HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2009, 06:44 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
I've flown mine with 6S 4000 and 5000 packs. You need the weight up front. Trust me. One servo is all you need. Really.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2009, 08:16 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Feb 2009
16 Posts
Elevator connector wire

Thanks for the information so far. I'll be using 6S 5000 packs from my helicopter. I'll order the ZS4025-16 motor and I think NipponDave recommended a 17x10 prop with that, pending further ESC timing tests. Maybe a 17x12? I don't fly 3D, but more like regular pattern plane type stuff, sort of. I don't need hovering thrust or screaming top speed. Some power to hold some speed on vertical for stall turns and square loops is enough. I'd rather keep the electronics cooler and have some extra battery life. Personal preference.

Any ideas on the prop choice for me? I have a Hyperion Opto 80A ESC sitting here already. I'll try that at first.

I was just curious about the elevator joiner, based on the springiness of the one on my 40e Extra. It seemed to work well enough. I just thought I'd like it stiffer, given a choice.

I appreciate being able to tap into the knowledge base here. Even though I might not want quite what others want, at least I can use the borrowed ideas to help me converge on what I want quicker.

Jeff
jlastofka is offline Find More Posts by jlastofka
Old Aug 26, 2009, 09:52 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,097 Posts
Quote:
The 16T motor is a good choice for smoother power on 6S (I like 18x12), or a very powerful 8S setup on smaller packs like 3700mAh to 4200mAh.
Hi David....

I'm curious as to what prop you would use on 8S, as, as I said, I already have some 8S setups.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:56 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
If you don't fly 3d then you probably want a further forward CG which would point you further away from the second elevator servo.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:07 AM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Feb 2009
16 Posts
In an earlier post, Dave said

"With the Zs4025-16 and suggested 6S batteries (4200/5000 VX 6S) prop to start should be 17x10. 17x12 or 18x10 are options depending on your style and batteries. (up to maybe 18x12 with static current test)"

I'm thinking for my use, the 17x10 or 17x12 might be the right starting point. I've got a pair of 6S 5000 30C batteries for my helicopter and I could share them with this plane and the 16T motor I think.

When he said he liked the 18x12, I suspect that might be for hovering, something I don't care about myself. I was hoping to get a feel for using the 17x10 or ?? with that motor and my battery to fly more or less like a pattern plane. In other words, square loops, four point rolls, rolling circles, stall turns, etc. Flying - not hovering and tumbling. It's what I like. I'm just mentioning that to steer the advice to be relevant to my use. It's not meant to criticize what people like to do with their planes.
jlastofka is offline Find More Posts by jlastofka
Old Sep 01, 2009, 02:02 PM
Citizen #96
NE Denver, CO
Joined Sep 2007
708 Posts
This plane really captured my Lust sooo; it should be at my LHS thurs or Fri.
-16 power, 18*10 or 12 prop. CC HV85. G3 v5500 6s. HYP servos. CC 10amp BEC. I was going to try the new ICE controller but the LHS says they're hard to come by?

Hopefully the 5500 pack will not be too heavy. It sounds like the plane can use the weight up front.

This plane is one of the prettiest I've seen in a long time.

Steve
Steve Graham is offline Find More Posts by Steve Graham
Old Sep 01, 2009, 08:52 PM
Virginia Beach Va.
Joined Nov 2001
503 Posts
Ya' know I tried to E-mail Steve Wolf a month or two ago for information on his new Wolf Pitts. Never got a reply back from him which kinda ticks me off. All I said was I was interested in building a model of it and would like some information. I know a little off topic but you'd think I would at least get a "sorry can't help you at this time" reply.
Speedfreak is offline Find More Posts by Speedfreak
Old Sep 02, 2009, 12:22 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak
Ya' know I tried to E-mail Steve Wolf a month or two ago for information on his new Wolf Pitts. Never got a reply back from him which kinda ticks me off. All I said was I was interested in building a model of it and would like some information. I know a little off topic but you'd think I would at least get a "sorry can't help you at this time" reply.
Hi Speedfreak...

A Number of years ago, I was interested in building a scale model of another plane that Steve Wolf built called the "Cyclone" which was basically a monoplane version of the Samson.

the Cyclone

I called him and he was nice enough to talk to me for a few minutes and did give me some info on the plane, however I forgot to ask one thing, and when I called back, a "lady" (possibly his wife) answered the phone... oh man!! she was another story all together!! She read me up one side and down the other for calling and bothering him, telling me that he had a business to run, and didn't have time to talk to anybody that wasn't interested in purchasing an aircraft from him.

This may be the reason that you haven't heard anything back, as she may have gotten the email instead of him...

And....just as a matter of mentioning...At the same time I contacted the person who owned the Cyclone at that time, and he acted like even more of a jerk. I explained that I was interested in building a "one off" (not a commercial endeavor) scale model of his plane, and his comment (with a very snotty attitude) was.. "why would I want to let you build a model of my plane..The Cyclone is MY PLANE!!!" Heck if I owned a plane, and somebody wanted to build a scale model of it, I would be happy as could be.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Sep 02, 2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 02:32 AM
Virginia Beach Va.
Joined Nov 2001
503 Posts
Being a full scale pilot myself I know how some peoples heads can get in aviation when they have something everyone else wants or wants to try. Overall most airshow performers I have talked to are about the nicest people you can meet, however I have also met some that need their attitude adjusted. After all a big ego can be more unsafe than many manuvers.
Speedfreak is offline Find More Posts by Speedfreak
Old Sep 02, 2009, 11:51 AM
Citizen #96
NE Denver, CO
Joined Sep 2007
708 Posts
Sorry to hear these tales.

Aviation has always had its share of notoriously testy folks. Burt Rutan comes to mind. My own Godfather was a senior training captain and legendary crank at the airline my dad flew for and in a sad ironic twist essentially drank himself to death. Anyway these guys tend to leave behind a lot of great stories in their wake. Unfortunately they also tend to turn even more people away from aviation. Its one trait I have never respected in aviation. Seems at some point some individuals decide that they have "paid their dues" and annoint themselves the keepers of the secrets in charge of abusing all newcommers until they prove themselves worthy. I've also known some of the most experienced folks possible with an entire lifetime in the field who still cherished the opportunity to share themselves with any and all.

There are also always those who feel they might somehow miss out on a dollar if someone trods on their trademark. The airline I work for has an ignorant witch in marketing who has never got our brand out as she should have but nevertheless went to war against one of our pilots who had the temarity to have a model made in tiawan of one of our aircraft so that he could display it in his own home. He did this because there were no models available commercially thanks largely to this womans misguided attempts to protect our brand. Some people just dont get the concept of free advertising.

Sorry for the rant. Back to our original programming. I am still super excited to get this beautiful model flying.

Steve
Steve Graham is offline Find More Posts by Steve Graham
Old Sep 02, 2009, 01:41 PM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Please keep in mind that these aviation companies are tiny. The owners do often do themselves the jobs of accountant, IT tech, designer, builder, and janitor... just to keep the business running.

And so they often face looming deadlines and have to work long hours to succeeed.

As a result, you may find your emails unanswered at times, or someone cranky over an interruption in an extremely hectic day.

I can only say that Steve Wolf was very kind to allow us to model the Samson II, gracious at all times, and helpful in supplying some of the data we needed to do the job right.

These people bring us fantastic airplanes that fuel our hobby and our dreams. Imo, we should be grateful for those times they can help, and understanding when they can't or won't.

David

PS: The current owner of the Samson II is in Germany, and very happy to be involved with our effort. In fact, he may be able to make some passes over the airfield at an upcoming Hyperion Flight Day in Europe, if we can get the schedules to mesh...
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Old Sep 02, 2009, 04:24 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,097 Posts
Hi David...

I totally agree about Steve Wolf, as he was very nice when I called, and did freely give me the info I requested, it was only when I called back that I ran into trouble.

And....I had asked a while back, but unfortunately never got a response, what is the "best" prop to use on 8S?? If the specs for the Zs4025-16 were available, I would not have to ask, but I can not find them anywhere.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 02, 2009, 10:02 PM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep
Hi David...

I totally agree about Steve Wolf, as he was very nice when I called, and did freely give me the info I requested, it was only when I called back that I ran into trouble.

And....I had asked a while back, but unfortunately never got a response, what is the "best" prop to use on 8S?? If the specs for the Zs4025-16 were available, I would not have to ask, but I can not find them anywhere.

SteveT
Sorry, I have been travelling non-stop for nearly a month now, and stuck in many meetings and on the road. Haven't been able to quite keep up. But I'm back online 100% now...

Usable range for the Samson 2 with Zs4025-16 on 8S will be 15x8 to 16x8. I'd start with the 15x8 and see how you like it. 16x10 might be possible if your batts are a bit saggy under load, and/or if you are at higher altitudes (like 3000 asl or above).

David
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Old Sep 03, 2009, 07:45 PM
Assistant Pitman's Helper
Laval, Quebec, Canada
Joined Jul 2009
199 Posts
I have a simple and honnest question for this thread.

After seing this ARF advertized I immediately knew I had to have one. I ordered it trough my local Hobby Shop who is the biggest promoter of Hyperion Products I have ever meet and finnally got the plane. What turns out to be one of the, if not the most frustrating experience of my modeling life beggan.

My question is this; Is this the right place to talk about it?
I am not in a vendictive mode, I just want to know if I'm the only one to have such a hard time with this ARF.

Plus will I be Band for talking bad about a sponsors products?
R.Gareau is offline Find More Posts by R.Gareau
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tradition
Old Sep 03, 2009, 07:53 PM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Gareau
I have a simple and honnest question for this thread.

After seing this ARF advertized I immediately knew I had to have one. I ordered it trough my local Hobby Shop who is the biggest promoter of Hyperion Products I have ever meet and finnally got the plane. What turns out to be one of the, if not the most frustrating experience of my modeling life beggan.

My question is this; Is this the right place to talk about it?
I am not in a vendictive mode, I just want to know if I'm the only one to have such a hard time with this ARF.

Plus will I be Band for talking bad about a sponsors products?
Maybe you should comment about some of your concerns and see if anyone has experienced the same issue. If so they also may have a way to resolve it.
Doctor Who is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who
RCG Plus Member