Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:23 PM
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jun 2006
972 Posts
Chris,
It has been a while. I've been getting some good mileage out of my last few planes. The Samson looks like it could be a nice addition to any collection though! Hope the store is doing well.

All the best,

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietRCFly
Hey Sean, haven't heard from you in a while.

I don't think the main goal of this design is 3D anyway, but would have to agree with you. I bet we could come up with a power option that would improve its performance for 3D however!

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
Warbirds Rule is offline Find More Posts by Warbirds Rule
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:53 AM
All electric, all the time!
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
Expected in the US around May 15.

Here is the box label for more information: (larger version in the attachement)
QuietRCFly is offline Find More Posts by QuietRCFly
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:58 AM
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
David was in another thread talking about their new ZS motors. Here is what he had to say about the motor for the Samson II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave
I just got the box label done for our big new Wolf Samson II biplane. It's a good example of why the ZS40 series motors are worth the extra money (and not THAT much extra) compared to the average motor. The recommended ZS4025-14 motor can handle 1450W on 6S with a 16x10 prop and remain highly efficient. At that level, the 8.5lb model is ballistic and fully 3D-able. No other motor we tried in the same weight class could come close to the same performance...

Samson II should be in USA on about May 15th, we expect.

D
And about their new motors and ESC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave
Hey Everybody,

Yes, the new ZS series motors (and ATLAS ESC, coming in about 6 weeks) are based on the products of thousands of hours of design, test, design, test over the past 18 months. Hyperion ZS motors are internally based on the newest line of Scorpion motors ("S2" series) and so share their tremendous performance. It's just nutty how much power you can pump into them, and how much comes out at the prop... Or, alternatively, they use a lot less wattage to produce the same output as the average motor on the market, which means you can use smaller (and therefore cheaper and lighter) battery packs and have them last longer.

The Hyperion ZS motors are externally different from the Scorpion in most cases, reflecting Hyperion's preferences for mounting and adapter systems, and in order to insure drop-in fit for Hyperion models.

The new ATLAS ESC will be hardware identical to the upcoming new versions of Scorpion ESC. These have been massively redesigned to provide the lowest internal resistance figures in their classes, meeting or beating even Kontronic in this respect. Many hundreds of design and test hours have been poured into firmware optimizations as well, and especially for the Governor system, which is by far the most stable we have ever tested in any brand, at this point. The new ESC also use the newest, finest (and expensive) metal FETs for superior performance and reliability. More details on ATLAS ESC later...

Sorry that we don't have full specs and test data up yet for the ZS motors. I'll try to get those done by Sunday evening and give you the links.

Back at you with ZS motor details asap.

Cheers,

David
Last edited by QuietRCFly; Mar 26, 2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 06:36 PM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,072 Posts
Awesome airplane!One of my favorite Bipes.Will there be any smaller size versions offered?Like 25E?There was also talk in a year or two back about the Oracle Challenger.Would that be a future consideration?
bouncebk2003 is offline Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:18 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
A real looker for sure!!
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Apr 28, 2009, 04:59 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
I would agree. I've always loved biplanes with radial engines.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Apr 28, 2009, 05:16 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncebk2003
Awesome airplane!One of my favorite Bipes.Will there be any smaller size versions offered?Like 25E?There was also talk in a year or two back about the Oracle Challenger.Would that be a future consideration?

We're considering a "30e" version of Samson2, but it would likely be 12 months or more before ready for sale, if we decide to do it.

Oracle Challenger is still on the table. We'll see how the Samson and Vipers sell and make a decision later on that.

Cheers,

David
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Old Apr 28, 2009, 05:52 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Dave,

The pamphlet says that KE is clean with NO MIXING. Is this true and have you found the holy grail that has plagued many bipe design for years?
Old Apr 28, 2009, 09:53 AM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc
Dave,

The pamphlet says that KE is clean with NO MIXING. Is this true and have you found the holy grail that has plagued many bipe design for years?
Good question... Can't be sure about the answer. When we were developing the Helios 90e, I was there several flight days and watched it go arrow-straight with no mixing for KE. Some reviews since mentioned that the KE behavior was "excellent" with the Helios, but that they used some small mixing to make it better.

Even a very small variation from one model to the next - or exactly where CG is, and trims on controls are - can make a significant change in flight performance.

Bottom line is that the Samson was very good in testing. I think many pilots will leave it "as is", and some will prefer some mixing, and everybody will like it.

David
Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:32 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Awesome. I'll be looking forward to more flight reports.
Old May 05, 2009, 09:41 PM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,412 Posts
Any updates? This bipe looks great.
Doctor Who is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2009, 11:00 PM
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Any updates? This bipe looks great.
It should be out in a couple weeks if they are still no schedule, but no new news. If I had pricing info, we would offer a pre-sale, but we don't at this point.

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
Old May 05, 2009, 11:04 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
I think you're gonna like how this thing goes together.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old May 07, 2009, 08:48 AM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Container to USA just left the gate. Should arrive in 4 weeks I think. I think they have only 60 coming, so pre-order is probably a good idea, as it'll be August/Sept before the next batch arrives. Retail is about $300 for the model, but we will likely be selling them only with the Zs4025 motor included for around $400 total (i.e. the motor at a discount). Should be full info coming to dealers in the next 10 days.

Chris, maybe you can take non-binding reservations by email (or PM) till then?

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietRCFly
It should be out in a couple weeks if they are still no schedule, but no new news. If I had pricing info, we would offer a pre-sale, but we don't at this point.

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com