally taken possession of the Samson ii 70e today. Could not get the wings to fit in the trunk of the two-seater. They barely fit inside with the rag top up.

I'm working on the decals/vinyls/graphics so it may be a while before her introduction ...
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:40 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer View Post
I hate you guys....................all this talk and a great price........now I've gone and spent my birthday money on the Samson.
Not knocking any of the other motor brands I just tend to lean towards Hacker Motors. Any suggestions for a Hacker motor and prop combo on 6s batteries?

Thanks,
al
Hacker A60-6XS on 6S would be a match made in heaven for this plane!!! Not inexpensive.....but great motor!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:23 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,077 Posts
I love it when I come home from work and see junk on my porch.
TomM is offline Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Aug 2008
504 Posts
Thanks Steve T,
The motor price is not TOO bad but the CC ICE 120 HV ESC is up there. Kinda strange when the motor/esc is double the price of the plane!

Ah well like my teen daughter says......"YOLO"......"you only live once".

al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:36 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Wait a 120HV is what I have in my 50cc Extreme Flight Yak on 12S running a Hacker Q80.
No wonder you think it is so expensive. It's the wrong controller. All you need is a 6S 100A controller. You can even get an ICE with a switching, adjustable BEC and save there too.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:00 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer View Post
Thanks Steve T,
The motor price is not TOO bad but the CC ICE 120 HV ESC is up there. Kinda strange when the motor/esc is double the price of the plane!

Ah well like my teen daughter says......"YOLO"......"you only live once".

al
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant View Post
Wait a 120HV is what I have in my 50cc Extreme Flight Yak on 12S running a Hacker Q80.
No wonder you think it is so expensive. It's the wrong controller. All you need is a 6S 100A controller. You can even get an ICE with a switching, adjustable BEC and save there too.
Nope....you don't need a 120... I'm sure you know who Joe Smith is (if not go on YouTube and search for him), and he uses the A60-6XS with Ice100's in quite a few of his planes.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
While waiting for motor, decals, etc. I dry-fitted the parts and she's puuurrrrrrrty.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:31 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
While waiting for motor, decals, etc. I dry-fitted the parts and she's puuurrrrrrrty.
Yes she is.....just DO NOT believe the suggested CG....make sure you have it at least 3/8" to 1/2" forward of where they say for the first flight.....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:56 AM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Hacker A60-6XS on 6S would be a match made in heaven for this plane!!! Not inexpensive.....but great motor!!

SteveT
What size prop are you running with the 6XS? I was looking at the A60XS's but at a higher kv to try to limit the prop size to 18 or 19 inches.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:15 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootman View Post
What size prop are you running with the 6XS? I was looking at the A60XS's but at a higher kv to try to limit the prop size to 18 or 19 inches.
Then with the brand new A60-5XS, you can run an 18X8 Xoar, though probably not an APC. I run a 20X10 on my A60-6XS. And it pulls a 3D Hobby Shop 71" Slick with authority....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member