HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2009, 03:16 PM
United Kingdom, England, West York
Joined Aug 2008
179 Posts
Discussion
26g Micro 3D half size F3P Cirrus Plan & Video

Knocked this up last week....Hopefully I will be flying it at Rochdale this weekend

Basics....
All 2mm Depron except lower fus which is 3mm
Pushrods and u/c are 1mm x 0.5mm carbon tube. All other carbon is 0.8mm rod.
Radio is a modified PZ board, TOKI on rudder, 1g 3A esc, AP03 motor, 4 x 2 GWS prop...Various batteries 1S 100 / 180 & 240 mAh LiPo.
Bellcrank & horns 1/32 plywood.
It weighs 26g excluding the battery....I'm making one out of epp next.

Inspiration from Firetrappe at last months Rochdale fly-in.....I don't want inspiring this month though as this has cost approx 90.00 all in

I have included the half size plan in PDF form if you fancy building one.
All credit to this plane must go to the designer whom I believe lives in France....All I did was shrink it..The full size plan is available on the forum eslewhere if you fancy making the big one.

I put most of the gear on the top of the plane , on view ,on purpose, so it can be seen and people won't be tempted to pick it up to look.

Coffin shaped plane carrier is 6mm Depron...It would have had a lid if I hadn't run out !!!
2.4g shaun is online now Find More Posts by 2.4g shaun
Last edited by 2.4g shaun; Mar 17, 2009 at 05:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2009, 03:53 PM
Master Crasher
Fletcher, NC
Joined Oct 2008
681 Posts
Nice build. Is the coffin just in case you crash, so your plane can Rest In Pieces?
zultone is offline Find More Posts by zultone
Old Mar 11, 2009, 03:54 PM
Mem Martins, PORTUGAL
Joined Jan 2002
236 Posts
Well done and thanks for the plan
If you can post a video of it flying.

Chispas
chispas2 is offline Find More Posts by chispas2
Old Mar 11, 2009, 04:00 PM
Joined Aug 2008
179 Posts
Rest in Pieces

I'll try to get some vid of it ....If not and it does end up in bits, I'll certainly post a picture of it in it's final resting place, prior to the burial.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 04:49 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
197 Posts
that is really cool, i was actually just thinking of building one of those myself... but that is after i get a little better with just the stock vapor

and i would definitely like to see a video too
speare is offline Find More Posts by speare
Old Mar 15, 2009, 01:35 PM
Joined Aug 2008
179 Posts
Micro Cirrus

It flies a treat !!!!!

I will have a tiny bit of video to post......
Brilliant roll rate,knife edges great...still it should as the fus area is about the same as the wing area....Unsure about the wing brake things...I may cut them off and see what difference it makes if any...

Used 60% expo on Ailerons and Elevator...Linear on Rudder.

Only definate mod needs to be on the u/c... I will use 1mm carbon rod next time instead of the 1 x 0.5mm tube on the mk 1.....yes I broke it ... I also changed the prop to a 4.5 x 3 GWS... esc didn't overheat..LiPo didn't explode ( 180mAh 1S 20C from Hobby City)...The extra thrust made a difference to it's performance....

Shaun
Last edited by 2.4g shaun; Mar 15, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 06:40 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3 Posts
Micro Cirrus Video

Finally got round to posting the video of Shaun's Cirrus in the Electric Video's forum (I had to put it there as the file was too big, around 5MB, to add to this thread).

Link to the video is http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1018147

The Cirrus flew ok. Looks like it could do with slightly more power or less weight.

Rob.
robjday is offline Find More Posts by robjday
Old Mar 16, 2009, 06:49 PM
Mem Martins, PORTUGAL
Joined Jan 2002
236 Posts
Congratulations, Shaun :9
It flyes great
Would love to build one as soon as i get the time

Chispas
chispas2 is offline Find More Posts by chispas2
Old Mar 16, 2009, 07:38 PM
Joined Aug 2008
179 Posts
Micro Cirrus

Cheers Rob for sorting the Vid out.....

Power issue was sorted by changing prop...this was the 1st flight with a 4 x 2.5 GWS....Much improved when it was changed for a 4.5 x 3 GWS.....

Now got about 50g ( ish) of thrust on a 29g model...The EPP version will be lighter.

PS Rob The reason I can fly slow is my throttle is proprotional..It works all the way between off and full..
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:37 AM
Joined Aug 2008
179 Posts
20" & 22" Midi Cirrus Plans

Hi,

my mate has scaled the Cirrus for me to 20 & 22 inches....this size should be good for 5 & 10g motors and conventional micro radio gear if you don't have the PZ board....

Suggest using 3 x 2.5 - 3.6g servos, Spektrum AR6300 or a lightened AR 6100 and a turnigy 6A lightened esc. A 2S 240mAh LiPo will do the job for the 5G motor....current would need checking for the 10g one so you don't pop the cells

Only disadvantage is it's probably too big to fly in the slow fly slots at this size, but less demanding to build...

The PDF's are tiled so they can be printed out on a standard printer and joined up.....
Old Mar 24, 2009, 04:05 PM
Joined Apr 2006
23 Posts
2.4g shaun:

Which version of the AP03 motor is on this 26 g model, the 4000 KV one, or the 7500 KV one?

Jack
jackreid1 is offline Find More Posts by jackreid1
Old Mar 24, 2009, 05:30 PM
Joined Aug 2008
179 Posts
Hi,

its the one wound for 1S the 7500Kv version.

Rgds,

Shaun
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:33 AM
Joined Aug 2008
567 Posts
How did you hook up the 3rd servo to the servo board? There is not an extra output is there?
helidude22 is offline Find More Posts by helidude22
Old Mar 25, 2009, 07:58 AM
Joined Aug 2008
179 Posts
Hi, there are threads on RC groups describing how you can modify the latest versions of the Vapour board to get the extra channels off..you will need some skill to do this or you can easily damage the board.... They are known as the green dot versions...
Also you will need to use a couple of Tx mixers to swap the existing throttle channel to channel 5 so you can drive an esc . As I fly mode 2 I didn't need to swap the rudder and aileron around...model 1 flyers will need to do it.

Alternatively, the 6400 Rx will be on sale very soon from Horizon, this is the vapour board with the extra sockets already mounted on the board, if you're not happy at soldering ( sorry..I believe you guys in the states call it soddering.....never figured this one out?)

Shaun
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:44 AM
Joined Apr 2006
23 Posts
Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the info on motor version. I didn't twig at first that you fly at Rochdale in the UK , but your soldering comments seems to confirn a UK base. I live way up in Scotland, where modellers are very thin on the ground (or in gyms).

I find the video of your model very impressive, particularly that you're able to get such slow speeds, not much more than the Vapors buzzing around at the same time. My own flight interests are quite sedate, sport or scale(ish) models, and your model really inspires me to try out the power train and electronics you used on some designs of my own.

Were you able to source the AP03 motor in the UK, or did you import from China?

Fifty grams of thrust on a 3 gram one cell motor is impressive. I asked about the KV version because I am wondering if the two cell motor (4000 KV), if run on one cell, would allow a larger prop to be used (say, a Micro Invent 5030), and produce thrust in the region of your setup (say 45 to 50 grams), and so be a bit more suitable for, perhaps slightly larger, scale type models. I'd need to acquire the two versions, and run tests, to see, of course, but perhaps you've already done that. So I ask.

Thanks for any help, and congrats on your fine flying machine.

Jack
jackreid1 is offline Find More Posts by jackreid1